Top 10 Things To Do on Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the top 10 things to do on Big Island? I am going during the month of July 2005, leaving in 2 weeks. I am up for anything. I would also appreciate suggestions for someone on a budget. Thanks so much!!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 04:14 PM

Whatever part of the BI you're staying on, it's all about the volcano. We've twice been to Volcanoes Nat'l Park, and you can easily spend a day there exploring w/o committing to long hikes (but there are also those if you like). We also snorkeled several times. There are nice beach snorkels and also Zodiac trips to Keakeleua (sp?) Bay. We also loved taking drives around the island to explore. Big Island Revealed is a great source for things to do, places to stay/eat, etc.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 05:00 PM
MaureenB

Snorkel, play in the surf, lay on the beach, snorkel, swim, boogie board, snorkel... Then eat a fresh fish sandwich at the Kona Grill, on their beautiful deck overlooking the ocean. Wish I were there now!

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:10 PM

If you have a car, drive up to the parker ranch and have a meal at Edelweiss restaurant - good food and resonably priced. You can also go to the farmer's market in Kona which is fun. There are also some interesting beaches and the farthest south point in the US with a wind power farm to see...none of which cost anything.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Buy a copy of Big Island Revealed, buy an industrial flashlight - and take the "secret" lava tube tunnel hike behind the gate at the end of the Thurston Lava Tube.

Where else can you safely hike so deep into the earth? Dark and creepy, but fun and unforgettable.

Be sure each person has their own individual large flashlight - it's darker than dark!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:28 PM

We enjoyed scenic drives, particularly through Parker ranchlands, Waimea, and up to the North Kohala towns of Hawi and
Kapaau. The City of Refuge in So. Kona is very interesting. For a big splurge consider a snorkel cruise to Kealakekua Bay..best of any snorkel trip we've done. We are not fans of the volcano area. The noxious sulphur fumes made my eyes water and chest ache for 3 days following our visit. We are retunring to the Big Island in Feb. and plan to spend our entire visit on the Northern end...which also has the best swimming beaches.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the quick and outstanding responses. Each suggestion sounds incredible and I am excited to try them out! Thanks so much! Feel free to suggest more, this is GREAT!!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 07:53 PM

...or try kayaking across Kealakekua Bay to the Captain Cook Monument snorkeling area, instead of taking a boat trip. It's a lot of fun and you get to stay there and snorkel as long as you wish!! You can rent your kayak(s) at Kona Bob's!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:54 PM

Do the tour (we went with Hawaii Forest and Trail, and thought they were great) to the top of Mauna Kea at sunset. Some people will advise going on your own, the tour is pricy and you don't need a tour guide. I can only tell you what our experience was (on two occasions) and that we were happy to have done it the way we did: 1) the trip up to the summit is very hard on cars and you're really not supposed to take a rental car up there 2) the tour guides have parkas on the van to wear once you get up where it's really cold 3) they also have oxygen on the van in case you need it at that high altitude, and several people were glad to have it, including me 4) on the way back down after sunset, they stop at the Visitors Center and do some stargazing with their own telescope, and then you get hot chocolate and cookies.
We also went parasailing off the pier in Kailua and LOVED it. It's addictive. If you're not too scared, and it's not really scary, ask for the 1200-foot rope. They offer 400 and 800 but will provide the 1200 if you ask.
Place of Refuge is incredible. Spend a little while there and feel the atmosphere - very calming and soothing.
Right in town, in Kailua, you'll find the summer palace that the Hawaiian royal family used to use. The tour is free and fascinating.
Have a great trip!
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for the great suggestions! I really appreciate it! Can't wait to go!