Search

Maui or Kauai Luau

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui or Kauai Luau

I know that there are many forums on luau's, but many are old. Therefore, I am writing for help. Are there any luau's in Maui or Kauai that are not typical tourist venues with the same buffet, long lines, etc.? I gave a luau on the beach in Florida a few years ago for 100 people, with firedancers, etc., however, it was not Hawaii. Everyone says we MUST attend a luau in Hawaii. Is there one really worth paying $100.00+ pp to see? I appreciate your input.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 07:55 AM

I went to one luau in my 25+ trips to Hawaii, that one was on my 2nd visit. I have NO desire to go to another. The only one I hear is worth going to is the one next to Aloha Mixed Plate on Front street in Lahaina. If you sit in the lower section of Aloha Mixed plate at 7ish, you can watch some of it. The Cannery behind it has some small Hula shows for free too.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Although we enjoyed the Old Lahaina Luau many years ago, it is not something we would ever do again. However, if you happen to be on island for a local luau fundraiser, as we were for the Canoo Club in Hanalei, it is well worth the time to hang local and partake with the community.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Oh and check the highend hotel lounge schedules. For the price of a cocktail I have seen fantastic performances at Princeville Resort (if it has reopened) and 4S Maui
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Yes, Princeville will be reopened when we go in August. I can save $200 and go for a great meal instead.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 09:13 AM

I really think you have to know yourself....do you like things like this in general? For me, I would no more like a luau than I would want a "lei greeting"....I am simply not into kitschy touristy stuff (I stopped to watch a Hawaiian dance display in Waikiki once and at the little shopping center across from Poipu Beach, and that was fine - enjoyable, short and free). But loads of people love it.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 09:15 AM

We did the old Lahaina Luau and enjoyed it, but once is enough for us.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 10:46 AM

I'm enjoying this thread. I have never had any desire to do one, but over and over again here I've read that you simply MUST do one and many posts about the FANTASTIC LUAU not to miss. I was sort of getting talked into the whole idea, but I can imagine a lot of ways I think I'd rather spend that money. This thread is the first fairly negative one I've seen on the subject. I do sort of like the idea of finding a local charity one though perhaps.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

I like the lei idea, but having already hosted a "luau" on the beach in Florida with the firedancers, I have to go with my gut that each of the luau's in Maui or Kauai are the "tourist trap" for dinner. I like the idea of a good dinner instead and maybe catch a free show someplace. They say the liquor is included, but I do believe you are paying for it. It seems that all of the menus are identical also at the different luaus. If you know of a fabulous restaurant, let me know please. And, again, thanks so much.