Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best NYC ticket broker to get Wicked tickets last minute?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which companies are reputable, licensed brokers I can use for last minute NYC broadway tickets?

LIsa
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 09:04 PM

Skip the middle man & buy direct:

www.craigslist.com

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Gekko, what do you mean, "buy direct"? Craigslist is filled with brokerage firms touting their prices -- whether they are licensed and reputable, I'm not so sure. I recently checked there about Wicked tickets for someone who posted here, and there are hundreds of hits, but most of them all go back to the same ticket source -- charging up to $500 for good seats.
Meanwhile, I understand lisabee's concern for a "reputable, licensed broker" as no one wants to pay a couple of hundred bucks each for some tickets to find them not legitamate -- and that can happen with Craigslist as even they will warn.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use the service provided by BroadwayBox.com for sold out shows. Here's the link to their Wicked tickets. Good luck:

http://tinyurl.com/yzry8y
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 07:55 AM

From my extensive experience purchasing tickets on craigslist, it's quite simple to discern the retail vs. wholesale sellers.

How? Usually the posts say so, either directly or indirectly (the name of the website listed, the 800 number, etc.).

I recently purchased 2 La Boheme tickets on craigslist, Lincoln Center, from a lovely ladely who lived in a zillion dollar coop on Park Avenue.

Found her on ... www.craigslist.com

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Oh, I should have added, fraud with ticket brokers is common ... not fake tickets, but not the seats you paid for. The last time I used a broker, before I knew about craigslist, I bought 4 "3rd row tickets" to a concert at MSG ... but when the tickets arrived, they were 25th row, not center. After hours of calls and effort, I managed a 50% price reduction.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:10 AM

I don't mean to put down Craigslist. I sold two great tickets to Three Days of Rain with Julia Roberts on there myself at face value when the show was long sold out. The young girl and her fiance who came and picket them up were thrilled beyond belief. But after looking through all those Craigslist listings for Wicked I saw nothing to compare with the deals for last minute Wicked tickets on the link I gave.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:18 AM

www.applause-tickets.com
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Patrick that does look very good. So do you chose "buy tickets from secondary market"? Or buy full price tickets? Trying to figure out how you got to that list.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 09:09 AM

To get to that list, there is a box on the main Broadway Box page that says "Sold Out shows" and lists some shows including Wicked. Click on that and it brings you to the page I linked. I'm not sure what good it does to click on either "full price" which would take you to Ticketmaster or to click on "secondary market" which brings you right back to that page. Just click on the view and buy for tickets you like.
I should say I've never used that feature -- but would have no qualms to do so. I'm too organized and rarely have any need to buy last minute tickets as I usually arrive in New York with all my tickets ordered well ahead of time.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Scalpers are not licensed - in fact they're illegal in NYC ( since they charge prices higher than the minimal mark-up allowed).

If you can't get tickets at the theater's on-line site (and I would be amazed if you can at this point) - get tickets NOW - so they can overnight them to you at home- from whichever scalper has the best seats at the best price. (You don;t want to have to go to some bar in NYC to pick up the tickets - since scalpers can;t have offices in the city.)

We use stubhub.com since they seem to be slightly less outgrageous than some of the others.

Craig's list and ebay are other choices. With the first there are no controls and you take your chances - most are legit, a few not. With ebay you can see the seller's history to judge how reliable they are.