luxury accommodations near Hearst Castle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 06:40 AM
elaine

Hi
I'm inquiring for friends who will be marking a special occasion.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
They will be driving from LA, want to stay near Hearst Castle at a top-drawer place.
thanks

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Barbara

It's in the middle of nowhere. We stayed at a Holiday Inn a few miles from the place. Camberia is close. There are a number of motels, some style themselves as quasi bread and breakfest. We stayed at the Moon Stone Inn or something like that, we were disappointed, based on the price we paid.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 07:12 AM
elaine

How about, within 30 miles of Hearst Castle?

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 08:29 AM
My Story

Have stayed at -- and enjoyed -- the Best Western Cavalier Oceanfront Resort. It's about five miles from Hearst. You can check it out at bestwestern.com, then clicking to the U.S., then California, then San Simeon.

I know this might not be considered "top-drawer" but an ocean-front room has its own merits.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 09:35 AM
xxx

Definitely stay in Cambria vs. San Simeon.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Kim

Elaine - The Best Western Cavalier Oceanfront Resort is NOT a top-drawer place. Altough being on the beach was nice, we were digusted with the accomodations. Air conditioning was not working properly, poor condition of sheets, etc. We were also confronted on the beach by some shady characters. I actually didn't feel safe after that. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions but I figured I would let you know being that it was suggested.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Vicki

Okay, we did this last summer. No question about it,you need to stay at the Blue Whale Inn (Bed and Breakfast) on Moonstone Beach in Cambria. We paid about $200 per night and it was very, very nice. There are only six rooms. The rooms have hardwood floors and are nice size with a sofa, desk, canopy bed, and fireplace (which you will need even in July). You will have a down comforter and triple sheeting with terry bathrobes and fresh flowers. They greet you with wine and cheese on arrival and the breakfast was delicious. They made dinner reservations for us at the Sow's Ear. I can't wait to go back !! Do not get this place confused with the Blue Dolphin Inn which is nearby. The phone number is 805-927-4647 and the Inn keepers are Jay and Karen. The also have a website. I would advise making reservations for tickets at Hearst Castle. We reserved tickets for 12:30. By the time we finished the tour it was check in time at the Inn and we relaxed with wine and cheese then took a walk on the beach.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Royd

I'd like to suggest the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. They offer 109 outrageously unique rooms that are based on various themes with no two alike. You can visit their web site at madonnainn.com. SLO is about a 45 minute drive away from Hearst Castle.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 10:17 PM
xxx

Madonna Inn is a fun place to stay for a special evening. Each room has a different theme. I've known 2 couples who both got engaged at this hotel. One couple goes back each anniversary and stays in a new room.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 03:47 AM
LaurieH

Since they are driving up from LA, have they considered breaking up the trip with an overnight either in Santa Barbara or Montecito? Both offer lots of first class accomodations and food, and we've driven up to Hearst from S.B. several times...not short, but not unbearable, either.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 04:03 AM
My Story

I, too, thought the Madonna Inn was a really fun place to stay. (You'll never forget it.) But beware: mention of it on this site will bring out the snobs.

Kim, sorry to hear you didn't like the Cavalier Oceanfront. We didn't encounter anything like you mentioned. (However, this was four years ago and a lot can happen in that time.)

Cambria is often lauded on this site, but I couldn't get interested in the place.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Danie

Try the "pelican suites" in cambria. The newest hotel on moonstone drive.
we stayed there a few months ago, and would go back in a flash.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:37 AM
Pat

Topping for 5/3/02