Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

HELP! We must cancel Bethany Beach Delaware house rental

Old May 7th, 2003, 11:06 AM
patthegreat

Summer school is forcing our family to relinquish a weekly rental (!*&*!) at Bethany Beach, Delaware, July 26 - August 2 (Sat-Sat) 2003. Bethany is family-friendly, a small town with a boardwalk, nice shops, decent restaurants, and a clean guarded beach. This "no-smoking" rental at 217 Maplewood Ave, sleeps 8 (3BR, 2 baths, 2 queen beds, 2 twin beds, queen sleeper sofa). It is on pilings, with parking underneath; screen porch + deck, outside shower, dishwasher, washer/dryer, microwave, central a/c, cable TV/VCR etc. 2 blocks to beach. We are not acting as agents or leasers, just as renters who have put down 50% deposit, and are in danger of losing it all if no one else rents the house. So, if you're interested, call Connor Jacobsen Realty at 800-543-5550. I hope this posting is not taboo.

Old May 7th, 2003, 11:22 AM
GoTravel

What is the price?

Old May 7th, 2003, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't they jsut accpet a canellation and charge you a penalty?

If you only get your money back if it's re-reented, perhaps you should agree to pay 10% or so on the rental. You will still get back most of your money, and the incentive might rent the place faster.
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:32 AM

Why are you cancelling because of summer school. Don't you have someone who can watch the summer schoolee for that week so the rest of the family can enjoy their vacation?
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:53 AM
patthegreat

GoTravel: The price is $1965 + tax + fees (we would have paid $2088.25 total).
Dick: There is an automatic 15% penalty; if it is not re-rented, we lose the rest of our 50% deposit.

Budman: I wish! But the one of us who most cares about the beach trip is the one going to summer school; we others prefer the beach in the fall.

I hope someone can take advantage of our situation. BTW, when I called the realtor today, she said they have 5 suddenly unrented properties.

Old May 19th, 2003, 06:19 AM
PSB

Is this a reasonable rate, and is it still unrented?