Between Myrtle Beach and Charleston?

Jul 17th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Between Myrtle Beach and Charleston?

I will be taking a whirlwind trip down the Carolina coast in two weeks, flying into Wilmington, NC and flying out of Savannah, with only 5 days in between. My current theoretical itinerary has me in Wilmington the first night, at a resort in Myrtle Beach the second, Charleston the next two, and Savannah the final night. I'm trying to figure out if--given the short time frame--I should sacrifice one night in Charleston and instead stay one night somwhere south of MB? Any thoughts?

Also, can Hilton Head be done as a day trip? Is it worth it?

Finally, any general suggestions for places to visit on the coast aside from MB, Charleston and Beaufort?

Thanks as always to the helpful people on this board!

Matt
Jul 17th, 2003, 07:54 AM

Geez, why jump around so much. Hilton Head is a beach--don't bother. It is only 2 hours from MB (if you must go there!). Stay in Charleston the last 3 nights. If you want another beach day go to one of the beaches at Charleston--they are pretty.
Jul 17th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Believe me, if I had it my way I would not be doing it this way... But I'm tagging along with a friend, and have no choice in terms of timing.

So MB is not worth a stopover? I've heard mixed reports about it, but I figure I should stop SOMEWHERE between Wilmington and Charleston so that I can have a base to explore the towns and terrain in between, no?
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:13 AM
GoTravel

matt, you may run into minimum night stays of 7 nights at the bigger resorts in MB so I would skip it. A fun place to stop would be Georgetown which is south of MB. Tons of quaint B&Bs and a very pretty waterfront with shopping, dining, and nightlife.

Jul 17th, 2003, 09:16 AM

I'm from SC and I personally can't stand Myrtle Beach. It's so commercial and touristy (not that there's anything wrong with being a tourist). We have a house at Litchfield Beach, between Myrtle Beach and Georgetown and we love the area. Not very much nightlife, but great restaurants and beautiful wide beaches.

You can't miss Charleston. Spend as much time there as possible.
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:27 AM

I agree w/ GoTravel. Unless you are a golfer or a horny teenager Myrtle Beach has little for you. It's a spectacular piece of beach (why it's called the Grand Strand) but it's to covered in bodies and traffic to see it anymore.

I think Litchfield or Georgetown is a better bet. Brookgreen Gardens is south of MB and enjoyable.
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

What I'm reading about Myrtle Beach makes it sound like the South's answer to Atlantic City, with better beaches and less gambling. That's not an enticing prospect, I'll admit. However, as two single guys in our late 20s, we do want to stay places that have decent nightlife. Is MB really all kids and teenagers? That's not really our kind of nightlife.... Maybe Georgetown is a good compromise, in this respect?
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:55 AM
GoTravel

If you are two guys looking for great nightlife then by all means go to Myrtle Beach. Great clubs are Revolutions, Crocodile Rocks, Club Boca and a bunch of other ones at Broadway at the Beach.

Granted, there are some parts of MB that are awful but many more areas that are great. Go to priceline and bid on a room but read biddingfortravel.com first. Good luck and have fun!

Jul 17th, 2003, 12:07 PM
iceeu2

I love MB.....It's all what you make it!
Have fun!

Jul 17th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

I think we will stick with Myrtle Beach after all... it's just one night, anyway. Maybe hit Mullet's Inlet area for some good seafood for lunch and then visit Georgetown en route to Charleston. Thanks for the input.

Jul 17th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Er, make that Murrell's Inlet... maybe a Freudian slip regarding my expectations for the area? Hmm...
Jul 17th, 2003, 03:56 PM

Rather than go to Georgetown (and it is a wonderful historic town and I love it) just stay in MB. I personally hate it (we own at Litchfield) but you will have a good time as 2 youngsters. In Murrell's Inlet try these places for great seafood
Russell's--Hot Phish Club--Hana's (eclectic, not just seafood, has a sushi bar). In Garden City--Sara J's (on the marsh--great seafood), Conch Cafe (Go to Garden City pier, turn right and go a mile and a half--only place in GC to eat ON the ocean). If you want a gourmet meal eat at Louis Osteen's place in Pawley's Island (just south of Murrell's inlet) OR Frank's (been a stalwart of Pawley's Island for years. Make reservations for sure.
Don't bother about Hilton Head, no fooling--it is commercial up the gazoo and the beach ain't that great. I could also bypass Savannah except for leaving.
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:42 PM

mattydale-

Your itinerary is FINE..

Keep Myrtle Beach on your list-but stay at the NORTHERN end of Myrtle Beach--ie. The Myrtle Beach Hilton- there is a terrific band at the pool everyday- we go every year and were just there this past July 4th...ASK for a room in the 614-618 area of the hotel...these rooms are the closest to the beach- although all the rooms face the beach due to the design of the hotel....

MB is great if you are into GOLF--tons of golf courses!

For restaurants in the area to try:
Umberto's at Barefoot Landing,
Chianti in Little River
Flo's Place in Murrell's Inlet- VERY funky place
Daruma - for sushi near the Hilton
There are tons of clubs in the area for people your age...In fact, of all the places you are staying, MB will have the most nitelife...

Forget Hilton Head- it is just an upscale beach resort area...and is 1 hr N of Savannah--between Charleston and Savannah...Not worth it for the detour between the 2 cities....You need a long weekend to enjoy Hilton Head..it is good for tennis and beach

Charleston is the BEST place on the list- tons to see, GREAT restaurants.
There is also the College of Charleston in the heart of downtown.....You can get free bikes at some of the BnB's in town to explore the Battery area...

Try Elliot House Inn in Charleston- it is historic-and they serve continental breakfast on a silver tea service in your room---VERY Southern and full of charm....they also have a large HOT TUB under an arbor in their courtyard and serve wine and cheese in the PM--Also bikes are free here..1 block to all the tourist sites..take a carriage ride thru the Battery...

Great restaurants: Anson's, Magnolia's

Have a great time!
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:53 AM

HA!!! Mullet's Inlet. That's the best funny of the day.

I've seen a few, I'll admit, but we ARE talking about South Carolina. As much as I love my state, not all haircuts are created equal!

Have fun!
Jul 18th, 2003, 07:38 AM

Now that I know you're two single guys in your twenties, I take back everything I said. Spend the whole trip in MB. I feeling phsychic...does the word "lucky" have meaning for you?
Jul 18th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

This is all fantastic, thanks a bunch. We have decided to stick with Myrtle Beach for that night, and then simply visit Georgetown (and whatever else might be of interest along the coast) en route to Charleston. I did go ahead and book the Hilton in North Myrtle Beach. It was perhaps a bit pricey considering that we're staying there only overnight, but hey, it's a vacation. Furthermore, we will skip Hilton Head since (from what I have read here) it is beautiful but truly makes no sense as a daytrip, and maximizing time in Charleston appears to be the way to go.

This begs one follow-up question: Instead of staying in Savannah that last night, should we perhaps stay in Charleston the final three nights and simply see Savannah during the last day of my trip? (My flight home departs at 5:45pm from Savannah, so in theory we could put in a few hours touring Savannah before I leave). Or is this too rushed for Savannah? My original plan (as outlined in my first post) was to spend a night and a day in Savannah... but maybe it's not worth doing that? I'd love to hear some opinions on how "worthwhile" a destination Savannah is. Again, many thank you's for the input.

Jul 18th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Litespeed Chick, your confidence is appreciated.
Jul 18th, 2003, 12:23 PM

Stay in Charleston and see Savannah on your way to the airport. Go over to Mt. Pleasant and eat at one of the seafood places on Shem Creek (this is Charleston). My kids like The Wreck.
Do NOT eat at Hyman's in Charleston.
Jul 18th, 2003, 12:55 PM

Stay in Charleston that last nite rather than Savannah--as Savannah is sooooooo similar than Charleston, only
Charleston is way way better~~!!!!

Do NOT waste your time in Georgetown- I would stay another nite in Myrtle Beach...

Jul 18th, 2003, 04:53 PM

Spend some time in Wilmington also if you can. There is a lot to do there and also has nice beaches. Great area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO