Search

Best Luau?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Luau?

Our upcoming trip to HI will include Oahu (Waikiki), Kauai (Lihue area), and Hawaii (Kona area). We are considering a Luau, since it's our first trip. Any particular suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
T. in FL
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM

beachtree, the nicest luau on the big island is at Kona Village resort. However, you didn't say when you are going because Kona Village is presently closed as a result of the tsunami. Unofficially they are looking to open shortly before May but that could change depending on the engineering report. I don't know if they will continue the luau while the resort is closed. The luau area was undamaged.

I was not a fan of the Royal Kona Luau show.

Enjoy.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Our visit is scheduled for the end of May/beginning of June. We will be on the Islands a total of 14 days! I had read reviews for the Smith's Luau on Kauai, and considered the Royal Luau at the Marriott on Hawaii. But, now I am wondering if any of them are worth the price? Is it just a "tourist" trap?

Thanks!
T. in FL
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 06:41 PM

I think the food and the entertainment was very good at Kona Village as it is very professional and respectful to hula. But the tourist trap issue is real and subjective. There is no doubt that all luau even Kona Village is a commericial venture and not everybody is wild about the price (over 100) nor the hula whether it be polynesian or hawaiian. I am sure others will reply and with that information and your own research you will make an informed decision.

Enjoy
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 08:21 PM

The "best luau" is subjective. I suggest you look at prices, drinks and food offered, and beachfront location. Kona Village was good for us, on all accounts.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 11:53 PM

Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC) on Oahu has by far the best luau venue in Hawaii.

Their evening show, Ha: Breath of Life is by far the beat Polynesian show in Hawaii.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Subjective--ah. We don't necessarily have to have Mai Tai's and other drinks. I suppose we would be looking for the "experience". Yes, they are quite pricey. Maybe our $$ would be better spent finding some great local restaurants.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I do think the luaus you mention are for "tourists" but I do not consider them a "trap". Unless you can get in with a local family or happen upon one at a local church, going to a luau will be somewhat "touristy".

That said I think it is a worth-while experience for a 1st trip. My only luau was on Maui (Old Lahaina) which was wonderful, but I don't know about the 3 islands you've asked about. I've heard nice things about Smith's.
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 11:50 AM

Beachtree, if you want to see what the Kona Village Resort lu'au is like, go to www.davidskvr.net and click on the lu'au page. (Feel free to look at the rest of the website while you're there--it's a comprehensive look at Kona Village.)
David
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 01:58 PM

I can't speak for the others, but we enjoyed Smiths family on Kauai. This was on our first visit to Hawaii. Not sure I would go again, but I wouldn't miss it once. Family run, you are greeted by multiple generations of family. There is a little golf cart type tour of their grounds, very pretty. The imu ceremony is really interesting. I was pleasantly suprised by the food, and enjoyed the dancing/performances too. I think kids would like it: fire, knife dancing, etc.

I envy your trip, enjoy!
Old Mar 16th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Smith's also offers show-only tickets. So if your main interest isn't the food or you're looking for a cheaper option, tickets for the entertainment portion are only $15 for adults and $7.50 for kids. I've never attended, so can't recommend personally, but I think it's nice they offer this option.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! I will look at the Kona village link. And, maybe Smith's on Kauai could tie in with some local food for dinner, prior to the show. On Kauai, we will be with another family who definitely wants to Luau! Maybe we could meet up with them there!?
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Sad to say, but Kona Village Lu'au is no more. Kona Village has closed for an indefinite time, certainly a year, possibly more, possibly forever. How it grieves me to say it!
David
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 06:22 PM

While Kona Village is no more, Ihave a feeling that the hula show will be hired by another resort. At least I hope.

Bill
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 10:27 AM

Luaus take a lot of your valuable vacation time! If you take one in, just do one. There's no need to do one on each island. That being said, if you decide to do it on Oahu, Polynesian Cultural Center is the best one on the island. It's more expensive, but the food is exponentially better and the Ha show is classier than the normal luau shows.

If you decide you want something less....immersed?...try Paradise Cove.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

So, I guess the Kona Luau option has closed. Hmmm. I think I like the entertainment idea of Smith's with dinner elsewhere.

MelissaHI: I have heard mixed reviews on the Polynesian Cultural Ctr. Is it worth a day trip? We will only be on Oahu 3 full days. We plan to visit Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, and the Swap Meet. Thanks for your opinion.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 01:51 AM

Hmmm that's a tough one. With only 3 days on Oahu, you take a LOT of precious drive time going out to PCC. It's 1.5 hours from Waikiki to PCC. Then again, it's 45-60 minutes from Waikiki to any other luau.

I wish I could be more definitive about whether it's worth the day trip or not. 3 hours just traveling is quite a lot, though!!
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 03:12 AM

Check schedules for where/when you will be visiting; many wonderful nonprofessional (authentic) shows, contests, recitals, etc., happen all the time (without the orgy of food and the tourist trap prices).
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 03:55 PM

Sylvia, are any of those close to Waikiki? And where can I check schedules?
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 10:16 AM

We went to PCC one week ago. It was the highlight of the trip for my daughter. I liked the exposure to some many different island cultures. I thought it was worth the time and the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -