Best Luau??

Nov 27th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Best Luau??

It's 10 below and snowing here in "Southern" Alberta - but I can handle it cause we're Kauai bound in six weeks!!! We have enjoyed Luau's in our past visits to this great Island....any ideas as to which one is the best (currently)??
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Speaking as a resident of Kaua`i, #1 commercial lu`au is Smith's, in Wailua.

But since you'll be on-island for awhile, also check the local papers for any lu`au held as a fundraiser by a canoe club, school, church, etc. These are the REAL ones! 8-)
Nov 28th, 2007, 02:52 PM

that's a great idea. our hula halau is having a beerfest (not a real beer tasting event, just beer) in Jan 08. there's pupus, live music and entertainment. it's 25/pp, if interested, i'll email a flyer.

i guess the question is when you were here, which luau did you enjoy best?

have fun and enjoy your trip
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:35 AM

kauai_aka:

Please email me details of your event, so we can announce it on KKCR, 'kay?
Nov 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM

auntie, that would be awesome. a huge mahalo to you. stdby to stdby. and i hope you can grace us with your presence, i know people from northshore have that look of dread when asked to cross the bridge.
Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kauai_aka...and thank you for that information. We attended Smith's when last on the Island and very much enjoyed it - just looking for something different. Would quite enjoy getting the additional information on the "beer luau"??? Actually, this sounds like a great idea....if you would, please email the flyer to [email protected] and mahalo...
Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:41 PM

thanks for the addresses, we're still working on venue but now it looks like lihue. i'll email when i get more info. will see you there hopefully...
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:37 AM

We will be in HI from January 1-13. We are interested in attending a local cultural event, possibly a luau, sponsored by a church, non profit group, etc. We are really not interested in attending any large commercial venues targeted for tourists.

Our children who will be with us are 20 and 25. So we are not interested in events that are primarily child-orientated.

We will be near Volcanos National Park from Jan. 3-5 and on Kauai from Jan. 5-10

Any suggestions on local events during this time period? Thanks!