Bay Pines, FL (Tampa/St Pete area) help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to visit the Bay Pines, FL area for business and know nothing of the area. Have been told it is easiest to fly into Tampa, rent a car and drive from there. Have looked at some maps and that seems reasonable. Meetings will be in Bay Pines. Any suggestions for lodging? How about dining recommendations in the area? (seafood is always good, care more about the food than the decor)
Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:34 PM

Hi, You don't say what city you are flying from. Clearwater has an airport and Allegiant flies into it. Clearwater is closer but Tampa is not far. If you are going to the Bay Pines Hospital, you will be very near Maderia Beach. There are some nice motels and many great seafood places on the beach.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, stpetereb. The meeting will be in Bay Pines. Tampa will be the best bet for flights, so I am booked in and out of there. Still looking for hotel, though. Would prefer something convenient to the meeting place. What is traffic like getting from the beaches?
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Hi Seamus! I live in the area, and stpetereb is right, Madeira Beach, or Redington Shores or Treasure Island would be within easy commute. Bay Pines is just over the bridge from the barrier islands, so five minutes from Madeira. Traffic is not bad EXCEPT when going south from Madeira to TI or reverse, since the bridge connecting the two is under construction (since forever it seems) and opens frequently.

Some favorite seafood restaurants on the beach are Dockside Dave's, Middlegrounds Grill, the Lobster Pot, and Guppy's.

Advertising not allowed here, but DH & I also own a seafood market and restaurant in St. Pete, about a 15 minute drive from Madeira Beach! Go here for our menu:
http://www.thegabber.com/mid-peninsula/
Would love to meet you, if you stop by ask for Joan or Don!
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Joan - will be sure to look for you if we can work it into the schedule.
Any place in Madeira beach that would be a good lodging option?
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Weird, my post disapeared! I will try to rewrite it.

Seamus, since I live on TI, I am not really sure about lodging options (everybody stays at my house LOL). I do know places on Treasure Island, my two faves are Bilmar and The Island Inn.

Madeira Beach is rather ...drab I guess is the word. Alot of condos lining the boulevard on the beach. However, there is a cool shopping complex at the south end, called John's Pass Village. Located at the foot of the bridge linking Madeira Beach and Treasure Island, there are lots of dining and shopping options there, as well as jetski and boat rentals. My favorite place to dine is actually underneath the boardwalk, a place called The Hut. Good bar food, live music on the weekends, but best of all they have a little dock where you can sit out over the water and watch the boats. We almost always see dolphins from our table when we go there.

Take a look at Barefoot Beach Resort, it doesn't look brand new, but gets great reviews on Trip Advisor. If you want to look further north (just a few minutes) there is a Doubletree and a Hilton on Redington Beach. Perhaps stpetereb will see this and chime in with more options.

Hope this helps a little, have a great trip!
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:56 AM
cd

Seamus
We've stayed at the Island Inn twice and would stay there again. They have efficienties, 1,2,3 bedrooms. The efficienty would be great as you would have a small kitchen for breakfast foods, beer, martini's and snacks... Ask for a balcony room facing the beach and watch glorious setsets from there!

Also, let me vouch for Joan's restaurant! Don makes the BEST spread for crackers!!
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 10:57 AM
cd

Opps, forgot the link: http://www.islandinnresort.com/