Reload this Page >

Best place for BBQ ribs in Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 08:31 AM
Sabrina

Ok, everybody has an opinion about the best pizza in Chicago. What about BBQ ribs? My personal favorite is a little joint on the South Side called Lem's. What's yours?

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 08:45 AM
Dan

I think that Carson's is by far the best place for ribs. As a matter of fact it is the best place for ribs that I have ever had!

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 02:10 PM
Al

As they say, "It's Carson's For Ribs."
If you can't get in, try the Wabash Inn.
But the wait is worth it.

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 02:36 PM
Mtselinda

No ribs, including the ones I had in Memphis and Nashville, beat those I have every time I visit Chicago. The Gale Street Inn on Milwaukee Avenue near Lawrence. I find them better than Carsons.

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 06:42 PM
sarah

SmokeDaddy's. Can't remember where it is but it was really good. A real "joint," not a commercial place like Carson's.

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 05:34 AM
cleo

Here's a hidden surprise and believe me, we try ribs everywhere in the city. Try Armands in Elmwood Park, yes, it is an Italian place but the ribs blow Carson's away. Also, try Brother Jimmy's.

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 09:20 AM
lisa

I love Carson's!

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 12:29 PM
MJ Eraci

Another place that has good ribs is Twin Anchors bar in Old Town. It is a fun place and near downtown. Have fun.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 04:58 AM
Tchicaga

Forget all the others (except maybe Carson's if you can't get out of the city) -- THE ONLY place is Hecky's in Evanston at 1902 Green Bay Road. All you have to do is stand outside and smell it and you KNOW you've found the best place.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:37 AM
jamie

The Patio. Various locations.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Edye

Carson's, THE place for ribs. They have carry out too.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Tom

Twin Anchors in old town are the best.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Just Me

jamie: Really - The Patio???? - I'd rather stay home & eat my own cooking than go there!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:23 PM
kam

Another vote for Hecky's---one of the things I miss about not living in Evanston anymore.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:37 PM
kay

It's GOTTA be CARSONS!

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:44 PM
frankie

Twin Anchors hands down. Don't make me send the "family" after you if you disagree.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 01:37 PM
for

I'd have to go with Twin Anchors as well. Great, great ribs.

Is Hecky's in Evanston the same as Merle's?

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 02:11 PM
marilyn

No, Hecky's is carryout, on the corner of Green Bay and Emerson. Merle's is a sitdown place on Benson (I think) that features different styles of ribs with sauce and/or rubs, plus other downhome type food.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 03:43 PM
OldChicago

Sabrina, I haven't had them in years, but do you mean Leon's? Where is Lem's. Leon's were the best that I've ever eaten. I'm not sure if they are still in business. They had rib tips also. Everything was boxed with a slab of white bread on top. They were on the east side- somewhere South of Canaryville. We would take our lives in our hands to go get them. The sauce was brown/red, vinegar/grease based and hot! Much better than the thick, sweet generic tomato based sauces, i.e. Patio's. Meaty and the meat fell right off the bones. They weren't pre-cooked and deep fried either. That's how lots of places do it now. It's faster.
There are lots of good ribs in Chicago- but not a lot of great BBQ sauces like Leon's.