Big Island hotel choice help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide between the Waikoloa Beach Marriott hotel and the Sheraton Keauhou Bay hotel.

Can anyone help me with this? Is one place nicer than the other? For those that have actually stayed in them, how do they compare?
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:53 PM

I was recently at the Sheraton Keauhou (early Sept.) and checked out early due to noise problems. The staff at the hotel is nice, the grounds are very pretty, the rooms are OK, and the location is also good (convenient to Kailua-Kona). However, found the clientele there to be downscale and rowdy, at least the week we went.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Sorry, I hit post too soon. I have not stayed at the Marriott but have been at the Hilton which is pretty much right next door, so I can comment on the location of the Marriott. It's located in Waikoloa along the Kohala coast, which is a very nice area. There is a shopping center with a good selection of stores and restaurants close by.

Both hotels have lovely locations. I would give a slight edge to Waikoloa as far as being nicer, though. But since I haven't been to the Marriott specifically, don't want to comment on the hotel itself.

I can tell you that the Hilton is very nice (albeit huge!) and we got a fairly decent rate there, if you want to check that out as well.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM
HDV

Living on the Big Island and being that we frequently visit the Kona side, this is my opinion.

The Marriott was recently renovated. Its located in Waikoloa and right across the King Shops which is home to a few restaurants and shops. The Marriott has a nice pool area with a smaller slide, but right behind the hotel is a popular white sand beach, Anaehomalu Bay, or as we locals call it, "A-Bay". If you stay at the Marriott, there are tons of activities where you never have to leave that area. Although, minutes drive will take you to Hapuna Beach and the Puako area where we have white sand and good snorkling and boogie boarding.

The Sheraton is located in Kailua Kona, about 30-45 minutes drive away from the Waikoloa Marriott. Its at the far end of Alii Drive, but located right across the street of a little shopping center which holds fast food, grocery, and drug stores. The Sheraton's rooms are nice and roomy and they sport a beautiful pool area with several different pool sizes. They have a sandy kid friendly pool at one end, and at the opposite end, they have a big, longer slide, bigger and faster than the one at the Marriott.

My family enjoy staying at both places, it just depends which hotel has better rates for us, as we just stay there for 1-2 nights as we live here on the island.

Hope this helps some!
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM

We stayed at the Marriott when renovations started there a couple of years ago. We had a great time. The location (proximity to the beach at A-Bay) was perfect. We also loved that it was right across the street from the King's Shops, including Roy's Restaurant. The rooms were not that fancy, but were nice and clean.

We considered the Sheraton, but opted not to stay there since we understand it's not directly on a beach, but instead on a rocky cliff. We like being able to walk right out to the sand, not drive to a beach. Also, we didn't want to stay in Kona.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

This is going to be a tough choice since they both sound like good places. Rowdy I can live without, but clientele comes and goes. Maybe that was a one time occurence.

I considered the Hilton, but they don't appear to have availability for the dates I'm looking at.

Convenient beach access is a plus at the Marriott. But the cliffs are so picturesque.

This is a nice choice to have to make.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:52 AM

I think the Marriott is more upscale so compare prices too.
I've stayed at the Marriott twice and the beach is known for it's beautiful sunsets complete with swaying palm trees. Turtles are frequent visitors swimming in the bay.
Have you checked Tripadvisor?
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:14 PM

The Waikoloa Beach Marriott is a more upscale hotel in a more upscale area. (Have visited the other area but not stayed there.) That would be my choice ... and the beach at A-Bay is wonderful!