Best Hotel Area in Midtown NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again I need some help in deciding the best city area to stay a Week this summer in NYC between the following locations of Distrikt and Carlton hotels.

I am looking for a good location near the public transportation to move around the city either by bus, subway or walking; location is key to make a wise decision to enjoy the city as NYers do.

I will be there with a 7-years-daughter and my wife.

The areas to chose are:

Distrikt Hotel
342 West 40th Street, New York City, NY 10018

Carlton Hotel, Autograph Collection
88 Madison Avenue, New York City, NY 10016

Thanks a lot.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Just about every hotel in Manhattan is near public transportation. Besides that it is a walkable city filled with cabs.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 11:46 AM

These are both close to the subway, though they are close to different lines. The Carlton is close to the 6 (the local subway on the east side, which allows you to change trains most easily at Union Square (for anyplace downtown) and Grand Central (for the west).

The choice between these hotels is not about location. They are both well located. I only know the Carlton, and it's a nice hotel. I don't know anything about the Distrikt.

The question is what you plan to do and where you plan to go. If it's strictly a theater weekend, I'd choose the hotel closer to Times Square. But the Distrikt is further from the subway by an Avenue.

The hotels are almost equidistant from Shake Shack, though different locations.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 01:23 PM

In my opinion, the Carlton is located in a much more pleasant, more interesting, more happening, and less grungy area. It is farther from Times Square and the Theater District. I tend to consider that a good thing, but many visitors like to spend a lot of time in those places, and you might prefer the Distrikt for that reason.

I don't know anything about the hotels themselves.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Our plans are more focused on the location that be closer enough from a transportation station, near of places to eat and see, walk around. We expect to be out and touristing most of the time. The hotel is going to be decided by its convenient location and price. Thanks again.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi Doug Stalling, I'm sorry by my ignorance, what Shake Shak is? Thanks
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 04:20 PM

Know noting about the Distrikt hotel - which may be new - except the location is awfully close to th entrance to the Lincon Tunnerl and Port Authority. Not a great neighborhood.'

Went to tripadvisor to check out some reviews and was unhappy to see that they are all 5* and people were calling it the best hotel in the world. IMHO - it does seem to be a bargain - but the reviews were all so overfulsome that I can only assume they are fake. (And all seem to be responded to by a staffer who does nothing but track and respond to the reviews.)

It may be a great deal. But I would be very hesitant to take it at its face value.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Doug, The plans do not include theather this time. we are going to visit Central Park, 5th Avenue stores, Rockefeller Center , MET, brooklying bridge, China Town, Macy's fire works, etc. We just need a nice place and easy to move using subway and walking. Thanks a lot.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi Doug, I agree with you. I do not understand why TA rates Distrikt hotel very well. That's one of the reasons becouse I am trying to figure out this hotel vs Carlton. Their prices are quite simiar . Regards
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 05:37 PM

Saldarj, Shake Shack is a chain of fast food restaurants that sell hamburgers and milk shakes that are somewhat better than those served at places like McDonald's and Burger King. The original location began as a hot dog stand in Madison Square Park, which is near the Carlton Hotel. It was extremely popular. People would often wait in line for an hour or more to get a hamburger there, for reasons that became unfathomable to me when I eventually tried their food at the Upper East Side location, where the lines weren't as long. Now there are locations all around New York, up and down the East Coast, and in Kuwait and Dubai.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Hawkskill, I will include Shake shak into my food plans. What other nice places do you recommend me to go for eating like this one?. Thanks for your information.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 07:09 PM

We had Shake Shack on 86th Street the other day and do not understand the charm of the burger. The shake was exceptional.
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 07:42 PM

Yeah, I don't get the burgers either. But I also was not moved by the four different shakes I've tried. They're clearly superior to the shakes one would get at, say, McDonalds, which I think don't even contain any actual dairy products, and very little actual food material at all. But in my minority opinion, any decent destination-type ice cream shop should be able to produce a better shake than Shake Shack.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 05:32 AM

If you stay at the Carlton, Eataly, a large Italian market, which has both restaurants and prepared food as well as gelato, a coffee bar, etc. is fairly close by at 5th Ave/23rd St. (a 10-minute walk).

You'll notice that the Carlton itself, on Madison, doesn't seem to have much close by except for a taco place and a couple of deli/convenience stores.

However, there are myriad restaurants on Park Avenue and around including a great barbecue place (Hill Country as well as Hill Country Fried Chicken, which serves nothing else but that and pie; Blue Smoke, which is a bit more upscale, is between Lex and Park), and if you walk two blocks further east, you'll find a huge line-up of Indian restaurants on Lexington. One block further east puts you on Third Avenue, which has a huge line-up of neighborhood restaurants, including Bistango at 29th/3rd Ave., which is one of my favorite Italian restaurants.

There are drug stores and a full grocery store nearby on Park as well.

The closest subway is at 28th Street. Go west for the N/R trains, which go up and down Broadway, or east for the 6 train, which goes up to Grand Central and Upper East Side and down to the Battery. Since the hotel is almost in between these two subway lines, it's pretty convenient to both the east and west sides. I think you'll find it a good choice.
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 07:08 AM

I hardly ever eat burgers these days, but for a first time visitor to the US who has never had one, I WOULD suggest it. And Shake Shack's are better than most places.

I also like the Carlton neighborhood a little better than the Distrikt.