Big Island Itinerary for August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting the Big Island for 12 days in August with my wife and two kids, 10 & 14. First time in Hawaii. Used this forum (amazing group of travel nuts!) and "Big Island Revealed". Decided to rent a house in Puako (Kohala) and stay two nights at Volcano at the Kilauea Lodge. After much reading and research (something of a guilty pleasure) came up with the following itinerary. What do you think - any suggestions?

Aug 20th - Arrive 2:00 PM – Free day
Aug 21st - Mauna Kea or Hapuna Beach; dinner in Waimea
Aug 22nd - Captain Cook/Place of Refuge – Kayaking
Aug 23rd – Waipi’o Valley – Horseback riding
Aug 24th - Mauna Kea Observatory
Aug 25th – Mauna Kea or Hapuna; Luau at Kona Village
Aug 26th - Travel to Volcano Park (Green Sand or Black Sand Beach, Ahalanui or Champagne Pond) - Volcano that evening. Stay at Kilauea Lodge
Aug 27th - Volcano Park that day and evening
Aug 28th - Depart early across Hilo, slow north country (Hawaii Botanical Gardens, Hamakua Coast sites) towards Puako
Aug 29th – Coffee country – Docks, shops, anything Kona – Parker Ranch – Really anything
Aug 30th - Beach day, Maybe Hilton Day Pass
Aug 31st - Beach day – depart 10:00 PM

Four additional questions: (1) Has anyone gone tot the Wednesday or Saturday Farmers Market in Hilo? Worth a special trip? (2) Have any of you tried to get a day pass to use the facilites at the Hilton? (3) Has anyone rented kayaks in the AM near Captain Cooke - want to try to swim with dolphins. (4) Is the Luau worth it (very expensive)? Thanks.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 05:39 PM

Sounds like a fantastic trip. I just love the Big Island. I'm not sure about day passes at the Hilton - but if you are able to do it, do it for the pools. There's not much of a beach at the Hilton (manmade beach on a lagoon). If you want a beach day, go elsewhere.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:34 AM

In answer to Question #1--I have been to the Farmer's Market in Hilo--both on Wednesday and Saturday. There are usually a few more vendors on Saturday. I think it is wonderful-but I love to cook. If you have a place with a kitchen I think it's worth a trip--you can buy many, many types of fruits and vegetables at very good prices (always some that I don't recognize but I always ask what they are and how to prepare). Usually you can also buy fresh tuna and prepared foods--great for a lunch. Last time we were there--in February--there was a stall with the most lucious goat cheese- from Puna. Across the street from the the food stalls, there is also a huge area with many people selling everything you can think of - great place to buy souveniers and Hawaiiana items.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Your itinerary looks good - it covers all of the major recommendations I would've had for you. Concerning the Hilo Farmers Market, it's worth a quick stop if you are in the area, but I wouldn't go out of the way to get there. The best thing there in my opinion are the fresh flowers - they put together tropical bouquets and sell them for $5.00. We picked up one of these and kept it in our room the rest of our trip. We have rented a kayak at Captain Cook and gone out in the morning. This was one of the highlights of our trip - the best snorkeling we have ever done. But, we didn't see any dolphins there. We did see dolphins that same afternoon while snorkeling at Place of Refuge/Two Steps. You won't be able to get too close to them and aren't allowed to by law(unless they happen to approach you), but we could see them swimming below us and hear them underwater.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 09:18 AM

We are plannning a trip with kids a similar age...so nice to see your plans. I just read on Tripadvisor that you can no longer rent personal kayaks to go out to Captain Cook area, but must use a company and go with a group. We are adding some horseback riding in the Waimea area, something else to consider!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

texasaggie00 - do you remeber the name of the shop/place where you rented kayaks for your Captain Cooke snorkling adventure?
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:39 PM

My family & I spend our summers (&every Xmas)on Big Island. We live in Waikoloa Beach (right across the street from Hilton!We actually looked at buying property in Puako 9 years ago but bought in Waikoloa. Puako is 5-10 minutes north of us. It's rocky, great place to surf & snorkel. Puako used to be a surfers village but most properties have been rebuilt. There's only one road going in.You are soooo close to some of the best beaches! Both Hapuna & Mauna Kea are top 10 beaches in US. Mauna Kea you will need a beach pass (from the gate at the entrance). They only give out so many, but if you say that you want to get a drink at the bar (or lunch) they will let you in. They often times are out of passes & you may have to wait until someone turns one in on the way out.Only buy a drink at the outdoor beach bar if "JoAnne" (older Hawaiian woman) is working. She's the only one that can make a good drink (they're expensive). Her "white" coconut willies are the best! (Tell her the Jeffersons sent you!) If you are not a guest at the Mauna Kea, don't even think about using thei lounge chairs on the beach. The lifeguards (hotel emps) have eyes like hawks! They see everything, however, all beaches are public, just don't use their chairs! As for Hapuna beach, it's right next to (South) of Mauna Kea's. There's a completely public section. Facilities are really bad. Use the bathroom in Puako (still only 5 minutes away!) You won't see much fish at either of these beaches because it's mostly white sand and not much reef. There is very good snorkling nearby at the very south end of Mauna Lani Resort (wh. Puako is right next to!). If you are interested in this, let me know.Your itinerary looks good. Most people don't give themselves enough time on the Big Island! As far as your questions go: Fridays & Sat. are the best days at the farmer's market since there are more vendors. Mangos should be in season so if you like those you'll find them very reasonably priced. Papayas & "apple bananas" & rambutan, lychees-if any of these sounds familar to you are all available & usually for a lot less than at your local supermarket.(for you in Puako would be Waikoloa Village-not the Beach-or Waimea(in the mountains). Both would probably be about 20 minutes way.Question #2-don't bother with the day passes at the Hilton. It's a manmade lagoon. Water slides would probably be fun for the kids. You should definately go & take a look around the hotel. It's a mile from end to end. They have a tram or water boats (on tracks) that can shuttle you around. The art work along the walk from far end (north) thru the convention center then to the lobby is pretty amazing. Day passes are very expensive. The hotel security is pretty hawkish here as well so don't have any of your personal towels in sight & don't try to use the water slide (you'll need wrist bands for that). However, if you are warm, and take a dip in the pool of lagoon, noone will stop you. (esp. if you have a drink in your hand)Question 3: There are many places in Captain Cooks to rent kayaks. There are signs all over the road from any where south of Keahou. Captain Cooks tends to be rocky, but there are plenty of fish, turtles, and it's refuge to the spinner dolphin (don't be surprised). Water there to Captain Cooks monument can be a mile deep. City of Refuge(also my screen name) is a neat place to picnic. There are some keiki ponds along the shore. Just north of the refuge is some very good snorkling, but beginners shouldn't attempt here. Lots of vanna (sea urchin) at times. Lots (understatement) of turtles.Question4: Been to lots of luaus. Most are not worth it. You can get really good dancing & music without having to pay the big bucks. If you are any where near the Waikoloan Marriott (next to Hilton), they have a luau every Sun & Wed. night. Be there after sunset. Go to the beach.(listen for music) You can watch it from the hotel pool area. I found there dancers to be pretty good. Also, the Mauna Kea has a hula dancer every afternoon as you near sunsetin the lounge (rumor has it that Kevin Costner tried in vain to woo her while filming "Waterworld". "Browns" at Mauni Lani's "Orchid Hotel" does to for dinner at sunset on the beach. The "King's Shops" in Waikoloa has dancers perform on certain days of the week. Many places to see great dancing, and not having to pay for so so food. Also, if you have a Costco membership, there is one just south of the airport just before you get to Kailua-Kona. It's well worth it for cases of water, soda, prepared foods for picnic lunches or quick dinners. Thank god for Costco. It really brought lower prices to the island. On weekends, lots of folks from Hilo come over to shop there. A good close restaurant is Waikola Beach Grill. It's at the golf course. The owner is Chef Brown. He used to be the head chef at the Hilton. He is world renowned, having served Presidents. You have to make a reservation though. Another good place is Roys at the KIngs Shops. (known for fish dishes) A must is their chocolate souffle!Have a great trip! Unfortunately, we leave on the 13th this summer, otherwise, I'd invite you over!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

CityofRefuge - what great, local feedback! Thanks so much. By the way, I'm a Costco fan too. Few additional questions. Is there a surf shop near Puako - somewhere kids can rent boards or take lessons for a day? Would you recommend taking mask and fins with you or buy/rent them once we arrive? Hear there is a harbor "mini-town" north of Puako where there are some decent restaurants - any suggestions? We are definitely interested in your snorkeling suggestions. Again, thanks for the detailed reply.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 07:00 AM

We rented our kayaks at Kona Boys (http://www.konaboys.com/). They were very helpful and we would definitely use them again.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:29 PM

yomikek
Glad info can be of use! You can buy really good snorkle(dry) & fins sets at Costco.(For some reason, I thought Kona Boys was further South.)Anyhow, there is dive shop at Kuwaihai Harbor where you'll find some decent places to eat like "Cafe Pesto" & a number of other places. Check it out. Go north on highway past Hapuna & Mauna Kea, you'll come to a stop sign. Go left (if you go right, you'll be going to Waimea). This looks like an industrial harbor with the huge "Matson" containers & all. Keep going. You'll see a number of small restaurants on your right. At the very end is Cafe Pesto. Their lunches are excellent. They are a little high for dinner. Salads, pizzas, calzones are "ono" (very tasty). Lilikoi (passion fruit) tea is good. Sometimes, when the army decides to play war games, either in the harbor or on Mauna Kea, you'll see a lot of soldiers getting their lunches there-in their desert fatigues. Don't know if there will be much of that since it seems that most troops are overseas. Couple summers ago, we frequently got stuck behind long convoys of military hummers on their way up to the military base on Mauna Kea from Kuwaihai Harbor. Back to snorkling (I get carried away), a good place near you is at the Mauni Lani resort.(Not the north resort of the Fairmont Orchid) but the actual Mauni Lani resort. Park car in hotel lot. Walk to beach. Get on beach trail and head south. You will go past a small (I think green) cottage on the beach, you'll go over some bridges(look for the many many eels that live in all the lava "pukas" (holes/spaces),pass a small boat ramp, finally end up at what locals call the "Yatch Club". It looks like a private beach (very small) with lounge chairs, outdoor shower & small clubhouse which serves lunch & drinks. Again, chairs are reserved for owners & guests of the Mauni Lani hotel. You, however, in Hawaii, have the right to use the beach. From here you can put your snorkle gear on & wade out into the water. Swim straight out and you will find some great coral.Usually mornings are the best time as the waters are clearer. Lots of time you will see snorkle tour boats bringing paying tourists to the exact same spot!
There's also many turtles that live there. I would be very surprised if you did not bump into one! If you are pressed for time, then you can try driving there by going onto Mauni Lani Drive then head as far south as you posibbly can until you come to an end with an owners gate. Press the intercom & tell them that you want to get lunch/drink at the club. They will usually let you in unless there is a function. Then you'd have to park/walk. Any resort must offer public access to their beaches. Any other questions, feel free.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:53 PM
trippinkpj

My kids were 10 and 15 when we spent a week on the BI almost 6 yrs. ago. We had a condo at Waikaloa Bay Club (10 minute walk to Hilton). They have a great pool complex at there. My son the 10 year old, did the Dolphin Quest program. My daughter and I did the spa/ salon thing. We did a mix of activities (some that you mentioned) and just hanging out/ beach days.