Best Cambria/ Hearst Castle Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much struggling with itinerary, I decided to give up the Madonna Inn and stay in a hotel closer to Cambria so I'd have more time to see Hearst Castle. But I have no idea what hotel to stay at now! It's my husband and I, and we're staying for one night only before continuing our drive up the coast. We're REALLY not B&B kinds of people...we like our privacy and don't like to feel watched. But it seems like the only places around there are very small hotels.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 09:13 AM

Hi. My husband and I (no, I'm not the Queen of England) just got back from a California road trip and stayed one night in Cambria and then went on to the Hearst Castle (was really quite unbelievable ... the outdoor pool is killer).

We stayed at The Sand Pebbles. It is one of about 4 or 5 related "Inns". The Fog Catcher Inn was another that was right next door. It was perfect for us and not a B&B type place.

We ate right next door at an Oyster and Seafood restaurant. I had a dozen raw oysters for US$10. Pretty good price considering I had a dozen in Vancouver, BC a month ago for CDN$34!!!
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 08:28 PM

Does anyone have an update on this? We will be traveling in August and would like a nice, moderately priced hotel near Hearst , with a balcony. Could be as far away as Morro Bay.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 08:34 PM

For moderate I would check out sspines.com

For more luxurious, Pelican Suites.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:18 AM

For our trip this summer I booked our family of 4 into the Best Western Fireside Inn in Cambria. We are spending the night there before we head to the Hearst Castle the next morning.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 03:32 AM

What have you heard about the Best Western ?????
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:31 AM

Please do not stay at the Best Western in Cambria. We made that horrible mistake about 10 yrs. ago. Back then we paid $75 per night and the room was filthy. The carpets were so dirty that we didn't even want to walk barefoot. The sheets and pillow cases had brown stains on them. To the motel's credit, they did promptly change the linens when I asked them to do so.

The problem with Best Westerns is that they are individually owned and operated and you never know what the quality will be like. My advice if you decide to stay there would be to inspect the room before accepting it.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Yikes! I have reservations there! Do you know if they changed ownership since you were last there? I checked a review on "Trip Advisor" and it was favorable and the review was from April of this year. Has anyone else had any recent experience with this hotel (the Best Western Fireside Inn in Cambria) Any other recommendations? Since we are traveling with our kids we are not interested in Bed & Breakfast establishments.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 01:03 PM

We stayed at the Best Western Fireside Inn last year over the 4th of July weekend. It was just wonderful, so I would have no qualms about returning. Sounds like it was kind of a mess 10 years ago, but not now! It's right across the beach and easy access to the boardwalks along the ocean. We also really liked the "Moonstone Beach Inn" for dinner (I think that was the name), just a short walk from the hotel.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:03 PM

What's the big fuss about the hearst castle anyway? We were just there and for the two hour tour you get to see two rooms and the pools. A lot of time is spent just hanging out in different locations and talking with the tour guide. Not something I'd ever do again.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:30 AM

I am not sure which attraction I have heard more opposing views about, Hearst Castle or Alcatraz! We loved Hearst Castle, even our daughter who was 9 at the time. Georgous place and an awe inspiring achievement for when it was built. Opposingly, on our upcoming trip to San Fran, we decided to skip Alcatraz after weighing in the pros and cons. It is hard to decide what you will like based on other peoples opinions, especially the opinion of a stranger!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:01 AM

Thanks Joesource for the tip on St.Simeon Pines. I have reservations there for mid August. Good rate and a friendly, helpful reservatonist. Am looking forward to the trip and the Hearst tours.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:15 AM

We just returned from Cambria and stayed at The Cypress Cove Inn on Moonstone Beach. We had a lovely room overlooking the ocean. We had dinner at the Sea Chest Inn - great fresh fish and oysters. Enjoyed tour 1 and 2 at Hearst Castle - the outdoor pool and gardens are beautiful.