Beware of new scanners, will ruin film

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:50 AM
DianeG

Beware of new scanners, will ruin film

I was told by my travel agent today that the new scanners installed at many NA airports will ruin camera film packed in checked-in bags. She suggested that film be brought in your carry-on bag. Would a lead bag protect the film adequately, or would the opaque area it creates on the scanner "red light" your bag for it to be broken into and searched?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Rick

A lead bag cannot be "read" by the scanning equipment and often leads to a search of the suitcase. The best advise is to buy your film at your destination (if possible) and, hopefully, get it developed prior to your return flight. You cannot count on having your carry-on film hand-checked; that request is not always honored.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:18 PM
I hate it

Plus, they can cause your head to explode just by concentrating on you!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:34 PM
janis

(If you can post this on two boards I guess I can post a reply on both as well.)

DianeG - actually this is nothing new. It has been MANY years since it was OK to place film in checked bags - especially through European airports.

ALWAYS put put film in your carry-on. Film speeds under 800 or 1000 ASA will not be damaged by the scanners/Xray machines used for cabin bags so you most likely won't need a lead bag.

The effect is cumulative tho' so if you are on a trip that has you going through 8 or 10 aiprorts you might want to use a lead bag AND ask for hand screening. But don't count on them doing it.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:36 PM
beachbum

Most will tell you that as long as film speed is under 800, film in your carry-on baggage should be fine. But to be safe, pack the lead bag with film in your carry-on. They'll probably look through it, but that's better than them looking through checked bags.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:41 PM
kam

I accidently left 3 rolls in my suitcase last year coming from Heathrow. All 3 were blank whereas the ones in my carryon were fine. Sad way to learn a lesson, but I'll remember the next time. Oh....took the camera in and this was the only explanation store could give. Camera was working fine, other film OK.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Laurie

Does anyone know if video taped movies will be damaged by the scanners; and should videos be packed in luggage or carry-ons?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:06 PM
al

Kam, if your film was zapped by xrays it wouldn't be blank; it would be fogged. Sounds likes your film processor screwed up.