Search

Peter Luger

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:18 PM
peter

Peter Luger

Hello:
I want to have diner in Peter Luger,how can I go to there by subway?Is it safe in this area?How much with one steak,and what's your comment?
Thank you

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Bryce

Peter Luger????
Huh?
Where?
Subway?

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:25 PM
curious

What city would that be in, Peter?

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:51 PM
peter

It located at NY brooklyn

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Allan

Peter Luger in my opinion is the best Steakhouse in the city. A meal will cost $50-$75 a person.

The neigborhood is okay and you shouldn't have any problems. Getting there by subway is a bit of a pain, and it's probably best to take a cab if you're not familiar with the subways.

Be aware, you need to make a reservation at least a month in advance.

A

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Alana

Peter Luger is cash only, as well, so go prepared. It is a great dining experience. especially for a group.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Patrick

Book well ahead. I've mentioned before that I arrived in NYC for a month on May 1 and called immediately to get a reservation at Peter Luger. I asked for any night in the month of May and couldn't get anything except at about 3:30 in the afternoon -- no openings for dinner for the entire month!!!

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 10:40 AM
david

They also have a location in Great Neck,LI. Same steaks and menu(although some argue that Brooklyn is a little better). You can take the LIRR to Great Neck and than a taxi to the restaurant. Should be no more than a 45 minute trip each way.

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 11:44 AM
SAM

I've been successful walking in with two and four people on many occasions. They park you at the bar for about an hour, but it has always been worth it. Save room for the SCHLAAG!!!!

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Tammy

What is SCHLAAG?

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Mark

Everyone has always had this love affair with Peter Lugers and the past two times I visited there it just seemed avg and it did not seem worth the long wait for a reservation, the meat was overdone and you can't use MC/VISA etc. I have found a grand new steakhouse called Mark Joseph's located near the South Street Seaport much easier to get to than Brooklyn and the food and the waitstaff are 100% times better!!!!!!! They are located at 261 Water St. (off Peck Slip)
New York (212) 277-0020

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 01:01 PM
SAM

Tammy Schlaag is their dessert. It is a whip cream that has the consistency of wall spackle and is sooo good. They serve it with fresh strawberries that look like they were grown next to a nuclear power plant. As locals say "Da Best"

Mark your right about Mark Josephs. I have only been once, but thought it was great. My other favorite is the old homestead

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:36 PM
xxx

They serve a dessert called Tammy Schlagg? Sounds like my kinda place.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Tammy

Thanks Sam, it sounds delicious!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:01 AM
x

Here's another vote for Peter Luger's isn't worth it. Food is good, but IMHO, not as good as many others, and certainly not worth the abuse or the atmosphere you suffer when you eat there. How about Sparks (in midtown) or the Palm (3 in midtown, and all over the country).

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Frank

Another vote for SPARKS in midtown. The location, ambiance, and food combine to make it my overall favorite.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 05:44 AM
meganoreilly

Peter Lugers blows. try Gallaghers-much better

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:23 AM
oldorch

peter luger's is hard to get to by subway. i'd take a cab but this time of year it's not too convenient. cash or luger card only. one basic cut of meat (generally). gruff staff and expensive. i personally think it is one of the weaker steak houses in ny considering everything. i'd rather sparks, post house or even mortons. just my opinion though (i have been to all these places many times)

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:50 AM
xxx

Peter Luger exists because of what it is -- and that isn't being the greatest steaks in New York. They are smart to keep it cash or their card only, and to make it impossible to reserve ahead or to keep you waiting. They are also smart to keep training their servers in abuse management. People go simply because it is hard to get to, it isn't fancy, they only take cash, they offer very little as if that is great, and they lay lots of gruff abuse on you. It's all a gimmick but it is fun. But if you really want a great steak, there are a dozen places to go that are better.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Nycer

If you want a perfectly aged porterhouse steak, go to Luger's. You can get there by subway, although usually I take a cab, and then return into the city via subway.

Overrated, I think not. It is simply the best steak in NYC. But, it doesn't have a wonderful atmosphere and it doesn't have a huge menu. Typically, one orders the porterhouse for 2,3,or 4 with suggested sides. I personally think the best thing on the menu is the grilled bacon appetizer. It is really incredible.

The area is desolate and Peter Lugar's is the only thing out there in the area, but I think it is relatively safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -