Future Southwest Roadtrip

Old Jul 26th, 2019, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future Southwest Roadtrip

This is a post I'm expecting to have up for a long while as I'm planning this road trip 2 years in advance. Likely in the fall of 2021. So here's some quick and dirty details:
-just me and my wife, from Alberta, Canada
-approx 3.5 weeks in length
-tent camping most of the time (a very nice setup actually, with a heater) with some hotels and accommodations.
-i will be bringing my two Seadoos, and possibly a tandem kayak
​​​​​​-looking for some cool boating lakes, ones with the opportunity to do some really neat exploring or fishing.

I am hoping that some people on this forum can give me good info such as the best campgrounds on certain lakes, or best marina/resorts, or Airbnb's with boat slips. All and any suggestions are welcomed.
​​​​​​
So far my main points of interest are:
A lake in Northern California- Lake Tahoe I hear is nice but I'm concerned with it being too busy/crowded for our liking. I hear New Bullard Bar Reservoir has good bass fishing.

San Fran Bay: just spend a couple days here, Seadoo in the bay for a day maybe

Vegas: definitely spending some time on the strip. Will probably spend some time on Lake Mead, unless I hear of a better nearby lake.

Lake Powell: this lake I am very excited to see. Seems like a really neat exploring lake.

Yellowstone Park: I see theres a lake here where boats are allowed. Is this lake worth boating on for a couple days, or just to visit for a day?
​​​​​​
any other Southwest Lake suggestions would be awesome. Please let me know of your favorite spots to boat/fish on!

I'm also interested in all natural beauty areas to hike/explore. We have the best mountains and forests here in Alberta, so unless you know of some really nice mountain/forest areas, I'd prefer not to see them since nothing in the world can top Alberta.
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 05:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors.

Just a couple of comments:

>>Lake Tahoe I hear is nice but I'm concerned with it being too busy/crowded for our liking.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=janisj;16960147]Welcome to Fodors.

Just a couple of comments:

>>Lake Tahoe I hear is nice but I'm concerned with it being too busy/crowded for our liking.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 07:46 AM

For National Forest campgrounds, do a Google search by state, although this might be of some help:
https://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/...ampgroundlist/

It used to be that these campgrounds were less frequented, but now reservations are often accepted, especially for the campgrounds near streams and lakes.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 08:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I suspect you're thinking about a trip that begins and ends in September or perhaps early October. (Fall doesn't technically begin until approx. Sept. 21st.) Keep in mind that our national Labor Day holiday is the first Monday in September, and some mountain and lakes destinations are busy until after that week, especially if the weather is still pleasant. We've noticed that, increasingly, lots of retired folks in RVs like to travel in September and October, so I would investigate where it's advisable/possible to make campsite reservations in advance.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 12:15 PM

Weekdays should not be a problem for camp sites if you arrive before 3 p.m.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 05:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>And each day of travel doesn't exceed 8 hours (with the exception of the first two days heading South). Most travel days will be 5 hours which is do-able.> 9- Head East, stay in Yosemite or Death Valley
10- Head further East, stay in Vegas
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 10:21 AM

Are you aware of jet ski restrictions in SF? https://ilsr.org/rule/noise-pollution/2448-2/ I'd also be concerned about the hassle of hauling a trailer through the city and finding secure parking.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 11:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
In AZ, Lake Roosevelt is popular for boating. Your dates would be important though, as it is still very hot in September into early October.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 10:17 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Three nights in Las Vegas-- too many, in my opinion, unless you're really into the gambling scene.

Last edited by MoBro; Jul 29th, 2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 03:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Or if you want to see a particular show. It can be fun to see a Vegas production. I don’t know who is in residence there now, though it’s easy to find.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 03:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
So you are just driving through the states of Washington and Oregon? Not stopping anywhere in either one? (Since you give each only 1 day.)

And isn't your last day of Montana to Alberta is a 12+ hour drive as well?
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 04:32 AM

I totally agree that 3 days in Vegas is too much, add a day or 2 to Yellowstone or Yosemite. I would check the NPS website for rules for using the Jetskis in the NPs, but I would guess that the kayak would be fine especially on Lake Yellowstone.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 09:44 PM

You will want to check on the National Parks, whether they allow boats. I know there is a greater concern about invasion of non-native species.

If allowed, the lake at Yellowstone is massive and beautiful. No idea if the fishing is good. Follow all wildlife guidance in regards to avoiding bears and buffalo, carry bear spray etc.

I assume you are not hoping to boat in Oregon with only one day there. Diamond Lake, Detroit Lake and Lake Billy Chinook would be the places to consider if you end up spending more time in Oregon.

Lake Shasta is the place in Northern California to consider. It's quite large with lots of inlets. People who can afford it, rent a houseboat for a week and then boat from that.