Search

Best Waikiki Beach Hotel for Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Waikiki Beach Hotel for Honeymoon

Hi friends,

It's 4 am and I've been reading posts for hours. My head is foggy and I'm starting to nod off. I'm still not sure which Waikiki hotel to book for my honeymoon this August.

If you could spend up to $300 a night for 5 nights for an ocean view room at any hotel on Waikiki beach, which would you pick and why?

We want to be in the middle of the action, yet also be able to stay in our room and enjoy the scenary outside.

Much obliged.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 09:08 AM

Hilton Hawaiian Village is great, but kind of busy. Halekulani is wonderful! I've also stayed at Waikiki Shore condos - great location & views - not deluxe, by any means, but nice.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

I saw a map and noticed the following hotels right on the beach: Hilton Hawaiian Village, Halekulani, Sheraton Waikiki, Royal Hawaiian, Outrigger Waikiki and Reef, and Sheraton Moana. Further west is W Diamond Head and the Oriental.

Which of these hotels and why? All of them sound great so far from what I've read.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 12:40 PM

I can't be of much help but we chose the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach for 3 nights this April for the location and it seemed to get good reviews. I used the Entertainment rate for a ocean front room. I can let you know after April if we liked it.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 12:48 PM

I have the Entertainment Book and the Outrigger Waikiki Beach is not listed???
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 01:00 PM

I called them and they said they accepted the Entertainment card. I think I had gotten the information from this board that they acepted it. I made my reservations in Jan. for April. The rates may be lower now in light of the war.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 01:12 PM

I've stayed at several hotels in Waikiki for extended periods of time (I have done some consulting projects on Oahu) and my favorite of all is the Halekulani. I think it is perfect for a honeymoon. A perfect little oasis.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

I saw a map and noticed the following hotels right on the beach: Hilton Hawaiian Village, Halekulani, Sheraton Waikiki, Royal Hawaiian, Outrigger Waikiki and Reef, and Sheraton Moana. Further west is W Diamond Head and the Oriental.

Which of these hotels and why? All of them sound great so far from what I've read.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Why did it reprint my question...

Anyways, thanks for the advice everyone.

I am looking into the Oriental right now, but I'm still open to other options. I really like that they have teak floors and Tibetan carpets in the rooms, or at least that's what Expedia says. They have a good deal for $372.80 on Expedia.com for 5 nights in an ocean view room. Does anyone know if I can get a better rate on another website or through a travel agent?
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:48 PM

What is the ORIENTAL?
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 03:21 PM
nyc

The Mandarin Oriental is in Kahala, which is a Honolulu suburb. It's outside of Waikiki, so it's away from the main action. However, they do have a shuttle service to Waikiki. It will be quieter than any of the Waikiki hotels.

If you want the best in terms of Waikiki without regard to cost, the Halekulani fits the bill, and it's right in the middle of everything. However, their ocean view rooms are in excess of $400 a night. I doubt you could get an ocean view for less than $300 there. Same holds true for Royal Hawaiian. You might try booking a partial ocean or city view room and then getting upgraded by telling them you're on your honeymoon.

Wherever, you're staying, I'm sure you'll have a good time.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 03:22 PM

That would be the Kahala Mandarin Oriental hotel. Nice hotel but not located in Waikiki. One of my favorite hotels in Waikiki is Sheraton Moana Surfrider.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:21 AM

i stayed at Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. it was fine, but for a honeymoon i would choose Halekulani absolutely!!
you will be in middle of the action, but be able to find peace and quiet and beautiful serene surroundings at the Halekulani.....
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 09:26 AM

We LOVED the Kahala Mandarin. It seems like a wonderful place for a honeymoon, and the rooms really are superb. I'd return just for the bathtub alone. They have also built a new spa that you and your bride can take advantage of.

It is in Kahala, which is a residential community south of Waikiki. But it is easy enough to take their shuttle or your rental car into Waikiki. Personally, two days in Waikiki is enough and the rest of the time you will want to explore the island. Have dinner at Roy's one night. Sunset cocktails at Jameson's on the north shore. Spend a day on Lanikai Beach on the windward side of the island. Visit Bishop Museum and Chinatown for local flavor. Hike Diamond Head. Have a wonderful time!

30 days and counting for us!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:03 PM

We always stay at the Royal Hawaiian. The location is in the middle of everything on Waikiki. Plus they have a small area of beach roped off for their guests. Request the original building even though it does not have balconies. We have found it to be the most romantic hotel and one of our favorites in the world. No , the rooms are not resort fancy like newer hotels but very classy. We have always booked garden view rooms and have been happy in those but on our 10th annirversary they upgraded us to a mini suite, and on our 20th they upgraded us to ocean front, sent up champagne and invitied us to a private cocktail party. It never hurts to let them know in advance (I sent e-mail after we made reservations) that you are celebrating a special occasion. Don't forget to have a mai tai at the Mai Tai Bar with a wonderful view of Diamond Head.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:37 PM

The Kahala Mandarin or the Halekulani are great choices. Also, any of the Sheraton hotels would be good--I was just at the Sheraton Waikiki this morning and the beach view was spectacular as I ate my tropical fruit breakfast of lychee, papaya, pineapple and some other fruits. And the water was so clear, so you could see the turtles swimming....sorry, the image is so fresh in my mind, that's why I'm touting it.