Mustique

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustique

We are going to Mustique in February. There will be 8 adults staying in one of the villas. Does anyone have any suggestions about the trip? What to bring? I am guessing that everything is very expensive. Has anyone stayed there recently? What about wine and liquor? Better to bring some or are the prices good? Thanks!!
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Yup, groceries are very expensive and your shopping options are limited - one grocery store and one deli/wine store.

That said, the booze prices are reasonable and rum is cheap as is the case throughout the caribbean. So I wouldn't bother carting this around unless you find something special in the duty free.

You might be able to arrange with one of the fishermen on the beach beside Basil's for fresh fish - expect to pay 8EC or more a lb before cleaning (normally it's 6-7EC but, hey, this is Mustique).

I also expect that your cook on Mustique will know where and how to shop best for you.

If you want cheaper, here's a thought...arrange to take a day trip over to Bequia early during your trip and shop in Port Elizabeth.

Go to Veira's on the Backstreet or Euroshopper just outside of town for regular groceries and frozen meat.

Visit the market stalls for fruit and vegetables and a real island experience.

You will find that generally prices are the same as or higher than at home.

Go to Doris for quality frozen meat, gourmet and anything else you can't find on Mustique. Don't ask the cost!

Old Nov 17th, 2004, 08:00 AM

If you are snorkellers, I suggest you bring your own gear - there is a dive shop at Cotton House if you choose to rent, but I predict the stuff will be $$$ if available.

There is decent snorkelling off the point on the east side of the Cotton House beach.

There is also good snorkelling if you walk west along the road that passes in front of Basil's. Keep walking until you come to a pile of large tumbled concrete blocks on the beach. These are the ruins of an old changing hut, and mark the entrance to the break in the reef. Go through this for some fun snorkelling - pity the coral is still recovering from wrong way Lenny, but the fish are plentiful.

Other places too - just ask around.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! It sounds like a lot of people dislike Mustique from the post I have read. Makes me a little nervous, I had only heard raves about it. Oh well, still going to enjoy the trip! Have you heard about any Ivan damage or how the clean up is going? We are staying at Sunrise, heard anything about it? Thanks for any additional info!
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 11:20 AM
Carib_Ian

What's not to like about Mustique. It truly is a fantasy island. You won't encounter any hassles at all. It is tiny so you may get a bit bored but you will have seclusion at a premium. It is very pricey though, that is the drawback.

Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 01:39 PM

I don't dislike Mustique at all - there are just other places I prefer. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Mustique and neighbouring Bequia were virtually untouched by Ivan - in fact in the days following Ivan, these two islands collaborated on sending boatloads of emergency supplies to Grenada.

I can't say anything about Sunrise specifically - I assume you have looked at the pix on the Mustique website ??
http://www.mustique-island.com/villas/villas.php?vid=36

- it looks marvelllous