Reload this Page >

Suggest 5 day itinerary for South Carolina coast trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 07:14 AM
PK

We are four, early 50s couples planning a trip to the South Carolina coast and possibly Savannah, Georgia in April 2003. We are meeting in Myrtle Beach with full five days to enjoy. Departing for our rspective homes from either Hilton Head or Savannah.

We would really appreciate help with a suggested 5 day itinerary. All enjoy touring, history and good food.The men look forward to at least one golf date while the women shop or go antiquing.

Of upmost importance is booking in advance our nightly accomodations. We do like historical inns/hotels and/or B&Bs.

Thanking you in advance for suggestions.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Gretchen

I'm not completely understanding your departure sites--are you flying as in flying into MB and leaving from another place.
Well, anyway meet in MB and leave immediately heading south. If you want to golf immediately stay the first night at Litchfield by the Sea (contact the Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort--itis online). They have a beautiful variety of accomodations from beach front condos to duplexes on the marsh. Very upscale but with excellent value. Almost across the road from Litchfield is Brookgreen Gardens--exquisite gardens with incredible sculptures. You can do a lunch tour that is lovely. Ladies can antique in the area on down to Georgetown (about 20 minutes south). You will also enjoy the historic area of Georgetown--RevolutionaryWar era. Also tour Pawleys Island historic district to see where the rice planters of Charleston spent their summers to escape mosquitos and malaria. For the best food on the Carolina coast go just north of Litchfield to Murrell's Inlet--an entire town of excellent restaurants. And perhaps the best restaurant outside of Charleston is in Pawley's Island--Frank's. Reservations a must.
Then head south to Charleston. Stay at least 2 days. Do a tour with Sara Ragsdale. If your budget is high try to get reservations at 2 Meeting Street, the finest B&B. Another pretty interesting place is the Vendue Inn--really a hotel, not a B&B. Be sure to do a plantation tour--I like Middleton the best. The restaurants are outstanding.
I think Charleston is much more interesting than Savannah but if you want head south for a day--does that make your 5? If you want another beach day I would go to Wild Dunes near Charleston rather than Hilton Head. Good golfing there also.
You will want to work on Charleston reservations soon--that will be high season and the azaleas and dogwoods will be in full bloom--gorgeous.
Post if I can help more.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 08:29 AM
PK

Gretchen, thank you...you are a wealth of information. To answer your question, some couples are from Ontario, Canada and another from Florida, so we are meeting in Myrtle Beach. We plan to drive south together, ending our trip in Hilton Head or Savannah.

Is Beaufort worth a stop? If so, overnight or just an afternoon? Once again, thank you.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Gretchen

I have not actually been but it is certainly worth a drive by. Wonderful waterfront homes like Charleston.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 09:51 AM
been

drove around in Beaufort last summer... if you stop at the tourist info. place first, you will receive maps, etc. to enhance your time spent in Beaufort. They have horse/carriage tours, but we just did the drive ourselves - the maps have houses identified and a short history concerning the homes/mansions. It was enjoyable to experience a new place, but unless it is evening and you need to stay, just an afternoon will be plenty of time. We were driving from Savannah to Charleston, and had plenty of time...

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 11:28 AM
xxx

Beaufort is definitely worth a day stop. Gorgeous and tons of movies have been filmed there.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 07:16 PM
xxx

While you're at Brookgreen Gardens, cross the road to Huntington State Park. There is a wonderful nature trail and the remains of Atalaya, the winter mansion of sculptress Anna Hyatt Huntington.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:44 AM
chuck

PK,

I can't add anything to the great advice you have already received, except to grab the attention of . . .

GRETCHEN:

I have noticed your recommendation of Murrells Inlet restaurants. I am aware of the reputation, but could you be more specific and give us a few of your favorites? I live in NMB and don't get that far south very often; when I do, I'd like to make it count! (Note: we've tried Bovines and thought it was okay, but nothing to rave about.)