Big Sur Lodging Help

Search

Big Sur Lodging Help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Sur Lodging Help

Has anyone stayed at the Glen Oaks Motel...my reserach tells me their cottages are quite nice and at a great price. ALso has good reveiws on Tripadvisor. Debating between that and Ripplewood Resrot or Deetjen's, but not thrilled about the complaints of DJ's thin wall factor (I'm a light sleeper).

Thanks.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 03:44 PM
nez

I've stayed at the Glen Oaks and the Ripplewood Resort. They are very different, but I was pleased with both stays. Glen Oaks is just a simple motel, but I remember the innkeeper being really nice.
The Ripplewood Resort has individual cabins, very rustic. It can get a little noisy because I think a lot of families with children choose to stay there because it is inexpensive. I liked it though.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 01:40 AM

Deetjen's has thin walls, but the place is immensely charming. It is a really special place, and the restaurant is top-notch. It is also a lot pricier then either of the other places. If you can afford it, I would do Deetjen's. It's a place you will remember forever.

Out of the other two, I would definitely go to Ripplewood. Specifically the cottages that are down by the river. (Half of their rooms are up by the highway, would avoid those.) Glen Oaks is just a road-side motel.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments thus far. I'm specifically looking at the 2 cottages of Glen Oaks, so not part of the motel building. The pics on the website look quite charming. Also, most of Ripplewoods is booked, and what's left doesn't necessary have a fireplace. Anyone stayed in the cottages of Glen Oaks??
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 09:00 AM

I've never stayed there, but I do believe that those cottages are nicest lodgings in the Big Sur Valley. Keep mind though, that Big Sur is VERY rustic, unless you want to spend $500 a night.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Exactly..$500/night at the Post Ranch or Ventanna is a little out of my travel budget, especially since we'll be driving/hiking all day and the next, so a clean warm bed/shower and quiet space will do just fine.
Anyone else with first hand experiences about the cottages at Glen Oak?
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

No one has stayed there????
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 11:57 PM

i've stayed at glen oaks motel, but not in the cottage. i don't remember it as being a special place. deetjen's is very very special. ripplewoods cabins by the river are special in a rustic sort of way.