Reload this Page >

Berkshires or Hudson Valley?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Ellen

In mid-October, my husband and I will be returning from a trip through New England to Virginia with a stop in the Berkshires. We have reservations for two nights in Great Barrington and need to decide what to see from there. We will definitely go to the Noman Rockwell Museum, but our main interest is scenery, hopefully with some fairly good fall color. We are especially interested in the Hudson Valley area. Any suggestions how to plan our sightseeing during our stay in the area and along our route as we leave and head south? Even though we will be there in the middle of the week, we expect it to be very crowded at this time of year and would really appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Fiona

Ellen,
A couple of years ago I tagged along on a business trip of my husband's to West Chester Co. and we went to Kykuit (sp)and thru Sleeply Hollow. We ended up taking the little highway all the way up to West Point following the Hudson River. It was late September and it was beautiful. Have fun!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Mark

Best bet is to check the online foliage resources for both of your destinations. It's been awfully dry this year, so mid-October may or may not be well past "peak". Crowded where?

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 07:02 PM
scarlett

Hi Ellen,
We spent August in the town next to Great Barrington. We always go to the area around Rhinebeck in the fall.
THe Norman Rockwell Museum was very nice. Stockbridge is very nice, the town part is very tourist trappy but the side streets are lovely, with large old homes and beautiful gardens.
Take a drive up Rt 7 to Lennox and walk around there, see where Tanglewood is, there are parks and forests everywhere.
On Mt Washington, right before you arrive in GB is Bash Bish Falls, with nice and easy trails to climb up alongside the falls.
Great for taking a picnic. In the fall it would be wonderful, cool and all the color. Some trees are already yellow and red, but by mid Oct they will probably be in full color.
I do recommend eating at the Mill in South Egremont. It used to be a grist mill in the 1700's and is a beautiful restaurant now, with great food and wine. (You must have the white chocolate and rasberry bread pudding for dessert.)
On the way back, take the Taconic and get off in Rhinebeck, drive South on Rt9-go through Hyde Park, see the Vanderbilt Mansion and FDR's home.
I guess I will stop now, there is so much to see and do in that area.
Have a great time.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 08:24 PM
steve

There are great restaurants in and around Great Barrington. The Old Mill in Egremont or John Andrews, also on Rt. 23 are excellent. If Hyde Park is on the way you can check out FDR's home or the Vanderbilt Mansion, but be sure to reserve for dinner at the Culinary Institute. It's alot of fun.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Carol

I have been in 42 countries and 47 states and think the Hudson River Valley south of Albany to New York is the most beautiful (OK , among the most beautiful) places I have ever seen. If you aren't afraid of heights, I'd drive the Storm King highway south along the New Jersey side of the Hudson, going south from West Point. I agree with the above suggestions, but if it is views you are after rather than historic houses, take the drive I suggest. North of West Point is New Palz area with old houses and great scenery too. How lucky you get to choose between wonders!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Ellen

Thanks to all of you for your great replies. I believe this is going to be the most beautiful leg of our trip. We had not heard of the Storm King Highway, but if our route and time work out, we will surely go that way. Will definitely plan to picnic at Bish Bash Falls and eat at the Old Mill Restaurant. Our joy of eating follows close behind our joy of beautiful scenery! Thanks again.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:10 PM
scarlett

http://www.berkshires.com/

Here is a good site~

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:11 PM
scarlett

http://www.berkshireweb.com/sports/hiking/index.html

Bash Bish Falls