Luaus on Maui and Kauai

Search

Luaus on Maui and Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luaus on Maui and Kauai

We are planning our honeymoon, and can't decide between Old Lahaina or Feast at Lele on Maui. Which do you prefer, and why?

Also, if we do a luau on Maui, should we also do one on Kauai? I haven't many raves about any of the luaus there, but if you like one, please recommend.

thank you!
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:28 AM

Pretty much, if you've seen one professional lu`au in the islands, you've seen them all. But if you see a notice in the local newspaper about a local lu`au -- one given by a community group or church or school -- by all means, go! Then you'll know what a "real" lu`au offers (and you'll be supporting the non-profit organization which is staging the event).
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 09:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Old Lahaina Luau was a wonderful experience. I went with my family group to celebrate my folks 50th. I think Feast of Lele (I have not been) might be more intimate and romantic so better for a honeymoon.

As mentioned above, definitely keep your eyes open for all kinds of true local music and dance as well.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:09 AM

my parents just did Feast at Lele and 'Loved' it.

They are somewhat picky but not over the top. they thought it was wonderful, and it is not buffet. The drinks were total open bar, whatever you want and as much as you want. The food was really good they said and the entertainment great.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM

Definitely Feast at Lele. If you do plan on going, book now. Their seating is arranged by how early you book. The earlier you book the closer you'll be to the front of the stage. It's a very small luau so you won't have to worry too much if you are seated in the back.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:19 PM

Regarding Kauai, during the 1st week of April, I was pretty convinced from everything that I heard and read, that Smith's was the place to go for a Luau. But when I tried to book it, they turned me down, they were full, and suggested we book a week in advance, not just 2-3 days, so be aware of this. We had been to many luaus before, and had lots to do, so then passed on this trip. Mind you, as we were staying at the Marriott Courtyard at Kapaa, we would hear the carrying on at the Luau right next door (Coconut Beach Luau), and from the noise, I would have to guess that people were having a great time there!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:43 PM

My wife and I loved the Feast at Lele. I think we just liked being waited on (vs. buffet style), sitting behind a table with a nice white tablecloth and adorned with flowers. We were seated on the side so we weren't right next to any other people. Very romantic as the sun goes down behind the performers. Unique foods I may never be able to try again. I'm glad I spent the money- a wonderful evening.