Search

Food & Film

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Food & Film

I have never been to Europe before so bear with me. When you take film through the airport, are you supposed to check it in your luggage, carry it in your carry on, or have it hand inspected so the x-rays don't ruin it. I've heard all three were best. Also, I saw something on TV a while back about a Texas Style Steak House in London. Anybody know where it is?
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:36 PM

Take film in your carry-on ONLY--not in checked luggage. They may run it through the X-ray there but it is not as strong as the checked baggage scanner.
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:43 PM

While carryon scanners shouldn't ruin film, I play it safe. I remove all my film from the boxes and plastic containers, and put it all in a clear zipper plastic bag. This is packed near the top of my carryon bag. At x-ray time, I pull out the bag of film and place it in the same containers for keys and such that you hand to the security person without scanning. Never had a problem with this..
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I bought a film bag that hold about 20 rolls.

My concern is that it was in my carry-on, went through the scanner, should have created a black hole and they didn't ask me any questions.

What does that say about something? Either my bag or their procedures.
Old May 12th, 2003, 02:39 PM

The real truth is that some of these "film bags" are not working. I was with a man who told the scanner he had it and she said it did not work because she could see all the film. Makes you wonder about the quality of these bags.
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
On the other hand, none of my film was ruined.
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:42 PM

I think the steakhouse you are referring to is called Texas Embassy. Sorry I can't tell you exact location, however. Maybe some else will chime in with it.
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:21 PM

I do not think much of the source which advised putting your film in checked luggage! If that's typical of its advice, don't use them again! Never, never put film in your checked luggage.
Old May 12th, 2003, 08:35 PM

And - if HowardR's warning wasn't strong enough -- never, Never, NEVER place film in checked luggage. (but this has been the norm for years - especially overseas)

You can ask for hand examinations - but that is never guaranteed - especially outside the US. But even w/o hand checking, normal speed films are not damaged by the scanners used for carry-on luggage.

agan - NEVER put film in a checked bag.
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:16 AM

Texas Embassy is on Cockspur Street between Pall Mall and Trafalgar Square. No idea how good it is. My cynical prejudice is that overseas imitations of anybody's native style, whether it's Irish pubs, Provencal auberges or Olde Englishe tea-shoppes (ugh), may disappoint or puzzle people familiar with the original.
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:28 AM

The Texas Embassy restaurant, assuming it hasn't moved in the last 18 months, is immediately behind Canada House, which is on the western side of Trafalgar Square. We went there a few times when I worked near there in 2001, and although I am no expert on texan food, the americans on our team thought it was great.

No one I know of has ever had problems with film in airport carryon xray machines but if you're still concerned, the solution could be to buy film once you get here and get it delevoped before you fly back.
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:52 AM

As the others have said, take your film in your CARRY-ON luggage.

As for the Texas style steakhouse, why come all the way to Europe for imitation American food? These days London has some of the best cuisine in the world, including some Michelin three star restaurants. Give yourself a treat and try one of these instead. Your hotel should be able to help you with reservations.