Bed & Breakfast in Manhatten?

Old Oct 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed & Breakfast in Manhatten?

Can anyone recommend some B&B's preferably in the city? There will be three of us--our 19 year old daughter will be with us. We won't mind if it's uptown or downtown if it is near a subway station. We are planning this a year in advance in preparation for the Macy's parade next Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 09:37 PM

offlady, what is your price range? You can get some very good B&Bs, but they will likely cost you a pretty penny.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 09:46 PM

One suggestion: The Inn at 23rd Street where there is a
subway.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 11:32 PM

google b&bs in manhattan there are quite a few now.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 05:42 AM

I always have to ask why a b & b for Manhattan? They're generally not cheaper than a hotel, many are not well set up for a party of 3 and they often don't actually include breakfast when some hotels do. That said, jacksbandb.com is one good idea and www.wymanhouse.com is another (although you might prefer Beaconhotel.com or Milburnhotel.com in the same neighborhood).
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 05:55 AM

Manhattan is really not a great place for a B&B. As mentioned they are usually not much cheaper than a budget hotel - and don;t offer the same services. (Houses appropriate for a B&B are incredibly expensive unless they have been in the family forever - so they are more like small hotels than typical B&Bs in other locations.) And rooms are almost always doubles only.

If you give a budget people may be able to make suggestions.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 04:25 PM

Hi Offlady, I am in the same situation as you. We will be in NYC in December and travelling with our 17 year old son. I have booked Wyman House. I initially was planning to stay at the Beacon Hotel, but I saw this B&B and decided to give it a go. I am looking forward to staying here, and as your trip is next year I will let you know how it goes.
I chose this B&B because their 'Penthouse Suite' is over 2 floors. So a sitting area with a fold out couch for my son and we will be upstairs. Given his age I just wanted to give him that extra bit of privacy. Also, as we are travelling at a very busy time I wanted something more residential. Anyway - I am very excited about our stay and it is not long now.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Our previous trips to New York were in hotels (Four Seasons and the Plaza), so we wanted a different experience.

millie, I'm anxious to hear about your stay at Wyman House. I think it would be a good location for us since it is near the start of the parade route. My son will be in the parade but is traveling with his marching band. I haven't seen much of the upper west side so I'd be interested to know more about the surrounding area.

That said, I realize this is peak season but what are some other options if I were to budget around $250/night?
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 01:48 AM

Other b & b's on the upper west side
innnewyorkcity.com
countryinnthecity.com

UWS info and guide http://www.nysite.com/ http://gonyc.about.com/od/neighborho.../upperwest.htm

Remember that none of the b & b's have elevators so especially for a top floor suite, that's a lot of stairs.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 09:09 AM

Yes, stairs can be an issue. Typically NYC houses are 5 stories high and there are high ceilings (10 to 12 feet) so often a double flight of stairs between floors. And eevators are very rare - so you need to be ready for up to 8 flights of stairs.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 09:43 AM

Offlady, I'd recommend that you take a long look at the Beacon. I stayed there in late August '09 in a 1 BR suite. The location is excellent with the Fairway Market across the
street and Zabar's and a wonderful little bakery, Levain, just a few blocks away. The subway is a 5-minute walk. The kitchenette was quite serviceable for breakfasts in the room and there was a proper round glass-topped table for dining. The bathroom was small but modern. There are laundry facilites in the hotel which we didn't use. Good views from higher floors. Furnishings will not be the Plaza or FS but they met a reasonable bar for comfort and taste. By the time you add up the extra fees for a third person that a B & B may tack on and consider some of the convenience factors, a hotel room with kitchen facilities may be the ticket. It will be very useful to hear about Millie2112's experiences at Wyman House.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 03:20 PM

You might check out Karen Brown's guides. Although she may have very limited B&B's or small inn's recommendations in Manhattan. I love her travel books.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 06:11 PM

I will post a review when I get back to give you an idea.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 06:16 PM

$250 a night for Thanksgiving in Manhattan is very very low just to give you an idea, we paid $400 a night for the Residence Inn (the Residence Inn, for god's sake!) Thanksgiving 2007.