Notices

Condo rental for snowbirds

Old Feb 17th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Condo rental for snowbirds

My husband & I are retired (both 62) and are looking for a condo on the beach to rent next year February 14, 2016 - March 31, 2016. that preferably is pet friendly but not necessary (prefer between $2500 and $3000 per month). We would like 2 bedrooms, w/ 1-1/2, 2 baths if possible. We're looking in the Gulf coast areas of Southern Florida but would also rent on the East Coast . Has anyone ever rented a place or knows someone that has that could give us some suggestions? I've been looking on VRBO, HomeAway, airbnb and a few other sites. Haven't had much luck yet. Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 12:29 AM

I think your problem is wanting to rent for six weeks.

Rentals generally go for a week at a time or a month at a time. A whole year in advance, a lot of owners would not want to commit to something outside their normal rental. They have to pay for turnovers, and they have commitments to the people who do this.

Assume that you will need to rent two different places. Expand your search to include both weekly rentals and monthly rentals. Moving after two weeks may seem a bother, but it gives you the opportunity to experience two different places.

A one week rental will be more expensive on a daily basis than a monthly rental, but if you find a place you like, ask for a discount for the second week or for a larger discount if they will rent for six consecutive weeks.

No rental will be perfect, but they can be pretty darn good. Remember that they are just as worried about getting stuck with a bad tenant as you are about getting stuck with a bad rental!
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comment! I'll expand my search for two months. My problem is the dollar amount we can afford. I know there's hundreds of places for rent on the beach - I just can't find something within our price range. We'll go anywhere in southern florida. We will take care of that condo like it's our own home.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 07:38 PM

I don't think you will ever find a place on the beach for Feb and March in south Florida for $3000/month.

If you are happy with temperatures in the 50s and 60s, the Panhandle is beautiful. I would stay just about anywhere on 30A. We are staying in Seagrove Beach now. There are a lot of snowbirds here.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 01:51 AM

Or, you can stay a few blocks in from the beach.

At 62, can you ride a mile on a bike to the beach? Problem solved.

When we used to spend the winter in Naples, beaches and the parking spaces for them were usually pretty empty until 10 and after 4. So if you can get out in the morning fairly early or go to the beach later in the day, being some distance from the beach is not a problem.

It is also more likely to be pet-friendly away from the beach because many Florida beaches do not permit dogs, though of course your "pet friendly" may mean you have a parrot!

I would never trade "reliably warm" for "right on the beach."
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 06:31 AM
cd

I agree that you are not going to find a condo on the beach in southern Florida for $3000.00 I say this with a certain amount of certainty because I have tried it. We settled for the Panhandle for 4 winters and it is beautiful with the white sand and blue waters but you have to be content with 50's 60's
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 07:08 AM

I agree that what you are seeking is not available most places on the Gulf Coast, at least at that price point. The place you are describing (true beachfront) typically rents for $300 a night and up. However, you could probably find a place very close to the beach for your budget. Siesta Key south of Sarasota has a lot of rentals at different price levels, and there are many available just across the street from the beach (5-10 minute walk) that would probably work for you.

I agree that you should break up your stay in two segments of 3 weeks each, which will make it much easier to find a place. The Naples/Bonita Springs area is very nice and usually a few degrees warmer than Sarasota, but it tends to be priced a little higher too.

I would make your choices as soon as possible, because these areas book up early, and the nicest, most affordable spots close to the beach, along with beachfront rentals, will go first.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 07:15 AM

I would basically disagree with voyager that it would be "easier" to find two places for 3 weeks each instead of one for 6 weeks. MANY places balk at renting for less than a month, and I can't imagine anyone giving you three weeks for less that half of what they'd want for 6 weeks!

It is true that it is early for many owners to commit to less than a couple of months, but finding one willing to commit to 6 weeks is not impossible. Certainly easier than finding two owners both willing to commit to only 3 weeks each.

The timing is also a bit of a problem, since you are looking at absolutely the TOP priority times. March is normally the highest priced month with February being second. What you're asking someone to do is give you those times and being stuck holding January to mid February which are less prime times.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you really love the Gulf of Mexico, consider Corpus Christi TX.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 10:07 AM

If you really love the Gulf of Mexico, stick to Florida.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 12:53 PM

"MANY places balk at renting for less than a month"

My beach condo in Crescent Beach (St. Augustine area) is always rented for a minimum of 3 months to snowbirds and I just got a rental for next winter for 5 months.

Old Feb 20th, 2015, 01:48 PM

Exactly, Orlando_Vic. That's why this far ahead most places don't want to let it go for 6 weeks or a month. But as time gets closer and if they haven't gotten a three month or longer rental, and maybe someone has rented for April, for example, then they may accept your times. But again, the six weeks you want are the MOST prime times, so they aren't likely to have those times left if they give in to a shorter than that rental.

Have you asked any of those you like if they will consider your six week period by such and such a date if they don't have another commitment? Get in on the ground floor so to speak?
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 07:19 PM

I happen to be in Longboat Key near Sarasota right now. I notice that there is a real estate co. here called Engel and Volkers. They might be able to help. Also our friends are staying across the st. at a complex called Cedars East and their condo sounds financially doable.
Old Jul 29th, 2015, 02:00 PM

Pensacola Beach is not reliably warm in February and March and even early April.

Besides, this may be an ad, and those aren't permitted here.
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 06:43 AM

If you are looking for a great community with Snowbirds from all around Pensacola Beach, Navarre Beach and Perdido Key in Florida are great areas. My family comes to Pensacola Beach and Navarre beach every winter and absolutely loves it.
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 08:19 AM

Try Hilton Head Island, SC. A great 2 bedroom ocean front condo can be had for under $3k/month.

Check this listing out..... a great unit in a beautiful complex.

https://www.vrbo.com/749865
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 09:03 AM

4401, whom are you talking to? You unburied a year old post. The original poster was looking for a place for this year, and presumably found one long ago, or has given up.

Nice attempt at advertising your condo though even if you don't know the difference between Florida and Hilton Head in February.