Amtrak to Washington DC?

Search

Amtrak to Washington DC?

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amtrak to Washington DC?

We would like to take a train from Wilmington Del. to Union Station, then take a cab to our hotel in Georgetown. There seems to be a variety of trains to take. Has anyone had any experience going to DC on the train? Any problems with delays and which would be the best train to take--regional..Carolinian? We're not taking much luggage and would like to leave in the morning. Thanks for any help.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:46 AM

It really doesn't matter which train you take. I would choose entirely based on price and convenience of departure time. They all use the same tracks and will be subject to the same delays, if any.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:09 PM

I agree with Anonymous. I won't pay extra for Acela (or Metroliner, which I guess is back in service due to brake snafu) ... it's such a short ride anyway that I can "live" with less luxurious cars.

If you want to experience sit-down dining on the train, get one of the NY-FL trains -- not that it's any great thrill. Are you returning by train as well? If so, you may wish to ride a train that originates at DC ... the ones continueing from south will be already filled with riders; you'll get better seat choices on a train just starting its route.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 02:08 PM

Take a "Regional Service" train. The Metroliner cost twice as much and only saves you 14 minutes!!

Buy the tickets ahead of time, online (because all the trains are "reserved", they CAN sell out). You can then pick the tickets up at the machines in the station.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:13 PM

Definitely take one of the regional trains -- the NY-FL ones are much more likely to be late (sometimes hours late.) From Wilmington to DC doesnt really give you all that much time to sit down and eat, anyway. I ride the NE corridor route on the regional trains every week, and the on-time performance has been pretty good lately (knock on wood.) I've had to go by Metroliner once since the Acelas were pulled, and I agree, it's not really worth the difference. Rbtraveler is right, when you go back, take a train that originates in D.C. -- less crowded at the start.