Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where to visit in summer with young kids....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have four kids - ages 2 - 12. Which country/part of country is the best to visit - don't want it too hot. Would love to see Belize, Mexico, Costa rica...

Looking for a safe, fairly convenient from airport, family-friendly, adventurous vacation.

Yes, I know, just having the four kids is adventure enough!! But we want to show them things they've never seen or experienced.

Oh! And we don't want to stick the kids in a program - would love to do things with them.

Thanks.

Lisa
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 05:34 PM

The Costa Alegre south of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in a great place to explore. Check it out at: www.emilebymile.com and go to the Mexico section.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Any other ideas?
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Iza

We have been going to Costa Rica for the last few years (always in August), since our daughter was 6. She loves it there. Costa Rica is very safe and kids find the flora and fauna fascinating. If you are looking for an active vacation, that is the way to go. The only disadvantage may be the convenience to the airport. Most international flights arrive in San Jose which is 3-5 hours drive from any major beach area and 3 hours from an active volcano (Arenal). The transportation arrangements are much easier if you limit your trip to northwestern Costa Rica as then you can fly directly to Liberia which is about 40 minutes away from several good beach areas and about an hour from another volcanic national park (Rincon de la Vieja).

If you let me know if you have any special interests or questions and I will be happy to give you some more information.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:00 PM

Well, basic travel sense is to go north in the summer and south in the winter. However, the Costa Rica highlands are comparatively pleasant temperaturewise in the summer.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Iza

That's funny, Rufus. I guess we are contrarians because we go to Costa Rica in the summer and Canada (skiing) in winter ;-)

We did not find Costa Rica hotter than Connecticut in August. And the highlands are actually much cooler and very pleasant in the summer.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 06:29 PM

That's why it's called the land of eternal spring--in the highlands, that is.