Best time to visit Empire State Building

Dec 10th, 2002, 06:02 PM
EMZ

Best time to visit Empire State Building

Is there a better time of the day or better day of the week to visit the Empire State Building to avoid crowds. Is there a better view at night or during the day?

Dec 10th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Sian

Probably on a weekday either as early as possible or late afternoon. You should be able to avoid school groups and daytrippers (nothing against them.) The lines can be really long any time of day on the weekends.

Dec 10th, 2002, 06:33 PM
space

When it's open.

Dec 10th, 2002, 07:17 PM
travelbuff

The lines can be REALLY long, so I would suggest going first thing in the morning if you want the best view of the city. At night, the lights are really beautiful, especially this time of year, but go during the day to see more.

Then take the Staten Island Ferry just at dusk that way you are comming back to Manhattan as all the lights are comming up and the Statue of Liberty will be so beautiful. You go very close to the statue on the way out. When you get to Staten Island, you will probably have to get off the boat and go to the waiting room to get back on to head back to the city. The trip is free, and the lights of the city on the way back are breathtaking.

Have a GREAT time.

Dec 10th, 2002, 08:43 PM
cindy

Buy & Print your tickets on-line, it will save you from one very long line. But there are several more long lines inside.

Dec 11th, 2002, 07:32 AM
r-travels

I agree w/ Cindy. We visited on a Saturday night, and the line to buy tickets was looooong. Long lines after too, but absolutely nothing like that first line. Purchase ahead of time. Also consider Citypass if you're going to be visiting a number of other sights.

Dec 11th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Statia

We've had good luck after 10 p.m. on weeknights...if you want a night-time view.

Dec 14th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Sara

We went up around 9:30 - 10:00pm - beautiful!

Dec 15th, 2002, 04:48 AM
suzanne

Just remember, if you take a flash photo of the city at night from the top of the ESB, it won't come out! From Brooklyn we can see all those flashes going off - about one per second - my boyfriend and I laugh and say, "oops, another wasted picture!" ;-)

Have a great trip!

Dec 15th, 2002, 07:33 AM
xxx

Actually Susan, you are completely wrong. Of course, the flash on those pictures isn't accomplishing anything, but the pictures generally come out great. All the lights show in the picture and it looks just like it did in person. No one is actually trying to light up the buildings themselves when they take a flash picture, but the flash doesn't cause any problem. The picture taker could turn off his flash, but if he doesn't there probably won't be any difference in the end result anyway.

Dec 15th, 2002, 09:07 AM
travelgirl

i'd suggest the evening (or night) - no lines and a breathtaking view.

Dec 16th, 2002, 10:22 AM
xxx

TTTTT

Search this Thread