Good casual Italian restaurant in Chicago?

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good casual Italian restaurant in Chicago?

I'm looking for a good traditional Italian restaurant in Chicago that I can go to w/my family (dh & 2 young children). I don't want to go to a chain and would love it if it is the italian area of the city (does this exist? like the North End in Boston). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:29 PM

Taylor St. is Little Italy. It's a little south west of the Loop but not much. On Taylor I would recommend Tuscany (a local restaurant with 4 or 5 locations,)La Vita or Francescas. A lot of people like Rosebud but I'm not a fan. Also for counter service but good food, Pompeii at the west end of Taylor. There is also an Italian area in Bridgeport, near Cellular Field, but I don't know the restaurants as well, maybe someone else does? here are a few links:
http://www.stefanirestaurants.com/tuscany.htm

http://www.lavitarestaurant.com/

http://www.miafrancesca.com/

http://www.littleitalychicago.com/hi...italy_03.shtml
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:31 PM

Yes, Chicago has a "Little Italy" area near the campus of the University of Illinois Chicago. A Chicago institution is Tufano's Vernon Park Tap. It's very casual but can get crowded and noisy, especially before Bulls/Hawks games. Although it is a "mini" chain (there are four or five restuarants in the Chicagoland area, we've always enjoyed Rosebud, the original location is in Little Italy on Roosevelt road. Outside of that neighborhood, there are many Italian restaurants both traditional Chicago style places and more authentic trattorie and osterie type places. Dinotto on North Avenue is excellent.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:07 AM

I agree with prior posters about the Taylor Street restaurants (with my personal favorite being Francesca's, followed by Tuscany).

If you are staying downtown and don't want to venture to Taylor Street (which is a couple miles from the loop), you may also want to consider The Village at the Italian Village (71 W Monroe - right in the loop). This is a Chicago institution. There are three Italian Village Restaurants - each on a separate floor, with The Village being the least expensive and best for families. La Cantina is the mid-range restaurant and has a lot of seafood. For fine dining, there is Vivere.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:53 AM
JJ5

The local newspapers had a small read on this, just this last weekend. It detailed that Taylor St. is almost entirely Northern Italian. Check with metromix.com under Italian for reviews.

It also stated that another lesser known Italian area has developed in Bridgeport neighborhood. This is mainly Southern Italian cusisine.

There are many Italian downtown Chicago choices also and some are much more casual than others, so the reviews are nice to read before you make your choice. Your Chicago hotel location might be a factor. We happen to love some in the Western burbs too. There is a thread on Fodors from last year that would detail many other choices. Do a search with "best Italian Chicago". The Taylor St. neighborhood is not very large any longer. It is not like North End, for instance. When they built the University of Illinois, Chicago- it was developed as campus, and there is very little left, compared to what existed before that era.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Can't believe I forgot one of my favorites...Il Vicinato on 24th and Western. There are also several other very good Italian restaurants within a block. Not sure what this neighborhood is called, but it is about 15 minutes away from downtown (depending upon traffic!).
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

We're actually planning on staying outside of the city at a Residence Inn (can't beat the two bedrooms w/kids) - there is one in the city but it's more expensive. I'm considering a couple - Lombard, Glen Ellyn/Schaumburg and Oakbrook. Any thoughts on these areas? I guess it doesn't matter much as we will probably be spending most of time in the city and the hotel will just be sleeping. However if any of the Italian Restaurants suggested have location near any of the hotel locations mentioned, I would love to have that info! Thanks!!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:54 AM

There is a Tuscany location in Oakbrook right across from the mall on 22nd St.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 11:11 AM
JJ5

My old favorite was at 26th & Western, (Febo's)and there are still numerous in that area (as LauraT's). They are all definitely more casual, and not like the fine dining (Spaggia etc.) swalter518's links above and www.metromix.com will tell you more.

If you are staying in the Western suburbs (Oakbrook ie.) you may not want to make the extra trip to Bridgeport or Taylor St. You will probably be on the Stevenson or connections enough as it is- so you may want to hit Western burbs area for Italian. That's another area that I believe has many good Italian choices, and might be easier logistics. Downer's Grove, Oakbrook, Westmont, Lagrange all have casual and good for kids? Anyone have a favorite around there for snowrooster?

IMHO I would not want to be driving from Schaumburg or Lombard each day, just because of the time ratio it will take you. Oakbrook area, if you have never been, is very developed with hugely laned highway streets, with many good stores, mall, etc. And you would not be very far from Brookfield Zoo.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 11:37 AM

The lesser known Italian neighborhood that's being referred to is the Heart of Italy, Oakley and 24th. It's isolated and not easy to get to, especially for someone not familar with the city. Taylor St. is more accesible and has more restaurants but it's not an area that people typically wander around though, most people just go there to eat.

Here's a website with information on Chicago Italian neighborhoods.

http://www.littleitalychicago.com/

If you stay outside of the city and are driving, be aware that travel times can be very bad during rush hour and if the weather is bad. Oakbrook is a straight shot into the city on 290, lots of restaurants (mostly national chains or local chains ie Tuscany, Wildfire, Mon Ami Gabi, etc.) and shopping. In good traffic it's about a 1/2 hour, bad traffic can double that.

Schaumburg is even further out than Oakbrook so I wouldn't advise staying that far out if you plan on spending your time in the city. Once again there are lots of restaurants (national and local chains), a large mall (Woodfield) and an IKEA.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:35 PM

This is not about a restaurant, but about staying in the suburbs. Check out

Metrarail.com

for info on the commuter trains. It could be easier than driving into the city. There is a station in Lombard as well as Schaumburg. You can park all day and night (but not overnight) for a dollar. On Sat./Sun. you can buy a weekend pass for $5 and use it all you want both days. Also, kids under a certain age ride free.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:42 PM

If you stay in Lombard or Oakbrook you might want to consider del Debbio's on Ogden in Lisle. Casual (we always wear jeans), family owned Italian with wonderful specials. We consider it on the expensive side (entrees on their special menu usually average about $16, one Saturday night the average was closer to $20). Their regular menu is less expensive and very traditional. The service is very friendly but tends to be slow. If you're going to order an appetizer and dessert, plan to be there at least a couple of hours, which could be a factor with young kids tho' we often see young children there (ours are 19 and 15). But, bottom line, their food really is excellent.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:52 PM

I live very near Oakbrook. There are some good italian restaurants in the area including the Tuscany outpost on 22nd Street mentioned by an earlier poster. There is also a Pompei on 22nd as well. Love their meatballs! They are enormous and so good. I like Tuscany as well. There is also a Francesca's in Elmhurst which is close to Oakbrook as well.

Oakbrook has a huge mall and you can literally drive up and down 22nd street and shop and eat all day.

You could also try parking in Westmont or Hinsdale or Clarendon Hills and taking the train in one day but parking can be tricky, pay attention to the signs or pop for a cab to the train station. Hinsdale is an upscale community that has nice shops and a few restaurants including a great very casual place for kids called Zingelman's .
Downtown, you've got good recommendations. I always recommend Metromix.com as a good resource to any one coming to Chicago. It covers entertainment, restaurants, the museums, everything.

Have a great time in our great city!