Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Beaufort and Myrtle Beach , ? worth visiting if passing nearby

Beaufort and Myrtle Beach , ? worth visiting if passing nearby

Dec 6th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Beaufort and Myrtle Beach , ? worth visiting if passing nearby

We have arranged a 16 day road trip of North and South Carolina and Georgia in April 2019 . We are flying to Charlotte from Scotland , staying at Charlotte , Savannah , Hilton Head ( 3 nights) , Charleston , Wilmington , Outer Banks (one night) Raleigh and Ashville . All for 2 nights unless stated . It will be our first visit to this part of the USA and although I have researched the main attractions at each location any suggestions of not to be missed attractions would be welcome . Specifically while travelling between locations we will be passing very close to Beaufort and Myrtle Beach . Is it worth making a detour to make a short visit perhaps including lunch at these 2 destinations ? Beaufort sounds nice to me but Myrtle Beach sounds a bit too touristy ,
I will be travelling with my wife , we are both aged 61 . We like walking , sightseeing , relaxing by the pool or beach , shopping , looking forward to seeing some old historic neighbourhoods and will probably visit an old Plantation . Thanks in advance for any advice . Hotels flights and car hire already booked .
Dec 6th, 2018, 09:21 AM

The two are worlds apart. MB also differs from the OBX, especially from the National Seashore section of the OBX which I hope you are going to see while there. MB has lots of high rise accommodations and all the other stuff typically seen in a popular beach destination. Beaufort, at least the part you'll enjoy the most, is full of Spanish Moss-draped trees and some lovely older homes with water/marshland views. Some would say it is a smaller version of nearby Charleston or Savannah but Myrtle Beach it is NOT.
Dec 6th, 2018, 11:27 AM

I know this isn't what you asked about but I would have to say that YOu've chosen 3 nights in Hilton Head which is the most "sterile" beach property on the southeast coast, IMO. It is all the same. There's just no there there, compared to so many other places you have listed. I would make that a bypass or one night stand instead of the OBX OR Charleston or almost anywhere else.
I'm not sure how you are getting from one place to another or the exact track but driving from Wilmington to Charleston passes by/through MB on route 17 and would take about a 3 hour drive. It is much better than 95.
And yes, Beaufort IS worth a stop FAR more than Hilton Head.
You will be travelling during prime azalea and dogwood season and there are many gardens to be enjoyed along the coast at that time. AND the plantations around Charleston, of course.
Travelling down Route 17 to Charleston you will also pass Brookgreen Gardens at Litchfield/Pawley's Island, a lovely former plantation which is now a wonderful art and sculpture collection of the Huntington family.
Just a bit down from there is Georgetown, also worth a drive through for its charming waterfront and pre-REvolutionary War homes.
I love Wilmington but it doesn't really need 2 days--it could be a drive through on the way south. It does have a nice historic waaterfront and 1 day there would be enough IMO.
Dec 6th, 2018, 12:42 PM

I liked Hilton Head and particularly the trip to Daufuskie Island where we rented a golf cart for a couple of hours.
Charlotte, NC we found to be a bit of a snooze (was visiting late husband's niece).
Dec 6th, 2018, 02:32 PM

Hello willie from Scotland,

My uncle lived the last 40 years of his life in Beaufort. There are many lovely antebellum and post bellum homes there and a pleasant Main Street with a few eating establishments, and I'd definitely recommend it as a stop as you travel between Charleston and Savannah, two amazing cities by the way, where if you're like me, you'd wish you had more than 2 nights.

best Wishes,

Daniel
Dec 6th, 2018, 02:37 PM

I'm also a fan of Hilton Head for many of the reasons you list as likes. You are covering a lot of ground and will be in the car for much of your holiday. Not an issue if you don't mind a lot of driving. I think you could drop a night in Charlotte and add one to Savannah or Charleston (Charlotte is a nice place to live but not so interesting to a visitor). No need to stop in Myrtle Beach and Beaufort can be seen in passing, maybe stop for lunch and look around.
Dec 7th, 2018, 03:34 AM

Again, I'd have to advise that the Outer Banks may be an outlier for your trip and most especially for only one night. It is a 4 hour drive from Wilmington and then you have to get back also.
I'd sort of agree you can cut your time in Charlotte although there are some very interesting museums. The Bechtler is a small gem with a world class collection. The MInt also. There is some destination type dining available. But in the grand scheme, a night may be enough.
That may be true for Raleigh also when you could spend more time in Charleston or Savannah or traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville.. Almost rather than Raleigh Winston Salem has an interesting historic site in Old Salem and the Southern Decorative Arts Museum.
Dec 7th, 2018, 05:15 AM

I hope you realize that Hilton Head and the National Seashore area of the Outer Banks are VERY different beach areas. Perhaps I should ask why you are even going to these two places and what you hope to see there. I am not saying you shouldn't and if it is just to "go to the beach" that's fine and if you are looking for contrasts, that is fine'also. And yes, they are different from the beach areas you may be used to.

Search this Thread