Reload this Page >

Moderate, fun Chicago restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:58 AM
jack

Since we're on a limited budget, can you suggest fun but moderate-inexpensive restaurants in downtown Chicago? Like a Fridays type atmosphere and price range? That of course are NOT Fridays but more unique to the Chicago area? Any old-fashioned diners? Great hot dog stands? You get the idea. Thanks guys.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Pat

jack: Ed Debevicks - I think I'm spelling it wrong, sorry.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:27 AM
jack

Thanks man, anyone else with ideas?

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:35 AM
dcp

1. Billy Goat INN (made famous by Ackroid and Belushi on SNL- chips, cheeseburger, Pepsi).
2. Rock-N-Roll McDonalds (truly a must see - not kidding)
3. I can't remember the name but there's a very famous German restraunt downtown that's over 100 yrs old - good and relatively inexpensive).

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:37 AM
kal

Gino's East Pizza, Billy Goat Tavern ("cheez-buggah, cheez-buggah cheeps-no fires!),Maggiano's, ESPNZone,Chicago Style Hot Dogs, Cheescake Factory, Redfish, Rock Bottom and a BBQ place on Navy Pier whose name slips my mind...to name a few.

Man! When's lunch?
Kal

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:37 AM
alex

The Berghoff?

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:39 AM
kal

dcp..Bergoff's?

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:39 AM
alex

Kal, you slipped in there while I was trying to guess the name of the german restaurant posted above. You are very quick today. I love the Rock Bottom - great food.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:40 AM
kal

Alex...Suuuuz tell you to beat me to the buzzer? hahahaha
Kal

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:41 AM
kal

Hula gal,
The carrot cake at Rock Bottom is KILLER!!!!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:43 AM
alex

Have you had the carrot cake at Gibson's - the best I have ever had!!!!! Better than chocolate!!!!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:49 AM
kal

Hula, Something better than CHOC????

Hey, chicago person. Where IS a good Chicago hot dawg place downtown?
We hit the Chicago Style place late one night and I recall it was good but it's like saying a "Lucky Dog" in New Orlean's Fr Qtr is good...after a few Hurricanes, Monsoons and Abita Turbo Dog Ales!

In 72 more days maybe you can show us? ha!

Oh.....for jack (if someone hasn't beat me to it)...Harry Carey's in the bar. Good dogs and other ball park food fare...Chili was good too.
Kal

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:54 AM
danna

Manny's Deli

Gino's - Pizza

Cafe BaBaReBa - tapas bar- on Halstead, I think

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:54 AM
alex

Well, I am a Superdawg gal myself, with living up on the northwest side, but some people really like Gold Coast dogs. And Fluky's which is in the Nordstrom's building up on the Mag Mile.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:57 AM
alex

I like Cafe Iberico (739 N. LaSalle) for tapas. Great sangria.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 10:00 AM
kal

I THINK Mrs Kal MAY know where Nordie's is in Chicago! ;-) She seems to be on a first name basis with Nordie shoe people nationwide!
But, whodda thunk to look in there for a dawg!?

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 10:04 AM
alex

As I sit here waiting for a delivery from nordstrom.com.....

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:20 AM
Pat

jack: Check out the restaurants in Greek Town! Fun and cheap! Parthenon and Roditys are just two. OPA!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:33 AM
cl9

Just though I'd throw my two cents in.
I went to both Bergoff and the Cheescake factory last summer.

Bergoff is relatively inexpensive, but I don't know that I'd call it fun. (And since we were staying on the Mag. mile it was a bit of a walk)
Although the Cheesecake factory was fun; I thought it was really rather expensive for the food/atmosphere (Its also a chain, as is Rock Bottom).
The most fun we had was at Bubba Gump Shrimp (sorry another chain) but that was out on the Pier.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Pat

I'd pick the Berghoff over Bubba Gump any day of the week! On Friday afternoons, enter at the bar, stand in line & get the best fish sandwich you've ever eaten. Belly up to the bar for either an icy beer (their own brand) or a frosty root beer. MMM MMM Good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -