Big Bear Lake, Ca. or elsewhere?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I just booked our flight for next summer to San Francisco returning from Las Vegas. I somehow managed to save an extra $50 each by returning on Sept. 11 (Sat) instead of a couple days earlier. That gives us two extra days to spend after a month in LA. Never been to Bear Lake? Worth a two night stay? We're talking about Sept. 6 and 7 (Monday is Labor Day night plus Tuesday).

Any ideas of where to stay there or what to do? I'm guessing good hiking and somewhat cooler temperatures before heading to HOT vegas.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 10:04 AM

Remember they had the big fire up there, so hiking may not be that great up there or lake Arrowhead by September. I'd check first and if not, perhaps Lake Tahoe?
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Lake Tahoe's already a given, stopping for a few days there to spend time with my partner's brother and sister-in-law who conveniently built a beautiful home and moved there (just so we could come and visit every year, LOL!).

Eeks, forgot about all those fires already.

Just for the record, we're flying into San Francisco for five nights, then driving to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival for three nights (5 shows), then to Tahoe for a few days, a stop with family in Saratoga, then LA for a month. This is an extra stop on the way to 3 nights in Las Vegas before flying home.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 07:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hey, Patrick,
After Tahoe, Big Bear might be a bit of a let-down. Having said that, two days up there is pretty nice, especially at that time of year. As you probably know, September is usually So. Cal's hottest month.

Mind you, we haven't been up there for a few years (before the fire and before the last round of earthquakes that periodically jingle the area), but it's a nice place to go to get out of L.A. and smell the pines and enjoy relatively clean air. You can rent a boat and ride the lake, or take a drive over to Arrowhead for water skiing.

Do you have the Auto Club tourbook? The hotels/motels/cottages (and we've tried different ones on each trip) are somewhat rustic, but the Northwoods Resort Hotel or the Marina Rivera Resort might work.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 07:54 AM

Sorry about posting twice here. I just read the "or elsewhere" part. Patrick, have you been to Catalina? That's where I'd go to spend my 2 extra days.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Yes, have done Catalina before for an overnight, and thought it was fun, but it's been a while. Actually it looks like we might have two extra days before LA as well and are thinking of doing Catalina again then. I don't think I'd want to head out there on Labor Day -- I suspect it would be a zoo.

Maybe we'd consider a stay for two days on our way down to LA within Big Sur where we've only driven through. I know there are some expensive resorts there, anything on the cheaper and rustic side within the forest?

I did book a room at Northwoods Resort at Big Bear yesterday -- but of course have about 9 months to cancel.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 05:53 AM

Yes, you're right -- Catalina's two biggest draws are 4th of July (when we usually go) and Labor Day weekend. But living on a busy street with kid, husband, and 2 dogs, I'm always in the midst of a party atmosphere. Still, at the time of year you'll be out here, you'll be able to hike, snorkel, or just lie at Descanso Beach (pebbly as it is) with a Buffalo Milk and enjoy. Even the Pacific will not be so darned cold then.

Big Sur is an excellent idea. Except when the roads are washed out, we head there once a year (staying in Monterey). Instead of forking over the big bucks for the Post Ranch or Ventana, I have heard from other posters that the Big Sur Lodge is a good place to stay that won't break the bank. We've been to the Big Sur River Inn (on Hwy 1) for lunch once, and rustic it is, but a river runs through it.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Oh, yes, I remember stopping for lunch too at what must be the River Inn -- as I remember the little river running through it. Guess I didn't remember that it had rooms. Might be a nice place for a night or two. Since we'll be heading to LA from Saratoga/Los Gatos area -- it would be a nice change to do the Big Sur drive again instead of the rather boring 1 or I-5.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 06:36 AM
GoTravel

Patrick, how about a great spa in the Palm Springs area?

I know it will be hot but I do love Palm Springs!

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Not into spas, thank you. Not into pampering. Not into lying on the beach or by a pool. More looking for rustic lake or mountain, hiking destinations for a night or two break before and after a month in LA.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 03:39 PM

Would you have time to visit Sequoia park and Kings Canyon? Especially the canyon, such a beauty, it's like Yosemite without the crowd.