Big Apple suggestions?

Search

Big Apple suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Apple suggestions?

Just for a change of scenery I'm taking an impromptu trip to NY for two nights starting tomorrow. No definite plans as to what to do yet, but I tend to gravitate toward museums and classical concerts. Because I'll only be there two nights, I might see a play and also attend a concert if I'm lucky.

Yes, I'll be looking at various sites and this forum for ideas, but the Fodors community has been helpful before so I'm open to suggestions. I'm staying in the Union Square area.

Any Broadway recommendations? I'm staying clear of Spiderman!

Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:44 AM

The Importance of Being Earnest is great. I saw that a couple of weeks ago. I can't help with classical concerts, but there are a lot of plays opening up. As a last-minute traveler, I'd just head to TKTS and snag a half-price ticket. If you arrive tomorrow before 5pm, just head to TKTS around then, buy a ticket, have a quick bite, and head to the theater tomorrow. Otherwise, there are matinees on Saturday.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 01:12 PM

For music there is so much going on all the time, so check the websites for Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center as well as City Center. There are usually listings at NY Magazine, GoNY.com, timeoutny.com, the New York Times and The Voice to name a few. If you like choral music, there are a few concerts up as well, and the list would be at www.van.org (vocal area network)

Have a fun time while you are here.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 03:13 PM

Met - MOMA have lots of good stuff right now. Also Museum of Art and Design. Have fun! Also check out the half price booth at Lincoln Center.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions, Doug, travelbuff and SueNY. Thanks! Think Lincoln Center will be one of my first stops.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 04:18 AM

Driving Miss Daisy for the chance to see these 2 actors.
http://www.broadwaybox.com/shows/dri...c_tickets.aspx

Priscilla Queen of the Desert just started previews and there are discounts on broadwaybox.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 07:05 AM

The Philadelphia Orchestra is playing tonight, March 1, at 8 in Carnegie Hall.

The program, led by Charles Dutoit, long-time interim Chief Conductor, will be a knock-out: Berlioz' Overture to Beatrice and Benedict; James MacMillan's Violin Concerto, a new work played by Vadim Repin; and Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5, guaranteed to bring the audience to its feet.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 07:22 AM

Walk down Park Avenue to see the Roses art installation between 57th and 67th.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

On my way home from NY-

I took Doug's advice and saw IOBE. Wondeful performance by Brian Bedford as Lady Bracknell, gorgeous sets and costumes. I suspect that Wilde would have approved! This was a special treat for me as I've never seen the play before. Got $22 rush ticket which put me in the rear mezzanine, but I had a full view of the stage.

Last night I decided to see Stoppard's Arcadia at the Barrymore only 10 minutes before it started. Rush seat ticket ($32.50) put me in the fourth row orchestra center. Not bad, eh? Perhaps that is because Arcadia has not been reviewed yet? At any rate, this is an interesting, complex play that really makes you think, although I don't feel the philosophical concepts that Stoppard present quite coalesce in the end. Still, the performances were very good and the spare, neoclassical set worked extremely well. The fact that I was reflecting on the play the day after says much for it even if I may not have grasped all that Stoppard tries to say with it.

Finally, I really enjoyed the Edward Hopper exhibit at the Whitney where I also had a delightful and spirited discussion with one of the guards about a Kienholtz installation.

Didn't make it to Lincoln Center. Next time.

Oh, and I also want to mention that everyone I met was nice, approachable and often rather chatty. I had a wonderful time!