Search

BI Honeymoon Report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:57 PM
jim

BI Honeymoon Report

Just returned from five nights on the Big Island for a belated honeymoon. We stayed at the Orchid (after MANY recommendations on this board) and were even happier than anticipated.

I've never gotten better service anywhere - and I'm used to five star properties. From the moment we arrived, every employee treated us wonderfully. I had paid for an Ocean View King on the Starwood website (Best Available rate) and we were upgraded to an Ocean Front Suite upon check-in. This was easily the best room at the resort, IMHO. We had a huge bedroom, a large living room, two lanais, and a huge beautiful bathroom. There was not a closer room to the beach, either. Never gotten a better upgrade, period.

A quick note on the construction: it was audibly noticable every day at the beach and in our room without the doors closed. We were also one of the closest rooms to the construction - the north tower would surely be free from any noise. The tradeoff for us was the beach access. Construction is Monday through Saturday and is on both the adjacent residental properties and a new beach kiosk.

The Orchid's beach was just as described - man-made, but beautiful. Protected by some well-placed lava rocks, the lagoon is perfect and calm. Clear water, great snorkeling just off the beach. We were lucky enouh to see turtles on two occassions just outside of the lagoon.

We ate dinner almost every night on our lanai at sunset - the view couldn't be beat. Brown's Beach House (good, but limited menu) was about a hundred yards north of our room and we enjoyed their awesome music every night (traditional Polynesian, with great dancers).

After great reviews, we checked out Donantonis at the Hilton, ten minutes south on Mana Lani for dinner. The food was excellent, the service was indifferent. But the pasta was perfect and the atmosphere terribly romantic. Also had excellent sushi in the King's Road Shopping Center.

Walked over to the Mana Lani resort (just ten minutes along the coast from the Orchid) and asked to see a room. We were shown a Superior Ocean View and it was beautifully appointed...better than the Orchid. But it was also tiny and about $200 more a night. Not worth it in my opinion.

Since we were honeymooners, we indulged in the Spa Without Walls, getting massages oceanside. It was exquisiste - intimate, relaxing, and worth every penny.

One night we had room service deliver us food from the Grill and it was perfect (we split a filet).

Can you tell we spent a lot on food? That's the only problem...we'll never spend this much money on food again. It's the main reason I imagine we won't be returning to the Kohala coast. There is a severe lack of affordable eats. We vistied the famous Cafe Pesto, but the only other options were 30 minutes south in Kona.

By the by, we had breakfast included with our rate...worth it in every way. We loved having the option - omlettes, fruit, bagels and lox, it goes on.

Overall, the Orchid exceeded all of our expectations. Can't recommend it enough.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:21 PM
rebecca

Jim,
we are on our way to the orchid in a few days. we are looking forward to it and was happy to read your report. you said that you ate dinner on your lanai. was room service as expensive as the restaurants at the orchid? i have been doing a lot of research and there really seems to be nothing but expensive places on the kohala coast. how long is the drive to kona? there seems to be more reasonable choices there. also, was the hotel and beach crowded? and, how was the weather? thank you in advance for any advice/help yo can give.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Jim

Rebecca,

Room service carried a $3.00 service charge - otherwise, it was the same as the restaurants. Brutally expensive...and my wife and I don't really drink.

Kona's at least 30 minutes south of the Orchid - we didn't spend much time there. But there are grocery stores and an actual assortment of restaurants. Your best bet for cheaper food.

Maybe a more experiences BI visiter can help - this was our first time. We were also trying not to worry about $ since it was our honeymoon.

The beach was crowded Fri-Sun, but otherwise almost deserted. Even when it was full on Saturday, there's still plenty of room for everyone. Unlike Hapuna and Mauna Kea (which we visited), there isn't direct public access and that limited the crowd to hotel guests. We never felt intruded upon.

It extremely hot there right now - but the Orchid has excellent AC to retreat to. And there is ice water right on the beach (no charge) in addition to wandering waiters.

Enjoy!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Harold

Kona is more like a 20 minute drive from Kohala Coast. Not meaning to be rude, but why stay in a place as expensive as the Orchid, and then worry about what you spend on food? Wouldn't it have been better to stay at a very nice but less expensive resort like Outrigger Waikoloa, and not worry about what you're spending for meals? JMHO!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 03:29 AM
mag

Glad to hear you had a good time. We were there just a year ago for our honeymoon and had a great time!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:26 AM
rebecca

not overly worried, just prefer to allocate money to other things. more concerned about sunburn. my friend went to the hilton wailkoloa village in the spring and said that there were very few umbrellas/shaded areas and that you had to get one early in the day. john, if you are still reading this thread, do they have any umbrellas or shaded chairs? thanks for all the info. that was the best upgrade story i've heard. how terrific on your honeymoon!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:58 AM
rebecca

whoops, sorry jim, not john! still the best upgrade i've heard of!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:59 AM
sandy

JIm,

We're going to Orchid in September.
Is there a gym at the Orchid. If yes, did you see it. Does the gym has good machine? Is the grounds very lush and beautiful. Enough chair at the Pool & beach area? Did you do any kind of excurison. Thank you for your report.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:05 AM
mag

When we were at the Orchid last July, there were plenty of chairs around the pool. There are shady and sunny areas to sit in, and we didn't have any problem with being in the sun or shade when we wanted to have either-we'd just move chairs, or turn ours to face the sun, etc. Also, at the "beach" area, there are chaises with cabanas over them so you are shaded to your liking. The grounds are very lush, be sure to catch a sunset from one of the hammocks! Very romantic.
The only real day trip we did was to the Volcanoes, and while it was nice, it was such a long drive we didn't get to really enjoy it because we were tired and rushing to get back in the car for the long drive back to the Orchid. I don't remember the gym-I know they have one, but I can't remember what it was like. Anyhow, have a great time!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Jim

First off, Harold, it's 28.5 miles from the Orchid to Kona according to Mapquest...we never exceeded the speed limit of 55 MPH. So I'm pretty comfortable with the 30 minute drive time. But, since you blasted me for describing my honeymoon in a way you don't like, maybe you just like being different and critical.

I never understand why people bother posting negativity with no benefit to the thread. And I think you DID mean to be rude.

Sandy, the gym was the best I've seen in a hotel (with the possible exception of the new Clift in SF). Various top of the line cardio machines and excellent weights.

Rebecca, plety of chairs and cabanas to go around...we never felt like we had to get there early. You'll enjoy the beach so much...

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Harold

Howard, no need for getting your knickers in a twist. Of course, depends on exactly where you're driving from and to, but it NEVER took us a half hour to drive to Kona..........maybe we are leadfoots! Sorry that you found my comments not to your liking but I think I am making a good point. I happen to think it's funny when people just have to stay in a big, NAME resort..........which they can't really afford...........then worry the whole time about every nickel and dime they spend, that's all! When the whole point of a vacation/honeymoon is to relax and enjoy yourself, why do that?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:44 PM
maw

Harold,
repeat after me...'Jim, congrats on your honeymoon and glad you had a good time!"

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 09:53 PM
tracey

Just back from a lovely stay at Mauna Kea. We found the drive from the hotel to Kona to take 30-40 minutes. We too had to flee the high restaurant prices. While it was our honeymoon we too found the Kohala restaurants extremely high dollar. Even the "casual beach barbeque" offered a chicken breast with vegetable and ice cream dessert for $40 per person, no drink included. We looked over all the menus at the hotel and even a kids meal of peanut butter and jelly started at $12. I'm not complaining, it was just too difficult to justify spending $100 for two at every meal. Kohala is remote so it is challenging.

We eventually found that driving into Wailea was a quick 15-20 minutes and offered many great options at a reasonable price. (paniolo country inn offering "parker ranch angus" steaks in a casual atmosphere for under $20.)

Sure splurge on a few meals and take advantage of the beautiful area, but you will have to drive if you want something more affordable.
Enjoy!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 05:34 AM
sandi

Tracey,
I think you mean "Waimea"? Wailea is in Maui.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Helen

Speaking of Waimea dining,we stayed on the Kohala coast in 1999 and we went to a fabulous german restaraunt,I think it's called Edelweiss. I know it sounds wacky but after 2 weeks of pacific rim it was great!

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Jim

Although we never made it to Waimea, it did seem to be closer to the resorts (Mauna Kea and Hapuna, in particular). The previous posters echo what I'd heard in advance - Waimea has plenty of great dining options in all pricing catagories.

My wife and I just preferred to stay in most of the time...but if we'd been there more than six days, we would have been up to Waimea for both Merrimans and Edelweiss.

By the way, I wasn't complaining about the cost of food in my first post - I knew going in Kohala was going to be expensive and planned for it.

Just wanted to be another voice on the forum posting my experiences and making sure folks knew what to expect. Before going, I did a bunch of research on this forum - wanted to give something back

I never guessed I'd get flamed for relating the details of my honeymoon...