Search

beach camping

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beach camping

We are planning to visit our daughter at college in Tacoma over Thanksgiving break and would like to camp somewhere on the coast for a few days. Don't want to drive too far, so have been looking at the Ocean Shores area and the Westport/Grayland area. Not sure whether to pick the north or south peninsula! We don't want to be near anything too touristy, but would like to be close to the ocean for walks, etc. We will be in our VW camper van so would probably prefer a utility campsite. Does anyone have recommendations for campgrounds? I checked the Wash State Park website and found Grayland Beach State Park and Twin Harbors St. Pk...anyone have any experience there?
Thanks so much!
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Some of the towns on the southern WA coast tend to be pretty touristy-tacky(Ocean Shores, for example) BUT in November you'll probably be the only people there out in the wet and cold, so that would certainly mitigate the touristy aspect of it. Also I don't think it would be bad in the state parks-you'd be somewhat removed from the touristy stuff. The campsites further north in Olympic National Park (like Kalaloch) have much less development near them, if you are looking for something pretty remote. Also, the beaches up north are much prettier-cliffs, seastacks, tidepools, etc, as opposed to the largely flat, featureless beaches of the southern coast. There is also camping at the private campground at La Push (they have a web site), but there are cabins, a restaurant, etc, too, so that may be not as quiet as you'd like.

I haven't camped at the two parks you asked about, but for ocean car camping in the southern area I've always liked Fort Canby State Park. It's a very dramatic place, where the Columbia River meets the ocean. It gets very busy in summer but again, at this time of year, you might have it all to yourself.
FYI-be prepared for serious storms. November is usually our rainiest, stormiest month, and the coast bears the brunt of it.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 10:20 AM

The Ocean Shores area is your best bet and it won't be at all touristy this time of year:
http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washingto...ocecamping.htm
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I absolutely love Graylands in the winter. I have never been to the camp grounds, but would gladly give either a try.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your input! I reserved a space at Grayland Beach State Park, and also a motel in Grayland for a couple of nights since the weather has been soooo rainy! We'll be making numerous trips out that way while our daughter is in college, so will save the north OP for spring/summer.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Just a follow up to my post. We did enjoy the wind-swept and desolate beaches around Grayland.(you're right Suze!) The winter ocean was big and wild and so different from summer. Grayland State Park was one of the nicest, well-appointed campgrounds we have stayed in...and right on the beach! Our motel was bare-bones...not even a box of Kleenex, but it also had good beach access and a working oven to cook our T-giving dinner. Imagine my surprise when I looked out the window and saw a black bear strolling by! As for the weather...well christy1 told the truth. Torrential rains and stinging hail, but that made the occasional 15 minutes of blue sky even more appreciated.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the report.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 10:17 AM

I enjoyed your report. Geez, a bear. I'm happy you had a good time anyway. I had a friend visiting for 10 days the first of Nov. and it was hard trying to show her around and make her understand how beautiful it is where in Wa. when you can see through the rain. We did see deer walk by my Condo, maybe if it had of been a bear she would have been more impressed.