Beach House Rental???

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach House Rental???

Hi there,
I know it's early... but I'm already thinking of a vacation for next summer. We live in NYC and would like to rent a house on or near the ocean for a week next July or August. There will be a group of us-- 8-10ppl... and a baby. We are looking for a place with great beaches, restaurants, shops where we can just relax and have great dinners on the bbq. The Hamptons are great.. but weekly rentals aren't too common and are ridiculously expensive. We're thinking of Cape Cod, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard or the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Jenny
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:23 AM

A bit further south but proximity to Charleston gives you a good airport and all the fabulous restaurants, shopping, etc you can handle.

http://www.eastwestresorts.com/prop....iqueID=12P1397
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

We are actually hoping to drive. We'll have a baby with us and it's easier to just load up the car. Thank you though.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 08:00 AM

I think you'd be surprised how many Hampton's rentals there are now for only a week. For a house large enough for 8-10, you would pay $3,000 and up depending on the week. Vrbo.com is just one place to look. Your biggest problem may be finding a house without a pool if the baby safety is an issue.

Yes you will find cheaper options elsewhere, but what you may save in rental fees you may also spend in traveling expenses.

Nantucket is wonderful, but not likely any cheaper and a lot further.

I suggest perusing vrbo.com for ideas.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 08:02 AM

If you are going to drive, you don't want the outer Banks. Wrightsville Beach or that area could be good.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:06 AM

There used to be quite a few Montauk houses for rent for a week or 2 .. I would suggest deciding which beach town appeals to you and just get a realtor from there to help you.
We rented a charming house with a fireplace, roses climbing the wall outside by the front door & a picket fence in Eastham.. a short drive to beaches and Truro - which I loved!-http://www.trurochamberofcommerce.com/

And I don't think you are too early either
We rented on Marthas Vineyard also and also don't think it is too early for there either , but with the ferry and all, I found Long Island beaches to be the easiest to get to from home (NYC)

Duck in NC is known for the huge rental homes so that would be great for your big group..
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:18 AM

How about Long Beach Island, NJ? There are tons of huge rental houses on the beach or a block off. Most folks come from the Philadelphia area, but there are quite a number of New Yorkers, too. The ride from the city is no more than 3 hours. Probably less than that, depending on where you are coming from.