Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which resort on the Big Island (honeymoon)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:00 AM
Carrie

Getting married next year and we want to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon!
These are the resorts on the Big Island we're considering:

Mauna Lani Bay Hotel
Hapuna Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea

Can somebody please give me some kind of idea what the differences are among these places? We want a resort with a great beach. Should I eliminate any of these?? The accommodations are also very important to us. (Honeymooners, you know. *wink* )

I'm having a hard time finding pictures of these places, too. The websites are kind of limiting. Does anybody have personal pictures of any of these resorts posted?? I'd love to see 'em.

Any reviews would be appreciated! Aloha

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:50 AM
patg

Take a look at
http://www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/bigaerials.html

for some good infomation. But I don't recommend their book.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:09 AM
nyc

Carrie:

The Hapuna and Mauna Kea have the best beaches on the Kohala coast. The Hapuna is a newer place, with larger rooms, so I would recommend it. Incidentally, since it and the Mauna Kea are both run by Prince, you get reciprocal privileges at the other resort. I've stayed at the Hapuna and the rooms are nice.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:25 AM
hawaii

Congratulations!

Hapuna and Mauna Kea do have the best beach in Hawaii. However, I believe the Mauna Lani has better rooms and service.

All are great places to enjoy your honeymoon.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:02 AM
Carrie

Thanks for the responses. How do they compare in size?

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:56 AM
linda

Mauna Kea! Best beach (anywhere, perhaps) and get a superior oceanview room (not beachfront). They have a large balcony with a spectacular view, and the doors open entirely so the whole room feels open. I just returned, so I can send you a few pics if you're interested. The Mauna kea doesn't not look as impressive as it is on the web. The whole feel is amazing and must be experienced - totally open, feels like it "belongs there". But have a special dinner outside at The Canoe Club at the Mauna Lani at sunset - wow. I can send you a pic of that, too.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:18 AM
Carrie

I'd love to see pictures! Thanks! My e-mail is posted above.

How were the rooms at the Mauna Kean? They look pretty "blah" on the website. That kinda turned me off. We really wanted to be "wowed" by the room.

Thanks!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 02:25 PM
linda

Ok, I'll send some pictures today. As for the rooms, I checked out the 360 degree panorama on the web site and, yes, that's pretty much what our room looked like. But it was really, really wonderful, with the wide open doors to the amazing views and the sound of the waves. Plus you could hear the band every evening playing Hawaiian music. The whole hotel has a very laid back feel. We had dinner at the Mauna Lani, and it really did look lovely - it has a slightly different feel. There is just something about the Mauna Kea - it's all wide open, and designed to maximize the view of the beach and the beautiful grounds. The pool is pretty plain. Given the beach, I don't even know why they HAVE a pool but if that's important to you, it's something to consider. The snorkeling at the MK was great - along with amazing fish, we saw sea turtles, rays, octopus and moray eels. At night they light up the water at the point and these enormous Manta Rays come to feed - it's really amazing. We met an older couple that had been coming at least twice a year for 34 years - it was their 77th visit!!! My parents have traveled all over and this is their very favorite place. But really, you won't go wrong at any of the places you mentioned - I think it will be more an issue of "at which wonderful place will you end up??"

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 02:30 PM
max

We spent a week at the Mauna Lani Bay in late May and absolutely loved it.
We visited the other two hotels and admit their beaches are longer and sandier, but the beach at the Mauna Lani was fine for us. There is fabulous snorkeling at the condo beach about a five minute walk away.
We had an oceanview room (oceanfront is available but more expensive) and it was large, well-furnished, well-maintained and had a great view.
The grounds are beautiful and include restored ancient fish ponds, one of which has sharks in it.
We would definitely stay there again.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 02:52 PM
SEW

I would say the beach at Mauna Kea is much better and easier to access from MK. We stayed there a couple of years ago, and my sister stayed there last year and said the rooms are getting a bit dated. Also, the bathrooms were not the greatest, but I haven't seen any hotel over there with a great bathroom. As stated above, it's owned by the same people as Hapuna Prince and we walked around the HP, but I still loved the MK.

Definately have dinner at the Canoe House. Go before sunset and enjoy it.

The beach and snorkling at MK are great, and the grounds around the pool are very inviting with the hammocks strung between the palm trees.

The ML beach is much narrower and isn't as protected. MK/HP Beach is a cove.

In any event, have a great trip and enjoy the aloha spirit.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:37 PM
dcp

I've only stayed at the Hapuna but have visited the other two. All three are excellent choices and offer something a little different. I loved the Hapuna Prince and would love to go back. It's very quite and the room (ocean view) was quite large and very nice (big bathroom area). My brother stayed at the Mauna Lani and based on his pictures and others I've talked to, they probably have the nicest rooms and best staff (although the staff at the other two is very good). FYI-the Mauna Lani was originally run by Ritz Carlton. Enjoy!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:27 PM
joe

Go to http://images.google.com and then search for photos of the hotels. In addition to doing a search with each hotel name, try variations like Mauna Lani Bay beach or Mauna Lani Bay restaurant to get more of a selection.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:07 PM
Carrie

Thanks so much for all of the posts.

I was wondering if The Hapuna Prince and Mauna Kea are within walking distance to each other.
I'm leaning towards the Hapuna Prince (I like the rooms better, it's newer), but I love the beach at the Mauna Kea.

By the way . . .
what is the pool like at the Hapuna?

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:15 PM
Ron

Carrie, your "inclinations" are correct! The Hapuna DOES have better rooms and is newer, and with the gorgeous beach you're seeking! Even though the Mauna Kea has an EXCELLENT setting, as does the Mauna Lani (you will like both), I really do think the room will disappoint you at the Mauna Kea! Actually, the largest and nicest rooms are at the Four Seasons, but, unfortunately, it lacks an exciting beach for you! If you don't mind driving to the beach I would go with the Four Seasons!

By the way, dcp, it was The Orchid that was the Ritz-Carlton, NOT the Mauna Lani!