Driving from FLL to Key West

Old May 10th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Driving from FLL to Key West

My neighbor in L.A. owns a home in Key West that she is nice enough to share with all of her friends and neighbors. So, we are finally off in 2 weeks with another neighbor couple to visit Key West!

In short, place to stay, and things to do already accounted for.

We are, however, flying into FLL, spending the night there before renting a car and driving down to Key West. We have never been to Florida, much less the Keys, so I thought it would be fun to take the long drive down Florida's Highway 1 (I have driven California's Highway 1 at least 30 times in my life!).

Have only a couple of questions.

The first (seen this question before on these forums, but am still confused) is the route to get there from Fort Lauderdale (airport area), and how to deal with the toll roads. And what I have heard is a sunpass, which I don't have. And I don't want to have an issue driving a rental car and get a ticket or have to pay an extortionate daily fee for this 5 or so hour trip.

So . . . can I avoid taking the toll roads, or is there at least one lane that has a real person taking money?

The second request is suggestions of places to stop on the long highway down to Key West. My plan (which always is subject to my husband's belief that one should never rise before noon when on vacation) is to pick up the rental around 10 and start the road trip down at that time. So stopping for a bite part way or to relieve ourselves of morning coffee or to see something truly magical or cool as we drive down would be ideal.

I welcome all comments from the sublime to the ridiculous.
Old May 10th, 2017, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have flown into FLL many times but only have driven to Key West once. The Keys are incredibly narrow and at many times it is a two line highway. Try and go during the week, because the traffic is less and I understand the weekends are ridiculous.

Renting at FLL can be incredibly expensive. What I do is reserve a car at FLL and one off premises, which is for a substantial savings. As the trip approaches, I check prices and I usually get a rental much cheaper at FLL.

The Florida people will tell you how avoid the tolls.
Old May 10th, 2017, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, you can avoid the tolls and here is how:

STAY OFF of Florida's Turnpike INCLUDING the Homestead Extension.

Use I-95 South to Miami and when that terminates you'll be on US Rte 1 which will take you all the way to Key West.

DO NOT USE other routes.

On the section of I-95 between here and Miami you ALSO need to stay OUT of the Express Lanes.
Old May 10th, 2017, 02:50 PM

Or you can just buy a Sunpass. It's cheap: $20 for the hard plastic one, or $5 for the sticker, plus tolls. The expensive option is to use the rental car company's transponder--don't do that.
https://www.sunpass.com
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:06 PM

NewbE is correct...you can buy into the system but you need to consult a map at this point and compare the routes. You may or may not think it is worthwhile.

IMO for the two trips you are going to make I wouldn't bother especially if you are going to be hitting the road at mid-day.
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Exactly the info I was looking for on the route, thanks! I will follow Duckey's advice on the route. I have paper maps, but also my trusty Tom Tom, which I've used successfully in the U.S. and in Europe. And husband has unlimited data on his cell phone, so can also use Waze, which I assume is available in Florida?

We're doing the trek on a Wednesday, so fortunately we'll avoid weekend traffic, especially since it is right before Memorial Day weekend. And I figured it might be similar to California traffic over Memorial Day weekend in that traffic starts to heat up on Thursday with the major rush on that Friday.

Now, how about stops along the way?
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:17 PM

Nothing wrong with avoiding tolls in the first place--just be aware that if you somehow end up on a toll road, the toll charge will go to your rental agency, which will tack on a fee before charging it to you.
Old May 11th, 2017, 12:59 AM

Get ready for some traffic on I-95 between here and Miami. It happens but for the most part it keeps moving. There are not only cars but a lot of commercial vehicles since even though there are two different rail routes in and out a considerably amount of goods from the two ports (Miami and Port Everglades) uses 95.

And then there's 1 in the so-called "Upper Keys" and sometimes one wonders, "Why the hell are we doing this?" but hang on because the views get better and better.

And then there's Key West itself which is IMO a real "mixed bag" to include people dragging Duval on weekends in "redneck cadillacs" to folks hanging off balconies drinking but plenty of charm of a sort.

You have to go at least once and enjoy it.
Old May 11th, 2017, 02:39 AM

Take some water and snacks in the car in case there is a tie up on the road through the Keys.
Old May 11th, 2017, 05:18 AM

Have fun. Plan for a late lunch somewhere along the way. Islamorada has some great places to grab a bite with great views.
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:08 AM

I haven't driven the FLL to US 1 sections, but I would follow Dukey's advice if I had to.

I LOVE Key West, not the Duvall Street part but the cottages and art cars and gardens that make it (for me) like Venice, CA. Eat at a Cuban grocery at least once (lunch) and at Louis' Back Porch, a tourist spot that is not a trap (and not cheap). The Truman White House is worth a visit to see how simply the president lived before the Imperial Presidency.

Now the road down. Much of what you will see reminds me of Pismo Beach, though it may not remind you at all. Stop at a joint for grouper sandwiches and conch chowder. There are lots of joints. Look at your paper map carefully, and you will see that there are beautiful public beaches just a few blocks off the highway. If you spent a night on the way, you might go charter fishing next morning, either in a boat inshore or offshore or with a guide on the flats fishing for bonefish.
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:57 AM

If you leave at 10, you could grab a very early lunch on Ocean Drive in South Beach... there are dozens of cafes and bistros across from the beach in the world famous deco district,and a walk down Ocean is a great start to your drive...

Then jump back on the road and head for the keys... Key Largo is a great early stop, and Islamorada a mid point bathroom stop... we used to stop at the huge Outdoor sportsman fishing complex in Islamorada along with Islamorada seafood company.

After that it's an easy drive to Key West...
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:09 AM

I traveled with family to Key West several years ago during my niece's spring break in March. From the Miami airport, we detoured to walk the Anhinga Trail in the Everglades which was fabulous, like walking into the bird section of the Garden of Eden, and also stopped for shakes at Robert Is Here.
Old May 11th, 2017, 02:42 PM

I would probably skip South Beach because it is so far out of the way and Miami traffic is always horrible.

However, you could take A1A after the traffic and drive through South Beach and stop.

As far as where to stay, if you decide you do want to take the scenic route, drive A1A and just stay in South Beach.

Otherwise I'd stay at either The Pillars, The Ritz-Carlton, or W Fort Lauderdale Beach. Las Olas has great places to eat.

As far as the keys, take Card Sound Road into the keys are the views are much prettier and definitely stop at Alabama Jacks on the water.
Old May 11th, 2017, 04:30 PM

If you arrive in non-rush hour, consider going from the airport right to South Beach... then you can have dinner and breakfast the next day before the drive to the Keys... it is nice to be south of Miami traffic to start...
Old May 12th, 2017, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

South Beach sounds great (reminds me of the movie, The Birdcage!), but we're kind of committed to just getting off the plane mid-evening in Fort Lauderdale and sticking close to the airport before hitting the road the next day. Selected the Residence Inn Dania Beach, since there's a free shuttle to and from the airport.

We will probably be hungry after a long flight on airlines that no longer serve anything other than peanuts. I suspect the hotel isn't near many dining options, but if you have any suggestions, please let me know. We won't have a car yet.

Oh, and I never heard of "grouper" . . . sounds like something I must try!
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:31 PM

Here are my two cents:
Residence inn Dania beach is coincidently close to Islamorada fish co. At the Bass pro shops you could walk there from your hotel. Or you can take an uber to Rustic Crab house which is practically an institution.
I would seriously consider getting a sun pass and taking the turnpike to Homestead. The stretch of us1 from I95 to homestead will take you forever. There will be light after light.
Card sound road is not more scenic then us1. All you see is mangroves. No views of the ocean or the gulf. Only reason to take it is if US1 is backed up or if you are going to Alabama Jacks.
Having lunch in south beach would be a little out of the way imho.
If you plan on leaving around 10ish, I would try to make it all the way to key largo for lunch.

Good luck!
Old May 24th, 2017, 01:12 PM

Some thoughts on your drive:

>>>avoid going through Miami via I-95, it can be hellish. Also, check on google maps to see real-time info on where highway construction is occurring, and try to avoid that

>>>we like to take the Florida Expressway which makes a big loop westward around the Miami metro area; you avoid a lot of the intense truck traffic, and the flow is usually very smooth (get the Sunpass for this)

>>>I would recommend your buying a Sunpass at the airport, it's money well spent....that is, if you go ahead and rent a car. There's another way...see below:

>>>there are a couple of van services which go from FLL and MIA down route 1 to Key West. If you were to take a van, you could have a cold beer/margarita in the airport when you rrive to prime you for your Key West visit, then relax in the van, and enjoy the scenery without having to watch the highway (the turquoise water views become better and better as you go south and the Seven Mile Bridge really is 7 miles long and a wonder).

>>>If you do drive, I would second the above opinion that Card Sound Road doesn't really merit a detour away from route 1.

>>>Be aware that the speed limit on route 1 is usually 45 mph, but there are many little villages and a town or two where the speed limit drops down from there. Traffic cops abound, don't speed.

>>>Islamorada has several good informal seafood places overlooking the water.

>>>If you are staying in Old Town in Key West, you will not need a car. You can walk everywhere in 25 minutes, or rent a bike. Parking is a pain.

Enjoy your visit!
Old May 27th, 2017, 03:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I have been gone so just saw this. On your way home we always stop at 91885 Overseas Hwy, Tavernier, FL 33070. Put that in your tom tom. You have the Cuban market and Moka Cafe together. My husband goes and gets Cuban food and I buy the pastry's and sandwiches made on baguettes and we eat in their little shady outdoor area. Good coffee at both places.

The Rain Barrel is a good stop to stretch your legs. http://www.rainbarrelsculpture.com/

Don't get in a hurry and try passing. We use to take the side roads but getting back into the flow of traffic is just a pain.
Hope your having fun. KW is like our second home and we love it there.
Old May 27th, 2017, 06:46 PM

Calling Miami traffic "hellish" and saying nothing about that traffic mess on Route 1 through the Keys is criminal IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -