Camping along California's Central Coast

Jun 13th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Erin

Camping along California's Central Coast

Hello! I am planning a drive from San Fran to LA in late August. I have about 3-4 days to get to LA. I am interested in staying at campsites along the way - a different one each night along the way down. I'll probably be driving along the coast. Any recommendations for campsites would be appreciated. Also - please any ideas on sites to see along the way would be welcome too! Thanks!

Jun 13th, 2002, 11:27 AM
x

Here's a site that lists many of the campgrounds along the coast near big sur. I camped at Pismo while in college and though it was great fun.
http://www.jrabold.net/bigsur/bigs_prk.htm
For lots of info on camping in CA try this site: http://www.gorp.com/gorp/location/ca/ca.htm
Pismo Beach has campgrounds at Pismo Beach State Park, Oceano Dunes State Recreational Vehicle Area. Pismo State Beach and the adjacent Oceano Dunes State Recreational Vehicle Area both allow vehicles on the 8 miles of drivable beach and dune areas. Best conditions are at low tide, the speed limit is 15 mph and staying on the hard packed sand will keep you out of trouble.

Jun 14th, 2002, 04:38 AM
x

Jun 14th, 2002, 09:29 AM
x

find ones that take reservations if possible and make them NOW.

Jun 14th, 2002, 09:03 PM
c

Montana De Oro is one of my favorite state parks. Located along the coast, between San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay (right off Hwy 1), this park has campgrounds that you can reserve online.

Here's a brief overview of the park:
Montaña de Oro State Park features over 8,000 acres of rugged cliffs, secluded sandy beaches, coastal plains, streams, canyons, and hills - with 1,347-foot Valencia Peak. Naturalists and backpackers enjoy the solitude and freedom found along the park’s trails. There are also mountain biking and equestrian trails. The best-known beach is Spooner’s Cove, across from the campground. The park’s name, "Mountain of Gold," comes from the golden wildflowers that bloom in spring. Wildlife in the park includes black tailed deer and the black oystercatcher. The park includes primitive and equestrian campsites.

Just be sure to keep an eye out for poison oak...I learned the hard way!

Jun 15th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Erin

Ouch...thanks for the tips!

Search this Thread