Reload this Page >

Best Asian Dishes to Sample Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Virginia

I am just not up on what the best Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Thai dishes are. Can anyone recommend what they love best in Hawaiian Asian food. I can offer green papaya salad (Vietnamese), Shrimp with (honeyed walnuts) as dishes I first enjoyed on Oahu but don't regularly see in NYC.

I know most of the standard Chinese food, General Seo's (sp) Chicken, Egg foo young, Moo shu pork. I know very little Vietnamese and Thai. I don't like hot spicy dishes by mild to little spice is fine. Chinatown on Oahu has some of the most Authentic Asian I have ever seen. If you love some dishes let me know what they are.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Robert

I really love Singapore style noodles, they are very fine noodles in curry sauce usually with some chicken and diced veg.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 03:54 PM
s!

I can't offer Oahu specific info...but I do know a smidgen about Korean and Thai food.

Korean:
Great Hot pots. These are noodle soup dishes. They are very filling and filled with broth, noodles,meat and and veggies. Thai cuisine has a similar soup dish.

When in doubt...order the bar-b-que. It is marinated meat (beef, pork or chicken) which is grilled. Some places let you grill it over a small gas grill in the middle of the table. These places are really fun with a few people. Korean food also features pickled veggies like cabbage (kem-chi..sp?) and spinich. I think there are about 100 varations on kem-chi.

THAI:
Lots of noodle dishes. Try Pad Thai. A wide noodle dish with some veggies and great sauce. You can look the recipe up on the foodtv.com site and see if it has any ingredients that turn you off. Beware, Thai food can be really spicy...but most places will tone down whatever you want to order if you ask. Thai satays are also a safe and yummy dish. Grilled and skewered beef, chicken or pork.

If you are with a group, order some items everyone knows and already likes, but also throw in a couple of new dishes. Travel a little on the menu.

You may also want to thumb through a picture filled cookbooks of Korean or Thai food at your local library or bookstore. Make notes as to what looks good and contains items you like.

Happy eating!

p.s. If no one eating in the Asian restaurant is of the same ethnicity as the cuisine (ie. Koreans in a Korean restaurant) don't eat there. Tourist trap.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Virginia

Thanks S! I am on Oahu in two weeks time can you steer me to a great Korean restaurant one that is fun like you suggested. I am taking a family with 3 kids .

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 10:38 PM
Melissa

Virginia, if you do a search on this board there is one called "Cheap Eats on Oahu" that has a million details on food.

My sister reminded me that we like Maple Garden, a Chinese restaurant on Isenberg Street. I don't know why, but I like a dish called Cha Cha Mein--it's not on the menu and it reminds me of spaghetti. We also like a dish called Eight Treasures, which has a bunch of stuff that you roll into a crepe-like thing and seal with plum sauce.

Hale Vietnam on Waialae Avenue is very popular and you should make reservations. I also like Annam, which features Vietnamese as well as some Thai dishes. This is located on Piikoi Street, just outside of Ala Moana Shopping Center. Their noodle dishes are nice and their desserts are refreshing. Lemon Grass Chicken is always a good choice.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Virginia

Thanks Melissa I have seen that very good thread you mention but I was not looking for cheap eats here but what to order. Someone recently suggested a restaurant in the Chinese cultural plaza that was famous for Dungese Crab anybody know about this dish?

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Melissa

Do you mean Won Kee? I'm not sure about the different methods of preparation they offer, but everytime I go there with my family, we order the black bean crab. My dad once said that's what he would want as a "last meal."

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Virginia

Yes Melissa it was Dungeness
Crab in Black Bean Sauce. What is that dish like? Funny about your father's last wishes. Please don't think I am weird I am just a tad food obsessed and I would like to show some people from Southern New Jersy Asian food like I know they have never had before.

One last question Melissa. In the cheap eats post you spoke about running up on Tantulus (sp), I remember their being some slide like waterfalls up there. You often will see families hanging out here. Would you be willing to tell me where the entrance off the road is. I have forgotten. Don't want to put this place down on a public forum I understand.

Thanks Again

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 10:57 PM
Melissa

Oh, gosh, I haven't hiked up there in years! Although I run up & down Tantalus, I don't know where the trails lead. There are quite a few, though. Sorry, on THAT I have no knowledge. But maybe you can do a new thread on this, or try the Sierra Club (http://www.hi.sierraclub.org/Oahu/oahu-hikes.html).

The crab is cooked, cracked and stir fried, in-shell, with black bean sauce, pork hash and scrambled egg(s). It's kind of messy, but tasty! Then scoop the black bean sauce from the serving dish and put it over your rice. mmmmmm.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 10:24 PM
Melissa

topping for Rheianne

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 10:39 PM
lcuy

Thai: I love chicken, scallop, or shrimp panang. The best is at Keo's or Mekong where it is called Evil Jungle Prince. It is a spicy/curry type dish, but in a creamy coconut sauce. I also love mekrup or Crispy noodles. Spring rolls are great...Thai style wrapped in lettuce with thai noodles, mint and cucumber, then you did them in a vinegar/pepper/peanut sauce.
Korean- try bul-go-gi which is marinated, thin sliced beef, or kalbi which is barbequed (asian syle in soy sauce/sesame)thin sliced ribs. Man doo are little fried dumplings. Meat Jun or fish Jun are good too. The meat is thin, coated with an egg mixture and grilled. The sauce really makes it. Try Peppa's on Wilder Avenue for a very tasty take out Korean restaraunt. You get your entree and rice, then choose several veggie sides to go with it.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 04:37 AM
Virginia

Well I went to the Won Kee this summer and had that Dungess Crab in Black bean sauce YUM. Did miss out on Legends Seafood though and my mouth is still watering wishing I had stopped in...food fan here. Something else fun I did not dinner but still fun. Took some kids into Daei (Japanese department store similar to Wallmart but with food), Shiraquia is another higher end department store you can do this in. Anyway took these kids to the candy isle and we brought home whatever our eyes met upon without knowing what it was. ..it was great fun for the kids and we got some pleasant and unique surprises these being all Japanese candies.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:33 AM
ttttt

topping for sheila

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:16 PM
nina

Where is Mekong located. The name sounds familiar and I think it's a place I used to go with my friends a some years ago. I am heading to Oahu next week and would like to go back there.