Big Island trip report

Search

Big Island trip report

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island trip report

Hi everyone - here's a brief trip report from our wonderful vacation to the Big Island last week. Many of the places we stopped by were based on the BI Revealed book, which we find to always be right on with their recommendations, just like during a previous trip to Maui.

We had a garden view room reservation at the Waikoloa Marriott, and were pleasantly surprised that it was really more of a partial ocean view room. The rooms were adequate; nothing fancy, but that was fine with us since we hardly spent any time there anyway.

We arrived in the early afternoon and had requested an early check-in which was no problem. We spent the afternoon eating a late snack at Nalu's Bar and Grill, the hotel's pool-side snack bar, and then went swimming at 'Anaeho'omalu Beach. It's so great to visit during off-season, as there were no crowds. There were probably about a dozen people on the beach.

Dinner was at Roy's next door in the Kings Shops. The food was fabulous, of course, and service was great. We always love eating at Roy's

On our first full day, we drove down to Kona for some sightseeing and shopping. We had breakfast at Island Lava Java -- banana pancakes topped with mac nuts and coconut syrup, and fresh pineapple juice. Yum!!

By late morning, we headed further south and stopped by Greenwell Farms for a coffee farm tour. It was interesting to learn about the process and we bought some coffee.

Afterwards we drove to the Place of Refuge and saw plenty of turtles sunbathing, which was nice.

We spent the rest of the afternoon back at the beach by our hotel. The sunsets are absolutely gorgeous by the fishponds (just like what the blue book says!). When the cloud cover is just right, it looks like the sky is on fire.

We didn't feel like driving far for dinner and the Hawaii Calls restaurant in the hotel didn't have a very appealing menu, so we went next door to the Kamuela Provision Company in the Hilton. The food wasn't that great (but maybe it's because we were comparing it to the previous night's dinner at Roy's) and service was SLOW.

Day 3 was all beach/swimming day. We drove to Mauna Kea beach and got one of the last spots under a tree for shade. It was extremely windy, so the attendants at the beach hut weren't allowing umbrellas to be put on the beach chairs. The beach itself was quite nice. Sandy bottom and calm waters. It was almost too calm, like you were swimming in a pool (but with much cleaner, clearer water). I think I liked the beach at the Marriott a bit better. Mauna Kea was also more crowded.

For dinner, we decided to go to Roy's again (couldn't resist!).

On Day 4, we checked out of the Marriott and headed to the Volcano, where we would stay overnight. We drove the northern route of the island (Hwy 19), through Hilo, and onto the Volcano. We stopped by Tex Drive-In for malasadas (delicious), visited the World Botanical Gardens to view the Umauma tiered waterfalls (very cute falls, worth the entrance fee to the gardens), and stopped to view the Akaka Falls (impressive to be that close to the falls).

We also made a short stop at the Mauna Loa mac nut factory in Hilo. The self-guided tour wasn't anything worth stopping for, but I did enjoy buying a lot of mac nut goodies to take back home.

When we arrived in Volcano Village, we checked into the Kilauea Lodge. We found the staff to be extremely friendly and the accommodations were well-kept and clean. We stayed in the Pi'i Mauna Cottage a few miles down the road from the main lodge.

By late afternoon after we dropped off our things at the cottage, we entered Volcanoes National Park. The Kilauea crater overlook was extremely impressive. It was raining (more like sprinkling), so having plastic ponchos came in handy. We also walked through the Thurston lava tube.

Before sunset, we started the drive down Chain of Craters Road. At the bottom, we hiked about 1/3 mile to the end of the marked trail and waited for sunset. As it got darker and darker, it was the highlight of the trip to see the lava in the distance. There was a lot of steam, but when the winds blew, you could get a view of the lava pouring into the ocean. It was like a faucet with water gushing out. Definitely bring binoculars.

Dinner that evening was in the Kilauea Lodge's restaurant. The menu was extensive (from venison to ostrich) and the food was tasty. Service, again, was excellent.

Breakfast was included the next morning, and then we headed back to Kona to fly home.

Hope this was helpful and happy travels to those of you thinking of going to the BI. Let me know if I can answer any questions.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:44 PM
bonniebroad

travler123, you were at so many of my favorite places ... I really like the Waikoloa Marriott on A Bay, the hotel and the beach there! We LOVE Roy's at Waikoloa, and Kilauea Lodge, although we stayed in the newer lodge building, not a cottage. Glad you had a wonderful time ... I'm so looking forward to going back myself! Thank you for the great report ...

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 08:15 PM

glad you liked my island! next time and for all of you coming here, plan on coming to pahoa and driving the red road between kalapana and back to pahoa. it is the most beautiful drive!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:37 AM

I understand that there is construction going on at the Marriott and that a new adult pool will be part of it. What's the progress? Was the existing pool open while you were there? Also, I have heard that it is a farily long walk from the hotel to the beach. Is that true? We presently have reservations at Hapuna Beach Prince, but can get better rates at Marriott.
Should we consider changing? I've been to the public part of "A'Bay" beach and thought it was wonderful! Your comment that you preferred that beach to Hapuna is what has me wavering.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 06:06 AM

Barbara: We have stayed at Hapuna and Marriott Waikoloa, and my opinion is that Hapuna's beach and snorkeling were much better than the Marriott's. The hotel/bathroom/lanais were also much nicer, although I haven't seen the Marriott since it has been redone.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 06:23 AM

Hi traveler123... We have a room booked at the Marriott for next month (we stayed there last year and loved 'A' bay. I'm concerned about the renovations...how was it while you were there?

Thanks for your report!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:10 AM

Matnikstym -
Is that Hwy 137? I so much want to explore the Puna area next time we go to the Big Island. I'll have to talk my family in to taking the time to drive around there on our way between Hilo and VNP. One of the guidebooks says that there is a "ranger station" with "rangers" at the end of the road in Kalapana and sometimes they charge a fee?
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Highflyer and Barbara5353 -

We only noticed minor renovations/repairs, such as near the gift shops and some hallways going towards the north tower. We did hear some construction towards the north tower when we were eating outside at Nalu's, but our room was in the south tower, so we never really headed that direction or saw much construction.

The existing pool was open.

We didn't think the walk from the hotel to the beach was far at all. There's a path from when you get off the elevator (again, this is from the south tower), that leads you past the fish ponds, and over to the sand.

Just to clarify when I say I like 'A' Beach better, it's simply because I found Mauna Kea's waters to be too calm, almost like swimming in a pool. No waves ... but if you have kids, it's perfect. Also, if you're looking for perfectly soft sand, then you'll like Mauna Kea or Hapuna better. 'A' Beach has more of a salt & pepper sand look and feel.

Either way, it's a short drive to one beach from another, if you want to try out both. If you want something a little more luxurious, then go with Hapuna or Mauna Kea.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Thankyou traveler123...we'll check that the pool is still open before we go as that may affect our decision but otherwise we'd be pleased to stay at the Marriott again.
We don't spend much time in hotel rooms as a rule so as long as the construction didn't keep you awake I think we'll cope!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:10 AM

crazy4hawaii- yes that is highway 137, barely a two lane road, ocean on one side at times and under huge mango trees, flowers, ferns, a beautiful drive, then stop at lava trees park and see "lava trees" there is no ranger station on the kalapana side. about 5 years ago when the lava was flowing closer to the kalapana side, they graded a road and put in a parking lot and charged to get to the flow. no sooner than the county spent all that money, the flow changed and went back in the park. at kalapana you can walk out on the lava to the ocean and see a new black sand beach being formed. not suitable for swimming but nice to see.