Search

Camping in Oregon

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camping in Oregon

Planning a trip to Oregon this summer (august) so hubby can windsurf the Columbia river gorge. Any suggestions for nice campgrounds in the area between Hood River and Maryhill. The guys want to sail but the moms and kids want a pool to hang out at. Any suggestions?
Also looking for suggestions on the oregon coast between Newport and Long Beach WA. State park recommendations here would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old May 20th, 2003, 02:18 PM

I really can't help you with campgrounds on the Gorge. We stayed in one last year and I researched many but I can't remember one with a pool. KOA's usually have pools, I don't recall there being one along there though. Ask Hood River tourism for some information.

Probably one of the most popular campgrounds on the coast would be outside Astoria, Fort Stevens. Lots to do and see both in the campground and in the area. I have been to South Beach in Newport. The campground is nice with nice paths to the beach. The beach is large and you can walk long distances both directions. Newport is a fun little town to visit too.

I have also stayed (just as an overnighter) at Beverly Beach just north of Newport and it was ok. Personally I prefer warmth and sunshine. There are lots of big trees that keep the park shady and darker. It is also not on the beach - it is a walk under the highway to get to the beach. However, I have friends who really like it, it is pretty just cold and dark.

Also it is important to know that the coast is not always warm in the summer. I went over in August last year and was freezing with my jeans and a windbreaker. The windbreaker did nothing to stop the wind! It is still fun but it can be pretty cool. Of course the Gorge is windy too which keeps it cooler as well.

Make reservations quickly! The state parks fill up! Here is a website. You could also check out the state parks in the Gorge. www.oregonstateparks.org/searchpark.php

We stayed at Memaloose in the Gorge. It was so pretty and green (we had just been in eastern Oregon). FYI on both sides of the Columbia are RR tracks so you will have trains going by at all times. They are moving quickly but they are loud and sometimes close to campground spots - especially for a tent.

Let us know if you have any other questions. Enjoy!
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Sara, thanks for your suggestions, I will check those spots out.
Old May 26th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Sara
Do you know any thing about campsites at Nehalem Bay state park, just south of Manzanita, or Cape Lookout State Park on the three capes loop, both on the North Coast. I too prefer warmth and sunshine, so your reccomendations are appreciated.
Also re: Memaloose in the Gorge...
Is there access to the river and a sailing site from the campground, or do the railroad tracks run between the campground and the river?
Where are the better site located within the campground?
Thanks for your help
Lynette
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:15 PM

While I hate to send your tourist money to Washington I would recommend looking for campgrounds on the WA side of the river. I know there was one that you could get to the river from the campground. I found them on the web so they should be out there.

Memaloose does not have access to the river - the RR tracks are fenced off. I think the best sites are those along the RR or along the west side of the campground - but those may be tent sites.

I have never been to either of the campgrounds you asked about on the coast but I have heard that Cape Lookout is a very nice campground. It may occasionally be cooler than a few miles away, but it is recommended. I don't mean to dissuade you from Nehalem though - I just don't know anything about it.

This observatory looks great, I haven't been yet but it might be fun for an evening you are in the Gorge. http://www.perr.com/gosp.html

Sorry I can't be more helpful, I think any state campground is a good solid choice, they are all very nice.