Big Island- Mauna Lani or Orchid?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to the Big Island for the first time this February and have a room reserved at the Mauna Lani.

After booking the reservation, I spoke to the Fairmont Orchid. Their rate is basically the same as the Mauna Lani. Both rooms include breakfast, but the Orchid is offering a night free special.

Does anyone have any opinions or either/both hotels? The night free sounds great, but if the Mauna Lani is considerably nicer I will keep my reservation there.

Thanks!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 05:37 AM

This topic has come up several times in the past month. Do a search for "orchid", and select Hawaii as the Topic. Lots of good info.

I've stayed at both hotels multiple times, and which one is better depends on what your priorities are. The Mauna Lani has a better beach (within walking distance) and, at least in my experience, better service. The Orchid's rooms are a little better furnished (I believe it used to be a Ritz-Carlton) and have larger bathrooms.

Both properties are gorgeous though, and I seriously doubt you'll have a bad experience at either one.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply!
I have researched both hotels individually and they both seem very nice. As you have been to both and can compare that is very helpful.

I will have a great time either way, but coming all the way from NYC I want to stay somewhere I will enjoy.

The beach is not my first priority and choosing between service and rooms is a toss up....I like both! Unfortunately the 4S is out of my budget.

Also, is one more family oriented? I would be leaning towards the hotel with less children.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 11:11 AM

We've always found more kids at the Orchid, although it's hard to know whether there really were more kids there than at the ML. The Orchid's grounds are smaller and everyone congregates in one area, while the ML's grounds are much more spread out.

If absence of kids is a priority, the best hotel we've found by far on the Big Island is the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. Very quiet, Zen-like atmosphere, and you'll feel as if you have the place all to yourself. If you look into it and decide to book a room, be sure to ask for one in the renovated part of the resort.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 11:32 AM

If a pool is a priority - then it would
be the Orchid. The ML has just a small
rectangle pool - while the Orchid has
a lovely/large freestyle pool. I would
say that I preferred the common areas
in the Orchid better also. But really
you cannot go wrong with either one.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyones great advice.

I am tied as they both seem to have their negatives and positives. As I will probably like either property,I should probably see if I can still get the 1 free night at the Orchid and put the extra money towards something fun instead.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 02:10 PM

We've stayed at both--the Mauna Lani for our honeymoon, and the Orchid for our first anniversary. I prefer the Mauna Lani, and my husband thinks it's a pretty even split between the two.

My reasons for preferring the Mauna Lani: I liked the more "tropical" feel of the resort and grounds. Loved the ancient fishponds. I enjoyed the room decor (koa wood and neutrals--very Hawaiian feeling--the Orchid has more formal floral prints and marble everywhere). We had a great experience at the spa. And, most importantly, I felt we received superior service there. The staff made us feel like VIPs throughout our stay. Very gracious and accomodating. The overall feel is dreamy, fantasy-island, warm.

We didn't receive the same sort of personal service at the Orchid. They actually made a mistake with our reservation (put us under another "Geller") and I had to dig out our travel agent's confirmation to prove we belonged there. Our room smelled smoky and we asked for another--never got switched. However, the Orchid does have a beautiful pool area and tranquil grounds. My husband adored the lava-rock jacuzzis and the thatched-roof poolside bar. The Orchid has a very hushed, elegant feel to it.

Both resorts have top-notch food. We had the breakfast buffet at both places, and tried Brown's Beach House, the Canoe House, and the Gallery. All wonderful. Room service was good, too.

Overall, I think the reservation glitch at the Orchid was probably a fluke--I don't know if it happens often. As I said, though, I preferred the Mauna Lani's feel. But, hey, my husband really liked the Orchid! So if you can save money, I don't see why you shouldn't try the Orchid.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 11:53 PM

We've had our own problems with reservations at the Orchid. Even though it was after check-in time, their front desk sent us and the poor bellhop to *six* different rooms before they found one with the proper bedding arrangement and -- get this -- WASN'T ALREADY OCCUPIED. You'd think the front desk at a 4-star hotel would know which rooms are available and which aren't? Guess again.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 01:52 AM

I was having a hard time choosing between the two hotels and so I decided to call each one to request brochures. I received the ML's information within 10 days. I still haven't received the Orchid's info and it's been at least a month. I called ML for room rates and they have prices for next summer, including packages. Orchid does not have any package prices for next summer and only a few room prices (not ocean front, which is what I am interested in). I have sent two emails to ML asking various questions and both times I have received polite replies within 24 hours. I haven't seen either resort in person but it seems like the ML is more organized and service oriented than the Orchid just from my experiences. Also, if it makes any difference, the Orchid allows dogs in their hotel (not just for handicapped people) which I don't care for. Just stayed at one of the hotels at Univeral Orlando that allows dogs and I heard barking way too often and my daughter has been bit recently (not at the hotel)so she is very afraid of them. That would not be a relaxing vacation for us. Mauna Lani Bay wins for us!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 02:56 AM

Ask the Mauna Lani if they have any packages that may night be advertised on the web. Sometimes they do.

Ask for the Pick Your Passion special. Great deal if it's still on.`
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:38 AM

We stayed at the Mauni Lani in January 2003 and just loved it--this was our first and probably only trip to the Big Island so can't compare it to any other hotel. We had an oceanfront room which I thought was just lovely, with lovered shutters across the terrace you could close at night and still have the fresh air come in. The bathroom was very big, with two vanities and the toilet in a separate room.

As others have said, the service was great and friendly. I like the beach because it was protected and didn't have big waves, which is fine by me (actually preferable). Plenty of cabanas so you didn't have to stake one out early in the morning or rent one (as I understand you have to do in some other hotels).

That's something I would check on in considering the free night at the Orchid--do you have to pay for extras like a cabana or parking that would wind up costing you the price of the free night.

Also check back with the Mauni Lani later this fall. I made our reservation in August or September and then later found a special on their website that would give us the same room with the free breakfast and two massages at the same price. I called and had to cancel the first reservation and re-reserve but it was worth it for the savings. It might not be something they offer every year but it's worth keeping an eye on.

We stayed there 3 nights and didn't leave the grounds--very unusual for us since we're not laying in the sun types but it was very relaxing. Also made good use of the massage therapists at the spa.

Also very neat to see the green turtles that feed in the shallow water at the beach.

I can't recommend this hotel highly enough.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 01:17 PM

RuthMc,
Thanks for your reassurance! I am very excited to stay at the Mauna Lani!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 02:14 PM

We also loved the Mauna Lani -- our ocean view room, the grounds, the service, the enormous breakfast buffet. One feature not mentioned is that there is excellent snorkeling at the ML's sister condo, only a short walk away.
When we stayed about two years ago, there was a stay four nights, get the fifth one free promotion, which was listed on the hotel web site.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 03:58 PM

If it's the beach you want first, consider Hapuna Prince or Mauna Kea. Both are very nice hotels and have the best beaches on the entire island.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

wow- did not expect any more responses!
I hope I am not making a mistake now that more people seem to be favoring Mauna Lani.

I did the math and even with any extras that the Orchid does not include I will still be saving over $300. It seemed substantial enough to cancel at the Mauna Lani. I think I will miss the excellent customer service the most, but as my vacation is not until feb I can still keep checking to see if the prices change or they offer any specials later. The Orchid does not require a deposit so I can get out of it as need be.

The reviews on trip advisor for the Orchid were basically very good so hopfully I will like it if we end up there.

Also, a small detail, but does anyone know if the Orchid has cabanas or at least umbrellas at the pool? I am pretty sure they have shaded chairs at the beach. We are very active during the day, but I do like to sit out in the shade in the late afternoon.

Besides the resort, I am really looking forward to going to the Big Island and have much exciting research to do!!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 02:21 PM

I don't believe that there were any chairs with covers - or umbrellas beside
the pool at the Orchid. But there was
plenty of shade in different locals throughout the day. My husband does not
like sun and we were always able to find
shade.
We never had any problem with service when we were there last summer. I wouldn't describe it as terrific service- but we had no problems. Have a
great time.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, I appreciate everyone's comments!