info on Green Mountain Nat'l Forest?

Old Sep 26th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
info on Green Mountain Nat'l Forest?

We are visiting NH and VT in early October. Have read all about the White Mountains and the scenic overlooks, trails, things to do, etc. But I am having a hard time finding out about the Green Mountain National Forest. We are staying in Waitsfield and plan on visiting Waterbury and Stowe. I have read that Rte 100 is a scenic drive, and we plan on doing that. But are there any scenic overlooks, trails worth seeking out in this part of the Green Mountains? How far south should we drive along 100? Or is the most scenic part of Rt 100 going north toward Waterbury and Stowe?
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM

I found these sites but I truly am unfamiliar with this National Forest.

Hope this helps

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/resource/u...t/vt_green.htm

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/gree...ain/g_home.htm

Hill
www.edufire.com
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 01:57 AM

Route 100 IS a lovely, scenic drive, but I think you'll find beautiful scenery all around you.

Along Route 7, between Rutland and Manchester, Vermont, the Green Mountains are now approaching peak, and the coloration is breathtaking. My wife and I have observed that "Only God can paint like that!"

Right now, around Manchester, especially, I'd say colors are almost at peak. We think there are a lot more brilliant reds and oranges and "peach" colors than in recent years, and we love it!

Enjoy and welcome!
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 06:00 PM

The GMNF goes up the spine of the Green Mountains. There are some beautiful mountain passes you can check out like Brandon Gap and Lincoln Gap. Middlebury Gap HAD some great National Forest places to visit but much was damaged due to floods this summer. Waterbury and Stowe would make a GREAT trip. Smugglers Notch is very dramatic. I have written about these spots on my website and podcast- www.mysecretvermont.com
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 03:20 AM

You chose a good time to come for the area you plan to visit should be at peak around the time of your planned visit. Judging from what I've seen so far this should be a really spectacular year. Though I haven't entured out into the countryside yet, (it is my favorite past-time this time of year) colors only recently started changing near my home (near Burlington) but seem to be changing quickly and there are some isolated trees that are already brilliant red. Route 100 is a route I have always enjoyed. About a half-hour south of Waitsfield on 100, just before the town of Granville, there is a wonderful waterfall (Moss Glens Falls) on the right hand side, with a place to park so one can get out and a really see it. Not too far (10 miles ?) from there you will come to Hancock where you would turn right on Rt. 125. Now as someone else has written, there was some heavy flooding a few months back that did some quite a bit of damage to parts of this road. I am not sure what the state of the road is currently, however, I pass the information on "just in case". And if the road has not been repaired you can save it for next time--for I am sure you will be back once you've seen Vermont! Anyway, about 5 miles (guessing) down Rt. 125, there will be an entrance to the Green Mountain National Forest on the right. A short distance in you will find an incredibly beautiful spot called Texas Falls, where there are picnic areas and trails to hike or maybe you just want to look. When you are done in the forest, you can continue down Rt. 125 which will take you to Middlebury, the home of Middlebury College. It's a wonderful little city and is just a couple of miles from the Morgan Horse Farm (tours available) in Weybridge. (A good place to eat here is a restaurant called Fire and Ice--very good and reasonably priced.) Several miles south of Middlebury you can stop at Lake Dunmore, also in the Green Mountain National Forest. And if you wish to drive further south you can head to Rutland, our second largest city (near Killington ski area). Or, if you prefer, you can take Route 7 north to Burlington (the largest). It's a wonderful city, with a lively, vibrant pedestrian downtown--lots of good restaurants, and home of the University of Vermont. It is also right on Lake Champlain (a few blocks from downtown) where you will find the most incredible views of the lake with the Adirondack Mountains of New York as a backdrop and some really pretty sunsets. One can ride the ferry; or one of the cruise boats; go to ECHO, an aquarium/science center; or just walk the boardwalk. There is some beautiful scenery on Route 7 from Middlebury to Burlington, though I think it's prettier when going south from Burington to Middlebury. There's a beautiful spot about 15 miles more or less from Burlington where you can see the lake stretched out to the right. Oh, and just a few miles before this, is the Shelburne Museum, a must see. But back to Burington...... you can take Interstate 89 back to Waterbury (about 1/2 hour). Incidentally, the interstate (and not just this portion, but just about any part of it) offers some incredibly beautiful scenery, with peaceful green valleys surrounded by mountains ablaze with color. My father always marveled at the view driving down the interstate in autumn--saying the mountains looked like huge flower gardens.

As, someone else already mentioned, the various mountain gaps are beautiful and in Stowe, Smuggler's Notch is a must-see. I would also suggest, that while in Stowe you drive up to the Trapp Family Lodge. There are some pretty views up there. But you really don't have to worry about finding scenic places to visit or overlooks. The entire state is scenic and you would be hard put to find some place that isn't.

Some other special places I like to visit in the fall are Woodstock, Manchester, and Quechee Gorge. There are so many others. Of course, in the far southern part of the state there is Bennington and Brattleboro and places I don't know about, and in the other direction there is the Northeast Kingdom and in the northwest, what they call the islands (Grand Isle, North and South Hero, Isle LaMotte). And that's just the beginning. We're a small state but you can possible see all the good stuff in one visit.

As you have probably guessed by now, I could go on and on. But I love my state and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else at this time of year. Unfortunately, my husband has chosen the 2nd week of October to take us to Las Vegas. I don't think I will ever get over missing a week of "home" in October.

If the weather cooperates--bright blue skies, brilliant color, no high winds or rain to knock those leaves off the trees prematurely, you will know you have seen God's country. And, if you do run into cloudy weather, driving through a yellow forest can make you believe the sun is out. I hope this has been helpful and hasn't bored you. Have a great time in my great state!
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 03:34 AM

I just sent you a message, but while proofreading I accidentally hit the "post my reply" button before I could correct my mistakes. They are simple spelling errors--first paragraph the word is "venture".

Several paragraphs down, it should have said "You CAN'T possibly see all the good stuff.....

I see several missing hyphens and I could have edited it somewhat but the basic information is o.k.

Oh, there are ferries at several points on the lake that will take you to New York State. The Burlington Ferry (goes to Port Kent, NY--trip is 1 hr. one way), Grand Isle (goes to Plattsburgh--about 12 minutes), Charlotte (goes to Essex, NY--20 minutes).

Also, there is a wild geese refuge in Addison Vermont south of Burington that might be of interest to you (take Rt 7 to Vergennes, from there take 22A for a few miles and turn right on rt. 17--it will be a few miles down the road on the left.) At this time of year, it is populated with many Canadian Geese on their way south. Also, you can continue driving for several miles and you will come to a bridge that will take you to Crown Point, New York, if you are so inclined. Like I said before, I could go on and on but I'll stop now.

Again, enjoy your trip. I hope I have been of some help to you.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all SO MUCH for taking the time to advise us! We are so excited to be visiting NH and VT next week! The weather is supposed to be great and your suggestions will make our trip so enjoyable!