Reload this Page >

best way from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West by car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:18 PM
geno

We are driving from Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport to Key West, what is the best way to go?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:20 PM
xxx

Just follow the signs. It is clearly marked. Or get a map from a rental car counter. Basically you just need to get to U.S.1 and head South.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:23 PM
David

geno,

I just did the trip from Fort Lauderdale to Key West this past Saturday. Form the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport, follow the signs for 595 west to 95 south. Then from 95 take 1 south to the Keys. Don't forget to pick up a key lime pie while you are there.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Geno

Thanks, I was wondering about Miami traffic and would it be better to take the toll road. Looking forward to the key lime pie and some r & r.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:59 PM
David

Geno,

Being that it was a Saturday, I decided to take 95, which was no problem. If you are traveling to the Keys on a weekday morning, I would suggest the toll road to avoid the commute traffic into Miami. In the afternoon, the traffic seemed to be going northbound for the most part. If you do take the toll road, have plenty of quarters with you as the line for people with the exact change is shorter that the other lines where the toll collector has to make change. I was told that there are about 3 stops for toll payment in each direction therefore, you should have $2.25 in quarters if you plan on taking the toll road.
Have a great trip.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Larry

I would take the toll road (the Florida Turnpike) no matter what time of day. If you go 95 to US1 you will be going through at least 50 traffic lights, and the speed limit is 45. Even if there is little traffic and you make most of the lights, this way will take you about 30 minutes longer than the turnpike. So what's more important to you, a half hour of your vacation or $2.50 in tolls? Oh, and there is absolutely nothing scenic about the ride on US1 through Miami-Dade county. Do yourself a favor, from FTL go 595 west to the Florida Turnpike south until it ends.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 01:15 PM
geno

Thanks, sounds like the turnpike is the way for us to go, our plane gets in around 1:00 pm on wednesday. We will have some pie and tip a drink to you while watching the sun set.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Larry

Geno- Knowing your arrival date/time I want to re-stress my advice. By the time you get your bags and pick up your rental car you would be hitting US1 south of Miami in mid-afternoon; not quite rush hour but congested bad enough. Take the turnpike.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Larry

Geno- Knowing your arrival date/time I want to re-stress my advice. By the time you get your bags and pick up your rental car you would be hitting US1 south of Miami in mid-afternoon; not quite rush hour but congested bad enough. Take the turnpike. And have fun in the Keys.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:18 PM
john

Turnpike is usually always your best choice. Be sure to ask anyone at the rental car counters about any accidents or delays that might be a bit of a problem.

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:19 PM
Will

I drive South Florida roads every day. From the airport get on I-595 West to the Turnpike South. The turnpike will split. Take the Florida Turnpike Homestead Extension. Signs will say Key West. The turnpike goes all the way down to Florida City which is the gateway to the keys. I-95 ends in Miami and US1 traffic can be terrible. Then you take US1 south all the way.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:28 AM
Cindy

Definitely take the turnpike - and we always take a roll of quarters to cover the tolls both ways (actually, there are more than 3 stops. I think maybe 4) which are .75 each.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:46 AM
Bill

Take the turnpike. 95 is congested, drivers all drive like they are crazy and their is almost always construction going on.

Old May 4th, 2002, 07:27 PM
Will

FYI++There is no construction on I-95 in Broward or Miami-Dade County

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:07 AM
jim

How long does it take to drive from Miami airport to Key West. Mapquest indicates it's 160 miles and a 5 hour drive. Is that right?

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:11 AM
john

Its only about a 4 hour drive give or take.