Best state to visit with young kids

Old Feb 26th, 2020, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best state to visit with young kids

We are thinking about visiting the US in late summer or fall this year with our two young kids: age 1 and 4. The plan is to stay for approx. 4-5 weeks and go for a light roadtrip: multiple locations but definitely not every day on the road and also not too long drives. We are quite the 'outdoorsy' types so we might even consider buying a tent when we arrive and then combine campgrounds with b&b's/motels/lodges. Easy hiking (max 4-5h trips), cycling, enjoying nature, not too crowded... to name a few of our interests. Lying on a beach for a whole day or visiting theme parks are not our cup of tea.

What would be a good state for us to visit? Currently we have Oregon on our radar with both nice areas near the ocean and great inland nature. But I can imagine there are a lot more (hidden) gems that could be perfect for some relaxed family exploration and enjoying the beauties of the country, without going to places that are already stuffed with tourists.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 02:19 PM

Living in Colorado I am a big fan of Colorado. Easier to get to. Wide range of activities from wine tasting to climbing mountains -- some you can drive to the top of.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 05:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Instead of buying a tent, check out the Oregon State Parks that have yurts. Sleeping in a bed in a yurt beats taking down a wet tent when it rains during the night. My favorite campgrounds with yurts are William Tugman near the Oregon Dunes and Sunset Bay SW of Coos Bay.
For an inland park with yurts (only 4) try for Champoeg (pronounced SHAM poo EE) which was the spot that the state was chartered on February 14, 1859.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 01:42 AM

I'll nominate New England. I think you can spend 4-5 weeks in Vermont, NH and Maine but you have the other states, too. Here are my suggestions:
NH: many hiking opportunities from short to long. Even the city of Concord NH has hiking (and biking) trails
Squam Lakes Science Center in Holderness - also their pontoon boat nature cruises on beautiful Squam Lake
Kayaking: You can be dropped off on the Merrimack River for a long paddle. You won't see any houses until you get to the pick up point but there are small secluded beaches along the way. We pulled out for lunch. Interesting birds to see included a tall sandbank where birds nest. Sometimes in late August the river is very shallow in this section so there won't be any boat traffic until you get closer to the end where there's a deep area and swimming beach. Pontoon boats can reach this point. You'll have to judge the safety of taking a 1 year old. The rental place has two person kayaks. If you just kayak from their rental location you can easily reach a secluded sandy beach but this river has boat traffic and is deep.
Visit apple orchards/PYO places: some have tractor/wagon rides. Or visit Beech Hill Farm for ice cream, farm animals to visit and corn maze also giant sand pile and trucks to play with. Nearby Carter Hill orchard has a wonderful play area for small children and also a viewing stand for hawk migration which I don't think starts until October.
Rainy Day Fun: SEE science center in Manchester NH - wonderful Leggo recreation of mill yards.
Flume: public/fee long walk thru gorge. It might be too crowded during the time you visit. Our son likes to take visiting friends with children to places like Polar Caves and Lost River.
Cog Railway to top of Mt. Washington
Tram ride up Cannon Mountain
Prescott Farm Laconia NH trails
Petals in the Pines, Canterbury NH - perfect for young ones Nature Explore Outdoor Classroom, small and unique, check their events

Vermont: Montshire Museum in Norwich. Pick a time when you can also visit the very festive and fun Norwich Farmers Market on Saturday mornings.
Burlington area: check out biking north of town. Sorry, I forget the name of the area but it's on Lake Champlain.
Google "vermont swimming holes" for places where you can go swimming. You'll have to judge safety for little ones. The one near Bristol was very beautiful and it was fun to picnic and watch teens jumping off ledges. Downstream was very shallow so you could walk across if you had water shoes (very rocky)
Great Vermont Corn Maze in Danville

Maine: lots of beaches from sandy to rocky. Download map to Harpswells Conservation areas to hike and explore. A favorite is simply right off the road, small beach and a little shade. Good place for a picnic.
Portland: Fort Williams park has incredible view of Casco Bay. On the north side of Casco Bay there is the Eastern Prom. I think both have a children's playground. Very popular with families and picnics. You can easily visit one of the islands via the Mailboat cruises. A friend recommends Peaks. We just enjoy the boat ride and narration.
Boothbay area: Maine Coastal Gardens
Monhegan Island: Long boat ride and fun hiking.
Mt Battie/Camden: hike or drive to the top for great view overlooking the harbor. Bring binoculars.
Owls Head: easy hike to lighthouse but you have to go up the stairs to see the view. There's a rocky beach along the way. Owls Head Transportation Museum might not be on you list of things to do but check their weekend schedule for events. I liked seeing antique airplanes fly.
Lighthouses: interesting to visit the ones on land. Usually areas to wander, places to sit. (We carry bag chairs in the car.)
Sandy beaches tend to be south of Portland. York is popular with families. Enjoy exploring tide pools.
We haven't been to Acadia in a long time but it's very popular for biking on the old carriage roads.

If you visit in August, various NH towns celebrate Old Home Days. There is usually a parade which might be very short. Some keep it low key with old fashioned games in the park, horse shoes for adults, easy listening live music. Picnics encouraged. The best ones feature a chicken barbecue. Also check library schedules for free story times. Ours also offers one day a week with educational toys to play with. You can find public suppers given by churches, granges, etc. which frequently are buffets with a main dish such as ham and beans. We've gone to lobster suppers in Maine. Also check local newspapers for free outdoor summer concerts which tend to be held around 6pm.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 03:33 AM

Being from outside the US you would rob yourself of an immense opportunity if you didn't visit our quite incredible national parks all of which would offer hiking but so much more. If you travel after our Labor Day (first Monday in September) you will find things less crowded as our schools are in session.
Having a one year old would seem to require some nap time, but maybe that will be in the backpack carried by a parent.
I am also a big fan of Colorado and Rocky Mountain National Park offers offers hikes, high views and wildlife. Colorado also offers a number of dinosaur sites--just south of Denver is Morrison and Dinosaur Ridge. And then just out of Colorado Springs in Woodland CO is a wonderful museum of prehistoric creatures. There are old gold mines to visit (kids might REALLY like to do something more than walk), and bike trails. There is fly fishing or just plain fishing. Hot springs. Trampoline gyms for kids to bounce around.

And I hope you will allow at least a short time to visit Washington DC--lots to do and interest young children. There is plenty of walking to do it also!

There are some spectacular places to visit in the US and the variety of sights can be totally awesome.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 05:33 AM

Late summer is typically quite dry for OR and WA, which are both great states for families to explore, especially for the natural beauty. We are tent campers (backpackers) and have never had an issue with a wet tent that time of year, FWIW. Often times we don't even use the fly, unless we are in a windy area. I am sure that you know what OR has to offer since that is on your radar, but WA has Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens, and Mt Baker for the big ones, but also tons of other great areas such as Stehekin, Whidbey Island, Olympic National Park and then the entire east side of the state.
Old Feb 27th, 2020, 02:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Really your wish list could be most any state in the US. California, Oregon, or Washington would all work.

But personally I love New England and the states are so much smaller, so you would not have to limit yourself to just one... Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine all fit your request.

But there are beautiful states "back east" in the US all the southern states, down to and including Florida could be good.

No need to lay on a beach or go to a theme park... ever... doesn't matter which state you choose.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the quick replies. I really like the suggestion of New England. Regarding the flight it has a big plus that it is a lot cheaper to fly to Boston instead of Portland or Denver. And it is a 7 hour flight instead of 10-11 hours. The idea of multiple smaller states sounds nice and there is indeed a lot to do/discover. Also Acadia NP looks stunning with a lot to do for kids/toddlers. Colorado and Oregon/Washington will stay on our wishlist, probably sometime when our kids are a bit older.

But if there are additional must see/do advices for New England, it is still very welcome!
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 04:02 AM

I really hope you will not overlook visiting the larger cities and their museums for you--AND even your very young children. I don't know your home offerings but there are unique things everywhere and it instills curiosity in children to visit them early.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 05:29 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I seldom miss the chance to promote the Pacific Northwest, British Columbia and Alaska, but given your specific situation, I have to agree that New England is probably the better choice. I would also suggest that you have enough time to visit parts of Canada while you're there - maybe the Maritime provinces but for sure Quebec - Quebec City, Montreal, maybe the Saint Lawrence River and Gaspé Peninsula, maybe the glorious autumn foliage in the Laurentides/Laurentians north of Montreal.

Old Feb 28th, 2020, 06:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunshyme
Thank you all for the quick replies. I really like the suggestion of New England. Regarding the flight it has a big plus that it is a lot cheaper to fly to Boston instead of Portland or Denver. And it is a 7 hour flight instead of 10-11 hours. The idea of multiple smaller states sounds nice and there is indeed a lot to do/discover. Also Acadia NP looks stunning with a lot to do for kids/toddlers. Colorado and Oregon/Washington will stay on our wishlist, probably sometime when our kids are a bit older.

But if there are additional must see/do advice for New England, it is still very welcome!
Yes New England sounds like a better trip for you than the Pacific Northwest. At least part of your trip could be on a train or two. If you fly to Boston, see Boston and then take one of several daytime Amtrak Downeaster trains from Boston North Station up into Maine. Rent your car in Maine and then go to see all six Northeast states and maybe upstate New York. You could easily visit Niagara Falls.
Return the car in Maine and take a Downeaster back to Boston where you can get on a Northeast Regional train from Boston South station to New York or even Philadelphia, Baltimore or Washington DC.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 07:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tomfuller
Yes New England sounds like a better trip for you than the Pacific Northwest. At least part of your trip could be on a train or two. If you fly to Boston, see Boston and then take one of several daytime Amtrak Downeaster trains from Boston North Station up into Maine. Rent your car in Maine and then go to see all six Northeast states and maybe upstate New York. You could easily visit Niagara Falls.
Return the car in Maine and take a Downeaster back to Boston where you can get on a Northeast Regional train from Boston South station to New York or even Philadelphia, Baltimore or Washington DC.

Regarding Lake Champlain, the Lake Champlain Causeway with a bike ferry over to the Champlain Islands which go into Canada is a wonderful place to walk or bike. You have views to the west of the Adirondack Mts and to the east of Mount Mansfield, Green Mts.
There are 30 Mike’s of bike paths along the shoreline in the Burlington area.
Vt Teddy Bear Factory is south as is the incredible Shelburne Museum.
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 02:22 AM

There is a DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer available for each state. You can buy one at most gas stations, book stores, etc. They are very detailed road maps including seasonal roads plus they show covered bridges, waterfalls, etc. You may want to pick up a guide to hiking in the White Mountains with children. Tom Fuller made a good suggestion to take a train to Maine and then rent a car. You can also take a bus right from Logan Airport. It might be easier and cheaper to rent a car else where.
I think New England is a good choice based on your children's ages.
Should you decide to spend some time in Boston, in addition to places like the Children's Museum, the Rose Kennedy Greenway is a nice walk from Chinatown to Quincy Market (and then it's just a short walk to the Italian North End). Duck boat rides and even Swan boat rides are possible. I tend not to want to take young children into Quincy Market because it is so crowded but use your best judgement. It might be more fun on a Friday or Saturday to visit Haymarket Square when the push cart vendors are there. Good place to buy fresh fruit.

If you decide to come in August, there are end of summer events. We used to go to Musterfield Farm in North Sutton NH for farming days which will be August 29-30, 2020. Calendar of Events | Muster Field Farm Usually people allow children to sit on the tractors and around 3pm there's a tractor parade. According to the website, working oxen will be there on Sunday. They were one of my favorites and if it's still the same it will be the younger 4-H kids taking their working steers thru an obstacle course. I have a huge amount of respect for how much work the kids do to train their animals. Labor Day weekend is when there are two state fairs at the same time in different parts of NH. You can ignore the midway and go early to go thru the animals barns and watch some 4-H events. Although there is plenty of "fair food" you can also eat good home cooking at one of the church booths. We used to go early and have breakfast and it is much quieter and less crowded before the midway opens. I'm sure you will find similar events in the other states.