Best Italian Restaurant in Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to figure out where to go for a great, high end Italian meal in Chicago. We are staying at the Peninsula, so it would be great if we could find something somewhat close by. I've looked at Spiaggia, but that seems to get mixed reviews. Also, I don't love the jacket required part- we dress nicely, but my H usually likes to wear a nice pair of pants and a dress shirt rather than a jacket, esp. in the summer. Looking for a place worthy of a Saturday night reservation
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Spiaggia is far and away my favorite high-end Italian restaurant. I've never had anything approaching the food here anywhere else in the city. The space and service are beautiful as well. Many really high-end places in Chicago will require a jacket, and some a tie as well.

Two nice Italian restaurants--not in the same league as Spiaggia in my book but nice--are Coco Pazzo, in River North, and Vivere, the upscale dining room in the venerable old Loop favorite, the Italian Village.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 09:39 AM

I'd add to that list Bice on Ontario just east of Michigan, and Volare on St. Clair and Grand. Also, for red-sauce Italian, La Scarola on Grand and Halsted.

YMMV,
Racy
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 04:31 AM

Mia Francesca...mmmmmmmm

Cafe Luciano....is it still there? on Rush I think?
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone- especially chicgal who is always so helpful! I think we will stick with spiaggia- it sounds like just what we were looking for and my H can just wear a jacket that evening. Can't wait to get to Chicago!
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:56 AM

if you really want an authentic italian meal, you should try the little italy area on taylor street. it's a cab ride from the hotel but tuscany, rosebud, and francesca's are all in the neighborhood plus many others. also, for a treat (not high-end) but mario's for fresh italian ice on taylor street can't be beat! you pick the fresh ingredients, they grind it for you. doesn't get much better than that!
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 10:09 AM

I'll second Bice and Vivere and add 312 Chicago in Hotel Allegro.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:59 PM

I agree with middyb regarding the authentic-ness.

I only went to Bice one time so I am not an expert on Bice, but I didn't care for it at all.

I lived in Chicago from 1992-2001, so I haven't been in Chicago for 3 years...I was wondering if Luciano's is still there. Near water tower, on Rush street I think. I loved that place and now that I am living in Italy, Luciano's seems the most authentic to me for Italian food found in America. I went to Maggiano's in Tampa when I was home in the States last Christmas, and boy, italian food is different in the States than here in Italy!
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 03:51 PM

Cafe Luciano is still there on Rush St., we ate there earlier this summer. The food was fine but when I want a good Italian meal I head to Little Italy to Rosebud. I don't think that's what the original poster is looking for however, it's not "fine dining" nor is Cafe Luciano which is casual and rather loud as it's in the central tourist area and always crowded.

Spiaggia, which has been suggested, is one of the top ranked restaurants in the city, always ends up in the top 10.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Spiaggia is a great restaurant, but on a Saturday night, it's a mob scene. A much better choice is their Cafe Spiaggia, right next door, which is much more quiet and every bit as good. But even with reservations, I've waited as much as two hours at the Spiaggia bar, for even Cafe Spiaggia.

An alternate suggest is Pane Caldo at 72 East Walton, just around the corner. Very sophisicated, expensive, and wonderful fare.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 08:19 AM

Another suggestion: Folia on West Fulton Market-very hip setting, intimate space and outstandingly fresh food. They "imported" their pizza maker from Naples just for this restaurant and it's outstanding.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 12:21 PM

I would also recommend Pane Caldo. It is close to your hotel and very good. Ask for the table for 2 in the window. My favorite Italian in Chicago is Francesca's. There is one on Taylor Street and one on Clark near Wrigley Field - you would need to take a cab but it is worth it.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:02 PM
JJ5

I do believe that they have added a third on Lagrange Rd.(135th St.) in Orland Park- Mia Francesca.

It's excellent too. Long lines at times and it's only about a year old. We have been getting quite a few higher end restaurants in Southwest suburbs of Chicago lately. I have heard that Rosebud is going to come in with primary chef in Tinley Park soon- near 159th & Harlem. Hope it's true.

My favorite was Febo's (26th and Western) and I miss it. Their saying was "famous for nothing." They had the best veal dishes that I have ever had. When my kids were young we used to drive there for birthdays. All are in the winter and we have some tales to tell about parking with snow drifts and the Chicago tradition of keeping a place open by putting your lawn furniture or whatever there. After a hour ride in traffic, we would circle. Kids would be outside car "drop offs" and be our look outs- standing in an exposed spot until we could get there.
Not high end at any time, but just as good as Francesca is now at about a tenth of the price.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:55 AM

JJ5, there is a Francesca's out south, actually in Palos Park. That is my new favorite location since it is so close. I think this was their 12 restaurant. They are opening one also in Frankfort this fall (Oct, I think). Good news about Rosebud but still like Francesca's better. We need a Tuscany out south - that is my next favorite.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 10:45 AM

JJ5 and cerlaurie-I'm also a south suburbanite! La Dolce Vita is opening in Frankfort and the early rumor is that it's outstanding...time will tell..
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Are any of these northern Italian or are they mostly central/southern Italian cooking? I am a huge fan of northern Italian cuisine (risotto, grilled dishes). I would love to find a good Italian restaurant in Chicago that has a strong northern Italian focus.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Your best bet may be Bice for Northern Italian cuisine.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:25 AM

SOrry, I hit enter too soon. Bice has excellent risottos and seafood. Many of the others mentioned are Tuscan or southern Italian.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:12 PM
JJ5

You are right about Mia Francesca- it's very close to the line where Orland PK and Palos PK meet and I thought that was Orland at that point.

Not just Italian but lots of offerings are increasing in Frankfort (Japanese too, especially) that is SUPER for me. I am in Will County and anything in Frankfort would be 5 minutes away if you stay off of LaGrange Rd. (LOL I can remember when I built my first house in T.Park you could look down from 159th St. toward the south and see nothing for about 35 blocks. 1987)

If you go onto metromix.com you can see which downtown etc. restaurants feature Northern Italian. I think the one mentioned on this thread at the Italian Village, Vivere, is Northern. But on the whole, many higher end/downtown location are primarily Northern with tons of seafood, pesto dishes and risotto (Liguria)dishes.

I will try La Dolce Vita soon. I have a friend that was very distressed at Biaggio's closing. It was not my favorite but was good on some dishes.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Where will La Dolce Vita be in Frankfort? I read about it in the paper a couple of months ago and haven't heard anything since. Do you know when it is expected to open? I also liked Biaggio. I haven't tried Veranda yet but was surprised to hear many people like it. It is owned by the Patio (BBQ place) so my expectations weren't high. I also just saw Tin Fish is opening a location in Oak Brook which is good news. We love the one in Tinley.