Reload this Page >

Best Shopping in Boston for Younger Set

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 01:17 PM
klam

Where's the best shopping for the younger set? Think just graduated uni, thin, gorgeous thing--unfortunately not me! Plan on going shopping with a friend who will be visiting Boston this weeknend. Newbury? Boylston? Any thoughts?

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 12:42 PM
heather

newbury street - no question.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:25 PM
Leslie

If price is not a concern, then its Newbury Street. But, if you have a budget there's an H&M on Washington Street. Also on Washington Street is Macy's, Filene's, Filene's Basement, TJ Maxx and Marshalls.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:01 PM
love

There is a great shop on Newbury Street called Appletons', check it out.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:19 PM
klam

heather, Leslie, and lts: thanx a mint for your suggestions. Just in time too as I'm meeting her tomorrow pm. I'll see what shape her pocketbook is in and plan accordingly. We can always head back to Newbury to window shop (and check out Appletons') afterwards!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:32 PM
Leslie

If you haven't shopped til you dropped, and still have time, head over to the Prudential Center or Neiman Marcus in Copley Square. There's also a Marshall's on Boylston Street in Copley Square.

So many stores, so many possibilities. Who is going to carry all of the shopping bags?

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:03 PM
Abbie

For Thanksgiving I'm going to visit a friend who moved to Marlborough. How far out is this from some of these places mentioned? It's my first time back there so I'm a bit excited.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:22 PM
Leslie

If you're going to be in Marlborough, for shopping go to the Solomon Pond Mall. It's not a large mall, but there is a Filene's there and a lot of other shops. Otherwise, come to Framingham and Natick and there is shopping galore.

In Framingham, there is Shopper's World (TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Babies R Us, KRU, Barnes & Noble, AC Moore, DSW, Mikasa, Bob's, Gateway).

Framingham Mall - Target and Homegoods.

Framingham - stand alone stores - Bed, Bath and Beyond, WalMart, Border's Bookstore, Kohl's.

Natick Mall - Sears, Macy's, Filene's, and Lord & Taylor are the anchor stores, but there are another 100 smaller shops, like the Gap.

Sherwood Plaza - Christmas Tree Shops.

Clover Leaf Mall - Burlington Coat Factory, Michael's.

Parking is free at all of the malls, but good luck finding a parking spot.

All of these malls are located on Route 9 (nicknamed the Golden Mile), Route 30 (which runs parallel to Route 9, and Speen Street (Clover Leaf Mall).

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:28 PM
Leslie

Abbie, I didn't fully answer your questions. From Marlborough to Boston, its about a 45 minute ride. It's not worth going into Boston unless you're going to take the train, because parking is ridiculously expensive, and you have to add on the tolls on the Massachusetts Turnpike (Acting Governor Jane Swift increased them to pay for the Big Dig).

There's plenty of shopping opportunities in Framingham and Natick. All of the stores I mentioned are within a 1 mile radius. From Marlborough to Framingham, the ride is about 20 minutes.

Forgot to mention that there's a Frugal Fannie's on Route 30, opposite the Post Office and an REI diagonally across the street from Homegoods on Route 30.

Have your friend take you to Framingham and Natick to go shopping. The stores will be opened later than in Boston (up to midnight at some stores during the holiday shopping season).

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:32 PM
klam

Wow Leslie...you ARE a shopper!! LOL

Good ideas, I was going to let Abbie know that Marlborough is about 40 minutes, by car, west of Boston. In case she wants that "downtown" experience.

I took a look at tomorrow's forecast and the Prudential might be a good idea if we need to keep warm!

As for those bags...fortunately my friend is coming for work and staying at the Four Seasons so we'll have a handy place to unload our goods before we "carry on" again...haha She's from Canada and we all know that for selection, shopping in the States just doesn't compare! I looked on a map to find out where the 4S is...wow, what a great location.

Have a great w/end Leslie!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:33 PM
Leslie

Just saw a commercial about shopping at Filene's on Saturday, 11/23. There's a 15% off all day pass available to use in most of the clothing departments (excluded are lines like Tommy Hilfiger) and 10% off in the jewelry department.

Ask a cashier for a pass, and if s/he won't give you one, go to the management office to get one. Otherwise pick up a Boston Globe or Boston Herald, as the coupons are usually in the newspaper.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:39 PM
Leslie

klam, I can be a super-shopper, but I work in Boston's financial district, so I know where the shops are. Also, I happen to live in Framingham, so I live in a shopping mecca, an area inundated with malls and traffic.

The Four Seasons is in an awesome location to drop off the shopping bags. If you have any energy left, although its a bit expensive, go over to Finale in the Park Plaza Building for dessert.

By the way the Filene's shopping coupon is good for all merchandise (except the exclusions), whether it is marked down, on sale, or at regular retail.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:40 PM
klam

Oooops, looks like I posted the same time as your second post to Abbie...I'd go with your estimated 45 mins.