Search

Statue of Liberty

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Statue of Liberty

I know Statue of Liberty can be seen by ferry to Ellis Island---is it worth the visit to stop? I went there 10 years ago and there were long lines and not much access? Have things changed and if so, are there certain tickets we should buy?
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 03:45 PM

Here's a start:

https://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/index.htm

You can walk on the grounds pretty much any time.
You can stand on the pedestal if you reserve a week or so in advance. Do NOT count on getting a pedestal ticket on the day of your visit.
You can walk up to the crown IF you reserve several months in advance. You won't get that great of view, however.

I consider the view of the Statue from the Staten Island Ferry one of the most wonderful experiences a person can enjoy.
I also consider the climb to the crown of the Statue to be one of the biggest wastes of time I've ever experienced in 57 years of travel.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Statue of Liberty ticket includes Ellis Island. Go EARLY, the first few boats out to avoid the crowds. Once off, go straight to the Statue as there will be security lines to get in. We dawdled around the grounds, more boats came in, and when we got to the Statue, lines were long.

I loved both the SoL and Ellis Island and wish I could have spent more time at Ellis Island. Next time!
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 10:23 AM

If what you want is the [awe-inspriting] view of the SOL there are better places to get that than on the island itself. I personally think the view from the Staten Island ferry is too distant, so I’d try to find someplace that gives you a closer up view. That all said, if you have the time, a visit to Ellis Island is fantastic.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

We are taking the ferry to Ellis Island---would that be the ferry you are stating is a good view or too distant? We have heard of the Circle Line---have you been on that?
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 10:11 AM

No, it's the Staten Island Ferry that I think is too distant, although I just looked at images online and it looks pretty close, but not the way I remember it!

(I was on the Circle Line on a school field trip when I was in 4th grade - almost 50 years ago, so I doubt my information would be too relevant LOL).
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 10:17 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The same ferry goes to the SOL and Ellis Island.
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 01:42 PM

I actually enjoyed the Park Ranger's talk at the Statue of Liberty. That was easily 5 years ago and I know a lot has changed there. We got tickets for the first ferry of the day and I didn't regret it.